PDA

View Full Version : strange hair... compliments?

suraque
July 7th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Here's a story for you.

Once I was shopping in walmart. My hair was just pulled back into a ponytail, nothing special. This lady came up to me and was like "oh, what a lovely hairpiece you have! It looks so real." and I'm like "oh, thanks, I suppose. It is real." "No, I mean your ponytail clip on. It looks like it's your real hair." "I know, it is." "Okay..." awkward silence.

I always get weird compliments like that about my hair.
So, I was wondering if anyone else ever had to convince anyone that their hair, is indeed, not chemically altered or fake in anyway.

Calaelen
July 7th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Every time I go into Sally Beauty, they ask me where I got extensions so long...

My hair is one length and 42 inches...So I guess they just can't imagine hair that long being real. I really find it amusing, because when I have to show them it is real they are in awe. Do extensions come in 42 inch lengths?? I've not seen it, and I'm a stylist.

Bene
July 7th, 2011, 08:41 PM
So, I was wondering if anyone else ever had to convince anyone that their hair, is indeed, not chemically altered or fake in anyway.

I can't think of any reason why I'd ever have to convince anyone that my hair is real. I mean, let's say someone thinks my hair is fake for whatever reason, what purpose would it serve to try to convince them otherwise? :laugh:

suraque
July 7th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I can't think of any reason why I'd ever have to convince anyone that my hair is real. I mean, let's say someone thinks my hair is fake for whatever reason, what purpose would it serve to try to convince them otherwise? :laugh:

Well,
I didn't mean it so... literally? I don't know, actually. :(

Maybe not so much 'convince' as in someone questioning your hair?

chahuahuas
July 7th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I got a strange hair compliment the other day. The strangeness was in the delivery: I am a junior in college, and a boy passed me a note in my calculus class. At first I thought he was passing it from someone else (hopefully a girl?), but it was actually from him! What kind of self respecting 20-something year old boy passes notes at this age??? It said "read it" on the front, and on the inside it said "I like your hair" with a pretty flourish. I was just thinking... you are sitting right beside me dude, could you really not wait 20 minutes until our break to say that to my face? It's not like I'm going anywhere, I sit right beside you...

To his defense, he was middle eastern (like fresh off the boat, our school gets alot of students from overseas), and so I guess he isn't really used to the culture.

DoubleCrowned
July 7th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I know a lady whose hair changes color so dramatically when she wears certain colors that people think she dyes it. It is a little blonder than honey. If she wears the wrong colors, only the ends look blond.

suraque
July 7th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I know a lady whose hair changes color so dramatically when she wears certain colors that people think she dyes it. It is a little blonder than honey. If she wears the wrong colors, only the ends look blond.

That's crazy!

Vanilla Mint
July 7th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I got a strange hair compliment the other day. The strangeness was in the delivery: I am a junior in college, and a boy passed me a note in my calculus class. At first I thought he was passing it from someone else (hopefully a girl?), but it was actually from him! What kind of self respecting 20-something year old boy passes notes at this age??? It said "read it" on the front, and on the inside it said "I like your hair" with a pretty flourish. I was just thinking... you are sitting right beside me dude, could you really not wait 20 minutes until our break to say that to my face? It's not like I'm going anywhere, I sit right beside you...

To his defense, he was middle eastern (like fresh off the boat, our school gets alot of students from overseas), and so I guess he isn't really used to the culture.
Aww, this seems a little unfair! Even if it weren't a difference of culture, why is it weird to pass a cute note? That would've made my day, personally, flourish and everything!

DoubleCrowned
July 7th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I knew another lady who accepted compliments on her wig from people who assumed it was her hair, even answering yes if asked if it was her hair. She told me, "It is my hair. I bought it."

McFearless
July 7th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I knew another lady who accepted compliments on her wig from people who assumed it was her hair, even answering yes if asked if it was her hair. She told me, "It is my hair. I bought it."

LOL she is my hero.

chahuahuas
July 7th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Aww, this seems a little unfair! Even if it weren't a difference of culture, why is it weird to pass a cute note? That would've made my day, personally, flourish and everything!

I love upfront compliments, but I feel like going to the lengths of tearing out paper & writing a note, when we're sitting in class and supposed to be paying attention to the instructor (this is college, remember... we pay to be there) is not appropriate for this setting. I don't understand why he couldn't just tell me! Him to spend the time to write a note also kinda skeeves me out since I feel like he's fixating a bit, if he's spending that long thinking about my hair in the middle of class... like, the difference between, "oh, hey, by the way, i noticed your hair is really nice" and "wow i've been sitting here thinking about nothing but your hair"

Plus, passing notes for me is reminiscent of elementary/middle school flirting (check yes if you like me!). That was a bigger part of it. I mentioned the cultural difference, because maybe he's flirted with or seen kids flirting via notes. To be in your 20s and be flirting by passing notes creeps me out, so maybe it was that connotation that was the weirdest to me.

