PDA

View Full Version : Long awaited trim - pics

julliams
July 8th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I finally went and had a trim to my hair. I was all ready to do face framing layers and all kinds of layers at the back, but I wasn't really sure if that's what I wanted.

I sat down in the chair, was offered a beverage (which I accepted) and then we chatted. I told her I hadn't had a trim in 15 months, news at which her jaw absolutely hit the floor. She seems quite in awe of my hair and said that except for the last 2 inches, it was in great condition. She said firstly, that a change of style would cost extra (I had a coupon), but said that honestly in her opinion, long hair like this in healthy condition is quite rare and she would go with it. I told her my original goal was hip length with a U shape and she agreed that a U shape is the best for my hair. She said she would do the layer thing if I wanted it, but she said that I needed length to pull my curl down (like I like) and that if I went with layers I would have this annoying poufy thing going on at the back (which I know all too well).

I agreed to stick with the plan and she cut about 2 and a half inches off (I think).

Here is the before (day old hair, having run a brush through it the night before) and the after (at night so the quality of the pic is not that great) of course, all smooth and straightened. I always just go with that because it's a rare thing for me to have straightened hair.

I'm pretty happy. I'm still at waist length so I've got to start all over again to get to hip, but at least I'm mostly one length now so I can really enjoy getting there. I'm pretty happy with it. My daughter got her hair cut as well (layers and side fringe) and she is thrilled with her's. They were a great salon who said they promoted the health of the hair over anything (but she still flat-ironed my hair - lol).
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6021/5914784309_50716bfd91.jpg http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6011/5914592945_efed969d77.jpghttp://farm7.static.flickr.com/6133/5917556076_714ddc7400.jpg

seaj
July 8th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Your hair looks awesome in both pictures. I do like the U shape a little better though.

Bohemian Haze
July 8th, 2011, 03:53 AM
OH! Gorgeous hair! Hardly seems to be any length difference -but, woah, it looks SO healthy!

theodora
July 8th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Your hair is absolutely stunning, it's such an inspiration! I love a U shape and I think yours is really really lovely.

MonaLisa
July 8th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Glad to say I don't see almost any difference in length! Probably because it's straight.
I love your hair, it looks perfect!
Both before and after!
Prefer it wavy tho!
Hope it will grow fast now :)

Dina L.
July 8th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Your hair does look very healthy indeed! :)
I like the U-shape and love your hair, it's beautiful!

bunzfan
July 8th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Your hair looks great it looks so lush now. I did a similar thing had 2 inches off and i'm back to BSL but least we have healthy hair right. Hopefully your hair will grow fast now as its had a good trim i always find that helps growth.

Ligeia_13
July 8th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Wow, that look so healthy. And I have to agree, the U suits your hair so much :)

Ishje
July 8th, 2011, 04:14 AM
it looks awesome! I like that V shape on you. your hair is so thick and healthy!

julliams
July 8th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Thanks everyone!! I'm going to enjoy having pin-straight hair for a few days and then I'll see how it goes in my natural wurly state. Hopefully I don't get too much shrinkage but truely, I'm happy at this length so anything more is a big bonus.

Toiréasa
July 8th, 2011, 04:32 AM
You have beautiful hair,I too love the U shape and you can hardly tell anything was cut off.

newbeginning
July 8th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Beautiful both ways. I'm glad you found someone who understands long hair.

pink.sara
July 8th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Lovely cut. And although it does look beautiful straightened I love how your waves show your natural highlights. :)

Mesmerise
July 8th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Looks lovely! You didn't seem to lose too much length (although it's a little hard to tell with it straightened). It looks beautiful straight, but it will also look gorgeous with your natural waves!

julliams
July 8th, 2011, 05:38 AM
I'm sure I'll lose another inch once it dries wurly. I'll add a pic to this thread in a couple of days.

ArienEllariel
July 8th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Looks great both ways. I'm partial to the first but then again, I'm weird like that and like the uneven look. The second looks fantastic as well. :)

Carolyn
July 8th, 2011, 05:56 AM
It looks great! Don't worry about the straightening. Enjoy it until you wash your hair the next time. I don't think it looks that much shorter. I love getting mine straightened when I get a trim. There is just something so cool about having really straight hair. I hope you got the stylist's name so you can go back to her in the future. Your picture almost makes me want to go back to a U shape again.

skyblue
July 8th, 2011, 06:06 AM
your hair looks really really good!
nice thick ends congrats!!
BTW I love your hair in its natural state too!

spitfire511
July 8th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Oh it looks so lovely and healthy!

jujube
July 8th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Very nice hemline, and I find your length just beautiful, it falls perfectly.

MissHair
July 8th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Amazing! Looked good before but looks even better now! It looks thicker!

sugar&nutmeg
July 8th, 2011, 06:47 AM
When I saw your name associated with "trim", I confess, I was a bit apprehensive.

But it looks wonderful! Can't wait to see how it looks wurly.

What a lovely stylist, too, being all logical and stuff about your hair type, and talking you out of things you might regret. She's a keeper.

pixiestar
July 8th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Wow, looks absolutely gorgeous:D

julliams
July 8th, 2011, 07:12 AM
When I saw your name associated with "trim", I confess, I was a bit apprehensive.

