PDA

View Full Version : German Styles?

WaitingSoLong
July 8th, 2011, 08:38 AM
There is a German festival next weekend and I thought I could do something traditional with my hair. I have just spent too long looking through YouTube and searching LHC. All I can find are crown braids or heidi braids. Are these really traditional?

And all the heidi braid tutorials are for hair shorter than mine. What would I do with the leftover braid?

Any other suggestions?

I have a style in my album that I could do, even though I made it up. I am having trouble linking it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4967&pictureid=91915

My album is private so not sure if it will even work.

Gulbahar
July 8th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I don't know that there is a "German style" in hair and I am German. But I like the picture you've linked to. Looks very suitable for that kind of occasion.

Madora
July 8th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Heidi braids seem to be considered traditional in Germany..but they are also seen in Scandinavian countries, in Switzerland, etc.

You should have no trouble doing heidi braids (if that is your choice). Just tuck the ends under the braids already in place.

Or, you might want to do a tri braided bun..or a rose bun. Or perhaps the Victorian braided hairstyle (the mini braids thingie).

There's also the "bun with an accent braid" mixed in which is easy to do yet looks beautiful.

I'm sure your hair will look wonderful, whatever style you select!

Mrspuddinhead
July 8th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I too suggest Heidi braids. You could even add yellow, black, and red ribbons.

WaitingSoLong
July 8th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Ok I am confused about tucking the braid on a heidi braid. I would have the fold the braid back up and I think the fold would be...not a nice look. THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP374OC1jPI)is what I am talking about. Maybe heidi braid is also referred to as a "fake" crown braid, which goes all the way around.

Melisande
July 8th, 2011, 01:03 PM
A traditional German style would also be two simple braids or "Schnecken", i.e., braided buns over the ears (my grandmother wore those when she was young, long before Princess Leia). And my mother´s favorite doll had such snails, too:

http://pics.ricardostatic.ch/2_644936736_450/puppen/baerbel-puppe-schildkroet-34-cm-gross-braune-schneckenfrisur.jpg

(her doll was cuter, though)

A parody of traditional Swiss hairstyles, worn by Lieselotte Pulver in a 50s movie:

http://85.214.56.41/movieman/Images/Film/00023755_KohlhieselsToechter_002-1.jpg

Have fun :-)

*Rose Red*
July 8th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I don´t know any traditional hair styles from Germany. I am not sure if these heidi braids are german, because heidi was from switzerland :D but I think it will look good for such a festival, or the "schnecken" that melisande posted!

WaitingSoLong
July 8th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I tried the heidi braids and I just couldn't do it with my length. I did dual rosebuns, which I have done before, and my mom thought it looked German. How does one secure the buns over ears?

DakarNick
July 8th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Are those Princess Leia buns?

Madora
July 8th, 2011, 10:52 PM
@Waitingsolong...

I am curious. Why couldn't you do the Heidi braids? Your hair certainly looks long enough to style it that way!

As for the "princess Leia" buns, I'd imagine you would coil the hair ONCE, pinning that coil in the 4 directions with long, crimped hairpins. Once the first coil is pinned, continue directing the braid around the coil, pinning as you go. This coiled braided bun style can be a little tricky because the gravity issues are a little harder to deal with than if the bun was at the back of your head.
The flater you can pin the coils to the head, the more comfortable the style will be..and a lot easier to pin too!

teela1978
July 8th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I think the amish braids style (in this amish observations thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30688&highlight=amish+braids) would probably be a neat way to wear hair to a festival. A bit old fashioned and intricate looking.

Renbirde
July 8th, 2011, 11:24 PM
How are you doing the Heidi braids? If the way in that YouTube Link isn't working, try pulling them BEHIND your head first, crossing them there, and then wrapping them up and around the top of your head. Hopefully your ends will be at the sides or behind, and you can just tuck them in as you pin everything down.

Is your hair long enough to do a coronet braid? (One English or Dutch braid, wrapped around the head and pinned.)

If you end up doing the Schnecken, lots of pins, and hair nets! You can get fine ones that are almost invisible, and they keep an over-the-ear bun like that more stable. :)

St.Germain
July 9th, 2011, 03:12 AM
I agree on wrapping the "Heidi braids" across the back and then over the top. That's how I do it, and my hair's about mid-thigh. I also dutch braid mine first, all the way down to the nape, rather than englishing up on the sides like the shorties tend to do. This is advantageous in that rather than using a ton of pins, I use two snap clips (http://craftsuppliesforless.com/images/2insnapclip.jpg) to hold the braids near the top, and one hair pin (the kind that flat on one side) to hold the ends together, tucked up underneath.

I can probably draw a picture if necessary. I actually confused myself a little in trying to explain that.