Bene
July 7th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Writing a note and passing it takes like what? 5 seconds? :laugh: I'm (technically) an adult and I STILL pass notes in class. It's hardly fixating, just politer than whispering and disturbing other people around you.

Then again, different standards.

chahuahuas
July 7th, 2011, 09:33 PM
My school is HUGE with like 30,000 people, so I'm usually a stranger to the majority of the people in my classes. I usually go about my business in them, and occasionally ask them for help with what the instructor is discussing. I guess I feel like before I'm on "note-passing terms" with someone, I want to at least have introductions first... haha. Maybe that's my weird note-passing standards I guess :shrug: (though my friends at my school thought it was really weird too... maybe it's a big school thing?)

denzelswifey86
July 7th, 2011, 09:38 PM

LOL - I am middle eastren and YES OUR MEN DO LOVE LONG HAIR :) LOL

October
July 7th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I'd be weirded out too with note passing in college. Don't get me wrong - I've done it, but only with someone I knew at least a little. It was kind of like we get to talking and class starts and our convo isn't finished so we start note passing. I would have thought it was cute in high school, but I guess now that I am married and have kids (and go to college) - getting random notes from strange boys I've never said a word to is a little odd.

Vanilla Mint
July 7th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I love upfront compliments, but I feel like going to the lengths of tearing out paper & writing a note, when we're sitting in class and supposed to be paying attention to the instructor (this is college, remember... we pay to be there) is not appropriate for this setting. I don't understand why he couldn't just tell me! Him to spend the time to write a note also kinda skeeves me out since I feel like he's fixating a bit, if he's spending that long thinking about my hair in the middle of class... like, the difference between, "oh, hey, by the way, i noticed your hair is really nice" and "wow i've been sitting here thinking about nothing but your hair"

Plus, passing notes for me is reminiscent of elementary/middle school flirting (check yes if you like me!). That was a bigger part of it. I mentioned the cultural difference, because maybe he's flirted with or seen kids flirting via notes. To be in your 20s and be flirting by passing notes creeps me out, so maybe it was that connotation that was the weirdest to me.
I think I can see what you mean. There's a bit of a creepy factor in imagining a grown stranger vacillating for half a class period over whether or not to write you a note about your hair. I didn't consider the context as much, either; I know that I don't usually want to be noticed in any huge way when I am trying to focus on a class, and I also tend to feel a little threatened by strange dudes who seem a little too eager to give compliments if I don't have any friends around. :\

chahuahuas
July 7th, 2011, 09:47 PM
LOL - I am middle eastren and YES OUR MEN DO LOVE LONG HAIR :) LOL

haha, he said he liked my curls :o maybe long hair that's very ringlet-y is novel to him?

suraque
July 7th, 2011, 09:49 PM
This may not be a compliment...
but, I think it's funny.

I went to a boarding school when I was younger.
13 to 15ish. My roommate was convinced that my mother was lying to me about who my father was. Dead serious.
One time when my mother came to visit she was like "I KNOW YOU'RE LYING ABOUT WHO THE FATHER IS, SHE CAN'T BE ALL WHITE..."

Oh, I guess I have to explain my hair. :x
I have
extremely curly hair... and I'm extremely white.
For some reason, people just don't think that's possible.

So, she thought that I must be mixed with some other ethnicity to explain my hair.

My mother still teases me about it. "Hi, mom. I talked to father today." "Oh? Are you sure it was REALLY your father? ;)" ahahaha.

chahuahuas
July 7th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I think I can see what you mean. There's a bit of a creepy factor in imagining a grown stranger vacillating for half a class period over whether or not to write you a note about your hair. I didn't consider the context as much, either; I know that I don't usually want to be noticed in any huge way when I am trying to focus on a class, and I also tend to feel a little threatened by strange dudes who seem a little too eager to give compliments if I don't have any friends around. :\

I'd be weirded out too with note passing in college. Don't get me wrong - I've done it, but only with someone I knew at least a little. It was kind of like we get to talking and class starts and our convo isn't finished so we start note passing. I would have thought it was cute in high school, but I guess now that I am married and have kids (and go to college) - getting random notes from strange boys I've never said a word to is a little odd.

Yaaaay proper context has been reached! My friends always complain I tell terrible stories, and I guess this is an example of why! :p

suraque
July 7th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Yaaaay proper context has been reached! My friends always complain I tell terrible stories, and I guess this is an example of why! :p

I would just think of it as...
an archaic form of texting. :P

Bene
July 7th, 2011, 10:00 PM

This.