But it looks wonderful! Can't wait to see how it looks wurly.

What a lovely stylist, too, being all logical and stuff about your hair type, and talking you out of things you might regret. She's a keeper.

Yes and she suggested I braid my hair to sleep at night to keep it in better condition. I was surprised at that. And this was a high end salon right next to the 4 Seasons hotel in Sydney.

chahuahuas
July 8th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Wow, your hair looks so SHINY in the straightened pic.

I think its fun to straighten your hair every once in a blue moon. (while keeping it natural the rest of the time, of course.) I think nearly-virginal hair looks SOOO healthy and shiny and fun when it's straightened. A real confidence booster, and I can finally realize my actual length when I do it :D

littlenvy
July 8th, 2011, 07:22 AM
:) Its BEAUTIFUL!!

schweedie
July 8th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Gah, your hair is so gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing the new cut when wurly, too!

Roscata
July 8th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Very pretty, I love the U shape it came out quite nicely. :)

October
July 8th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Your hair looks great. :)

vintage88
July 8th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Stunning:) i'm also glad you had a hairdresser who listened to you!!

Corvus
July 8th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Your hair looks fabulous!!!

I'm going for my first trim in about 18 months on Tuesday. I really think my hair needs it as the ends feel crunchy and I have a few split ends. I don't know why I waited so long 'cause I always like it when my hair is trimmed - it feels so neat and tidy!

Red_Wednesday
July 8th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Just beautiful!! I love the shape of the hemline. It's so nice you have a salon to go to where you can trust them to do what you ask. I'm telling you, if I could find such a place too I'd hold on for dear life, LOL.

Madora
July 8th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I'm happy to see that you met a hairstylist that is concerned about your hair..and not the style!

Your hair is lovely and looks wonderful. I'm kinda partial to the original photo...such a beautiful head of hair with those lovely waves!

Glad you had a positive hair experience!

QueenJoey
July 8th, 2011, 09:04 AM
If it's possible, your hair actually looks longer in the after shot! And definitely healthy and shiny! Very pretty, love the hemline.

chahuahuas
July 8th, 2011, 09:12 AM
If it's possible, your hair actually looks longer in the after shot! And definitely healthy and shiny! Very pretty, love the hemline.

It probably looks longer because she her stylist straightened it in the after show. Like julliams mentioned, it'll shrink up a bit after she lets it wave naturally again in a few days. I'm going to look out for her wavy after pic, since curious to see how her waves react to the cut.

lindaton
July 8th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Lovely hair and so thick.

Lishamatish
July 8th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Wow, I have never heard of such a nice and logical hair dresser!

And absolutely stunning hair. Your U shape it wonderful... it reminds me of how they draw cartoon hair... like Ariel... lots of beautiful volume but then ending in an adorable little peak :)

cindy58
July 8th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Your hair looks so pretty!

Off topic, how is your puppy doing?

KittyLost
July 8th, 2011, 12:08 PM
It looks amazing, before and after.

Spring
July 8th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Beautiful before and after!

CoconutLover
July 8th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Lovely! I love the colour and the U hemline definitely suits your thick hair.

Its nice to see someone have a great salon experience!

Tressie
July 8th, 2011, 03:03 PM
It looks lovely before and after! Congratulations! :blossom:

layla<33
July 8th, 2011, 03:07 PM
i love how the u shape looks on your hair:D and i just love your color! :)

vanity_acefake
July 8th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Your hair looks beautiful. Before and after.
:)

Macaroni
July 8th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Your hair is pretty in the first picture and stunning in the second :)

MrsGuther
July 8th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Your hair looks awesome!!! Even before the trim it looks awesome. :) You have beautiful hair!

dragonchickx
July 8th, 2011, 04:14 PM
your hair is amazing!! I love how she trimmed it so simple and healthy looking thats what I am still trying to get to..

May
July 8th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Gorgeous! Nothing like a good trim to give shape and definition. Love it.

Lostsoule77
July 8th, 2011, 04:24 PM
It looks so shiny and thick! It's funny that it looks so thick because usually curly hair looks thicker. I'm glad you had such a good experience. Let's hope she's still there when you need your next trim. :) I can't wait to see the wurly pics when you post them.

julliams
July 8th, 2011, 09:11 PM
New natural pic added to the first page - not sure if I got the black top I was wearing in the same place but it's not a huge change in the length. Still a smidge wet in that shot but I'm in a rush to get out and meet my mum for lunch so I just don't have another half hour. This should give a pretty good idea anyway.

l0nd0nbr1dg3
July 8th, 2011, 09:13 PM
i like the new shape :) still looks long its very nice

meishkamooshka
July 8th, 2011, 09:13 PM
*drools*

Your hair....so pretty...want to have....:thudpile:

spidermom
July 8th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Oh my; too gorgeous!

freckles
July 9th, 2011, 02:48 AM
your hair is absolutely amazing! I am a huge fan of your natural wave/curl pattern :)