It looks like this (http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/5992/dsc00090y.jpg) from the side. I don't know if that's what you're going for, but best of luck on whatever you decide to do!

ETA: Here's (http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/640/heidibraiddiagram.jpg) a diagram anyway, since I went ahead and made it.

Katze
July 9th, 2011, 03:21 AM
heh, funny, I am an American living in Germany and I used to get funny looks when I wore braids, but this summer they seem to be 'in.' So maybe now they are 'German' since I see many young women (my students) with them, though they tend to have one decorative braid holding bangs/side hair back, and not very elaborate braids at all.

People do associate these hairdos with old traditional costumes but I think Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Scandinavia as well as Germany and Switzerland. My family is partially from Norway and our grandmother dressed us three blonde girls (my cousins and I) in traditional costumes and of course we had braids...!

I really like two French braids starting at my hairline then pinned around to imitate the crown braid style (see profile pic). I've liked these 'dos long before they were ever fashionable, because they suit my own personal look, which is kind of retro, kind of punk.

Mesmerise
July 9th, 2011, 03:29 AM
So maybe now they are 'German' since I see many young women (my students) with them, though they tend to have one decorative braid holding bangs/side hair back, and not very elaborate braids at all.

This sort of style is quite common where I live in Australia. Lots of young girls (teens mostly) wearing braids in the bangs, down the side of the head.

I think what is "traditional" and what is commonly worn today, is very different!

My friend's daughter had to do Germany as her school project (my daughter was very jealous as SHE wanted Germany!!) and needed to dress up in a traditional German costume. I basically advised the Heidi braids (for shorter/mid length hair) for her.

Blandine
July 9th, 2011, 03:52 AM
If you plan to do those Schnecken, it must be 3-strand "English" braids, no rope braids. This is a traditional style for little girls, though. They are pinned over the ears, Princess Leia buns are higher up (and not German).

2 long "English" braids down the back were the everyday style for girls. Being allowed to wear the hair in an updo (from the age of about 16/17) instead of down braids was a sign of being "grown up".

The traditional style for adult women was some kind of braided updo. Either crown braids or a braided bun. And some more complicated styles for festivities. However, wearing some kind of headcover, bonnet, or hat was common at least for married women.

"Victorian" styles are British, not German...

WaitingSoLong
July 9th, 2011, 08:42 AM
The heidi braids I am refering to do not go all the way around your head. I thought the video would explain. I cannot find a picture that shows the back but you braid two english braids on the sides then take them up and over and pin them by the opposite ear. They do not make a crown but a "headband" look. Once I get to the ear I have too much leftover braid. I tried to find a picture but they are all from the front. Madora, my hair is too long. We must be referring to different types of heidi braids.

Yes my hair is long enough to go all the way around for a coronet.

I am referrring to old styles, not modern. Sorry if I did not make that clear :)

I like the idea of adding ribbons.

I am struggling to see a difference with Leia braids and the Schnecken as far as location. Leias buns were cinnabuns, not braided. I have never tried Schnecken. You cannot pin the bottom so they woudl hang like flaps. I will have to try them and see.

How are you doing the Heidi braids? If the way in that YouTube Link isn't working, try pulling them BEHIND your head first, crossing them there, and then wrapping them up and around the top of your head. Hopefully your ends will be at the sides or behind, and you can just tuck them in as you pin everything down.

Is your hair long enough to do a coronet braid? (One English or Dutch braid, wrapped around the head and pinned.)

Ok hmm, what is the difference between the final look of these two options? Both have hte braid go all the way around.

I like the idea of a bun with a braid accent. The ones I see tend to look more victorian. I did want to try to do German style. I looked at some old German pictures online and they basically have hair swooped back to cover the ears and then a simple bun in the back. Guess I wanted something more elaborate. LOL.

St. Germain: thanks for the diagram! The dual french braids are what I did with the photo I linked earlier. Instead of wrapping them coronet style I just did a heart shape thing.

Thanks everyone. I will continue to experiment over the next few days. I spent a long time trying different stuff yesterday. I liked the dual rose buns but if rosies are not traditional I will probably try a laced coronet or something. I don't have any lace and I only have a week to figure this out!

Haven't looked at the Amish link yet.

Chromis
July 9th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Here's a thread from back when was asking the same question: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13153&highlight=dirndl

What has worked the best for me is a false crown braid and I have done the snail buns as well. I tried the monkey swings, which is a more girlish look, but my husband refused to be seen with me if I went out like that lol.

Renbirde
July 9th, 2011, 10:13 PM

Yes my hair is long enough to go all the way around for a coronet.

Ok hmm, what is the difference between the final look of these two options? Both have hte braid go all the way around.

The first would give you a crown of two thinner braids, where the second would give you one thicker braid. Just a little difference. :)