And I'd be totally skeeved out if someone stopped me after a class to tell me they liked my hair :laugh: Like, you couldn't just pass me a freaking note? My friends and I would be talking about the freaky stalker type for a while after that. A quick note takes no real thought at all, but walking up to a stranger and talking to them like that reeks of having gone out of your way to say something.

chahuahuas
July 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM
This.

And I'd be totally skeeved out if someone stopped me after a class to tell me they liked my hair :laugh: Like, you couldn't just pass me a freaking note? My friends and I would be talking about the freaky stalker type for a while after that. A quick note takes no real thought at all, but walking up to a stranger and talking to them like that reeks of having gone out of your way to say something.

Only he wouldn't have had to stop me, I was sitting right next to him... The instructor even gives a bathroom break in the middle, meaning he would have ample time to give a compliment when I'm just sitting there waiting for class to resume.

Bene
July 7th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Only he wouldn't have had to stop me, I was sitting right next to him... The instructor even gives a bathroom break in the middle, meaning he would have ample time to give a compliment when I'm just sitting there waiting for class to resume.

Maybe he liked your hair at that moment, and figured he'd give you a note before it slipped his mind? "I'll forget to mention it during break/after class, so I'll hand her a note now. Compliment nice hair, my good deed for the day. She might think I'm creepy if I TALK to her and she doesn't even know me"

Did the note have X's and O's on it? Was there a smiley face involved?

denzelswifey86
July 7th, 2011, 10:09 PM
haha, he said he liked my curls :o maybe long hair that's very ringlet-y is novel to him?

yea - a note is kinda childish! he wanted to break the ice! to middle eastren women complimenting thier hair is the best way for a man to start a convo :p ( its a cultural thing since hair is seen as a sign of beauty)

Mesmerise
July 7th, 2011, 10:14 PM
This may not be a compliment...
but, I think it's funny.

I went to a boarding school when I was younger.
13 to 15ish. My roommate was convinced that my mother was lying to me about who my father was. Dead serious.
One time when my mother came to visit she was like "I KNOW YOU'RE LYING ABOUT WHO THE FATHER IS, SHE CAN'T BE ALL WHITE..."

Oh, I guess I have to explain my hair. :x
I have
extremely curly hair... and I'm extremely white.
For some reason, people just don't think that's possible.

So, she thought that I must be mixed with some other ethnicity to explain my hair.

My mother still teases me about it. "Hi, mom. I talked to father today." "Oh? Are you sure it was REALLY your father? ;)" ahahaha.

Haha I've known a few very white people with extremely curly hair...even hair that may qualify as in the 4s! Just because it isn't common doesn't mean it isn't possible :rolleyes:.

chahuahuas
July 7th, 2011, 10:22 PM
yea - a note is kinda childish! he wanted to break the ice! to middle eastren women complimenting thier hair is the best way for a man to start a convo :p ( its a cultural thing since hair is seen as a sign of beauty)

Yea, that does sound like a nice way to break the ice, in theory. I feel like it gets a little weird here, since in my experience, men mostly compliment beauty of the women they are romantically interested in, so its like a flirting starter. At least in a college setting. The standard ice breakers I'm used to are "how are you doing in class?" "how do you like this professor?"

She might think I'm creepy if I TALK to her and she doesn't even know me"

I didn't know it's weird to talk to someone you don't know... I make smalltalk with the people in my classes about how the class/weather/etc is going, and I give people compliments as I walk by them on the street. "Love that dress!"

suraque
July 7th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Haha I've known a few very white people with extremely curly hair...even hair that may qualify as in the 4s! Just because it isn't common doesn't mean it isn't possible :rolleyes:.

Right? Sometimes it gets really frustrating.
Always being asked 'where did you get your perm?' 'how much did it cost to get your hair done like that?' blah blah blah.
Especially if there's other things on my mind.

One day I was really irritated... and this little old lady came up and was like "What a lovely perm. I didn't know those were in style any more!" and I snapped at her "Would you accuse a black woman of having a perm, so why are you saying that about me?"

I felt bad afterwards, but she scuttled away.

denzelswifey86
July 7th, 2011, 10:34 PM
[quote=chahuahuas;1679726]Yea, that does sound like a nice way to break the ice, in theory. I feel like it gets a little weird here, since in my experience, men mostly compliment beauty of the women they are romantically interested in, so its like a flirting starter. At least in a college setting. The standard ice breakers I'm used to are "how are you doing in class?" "how do you like this professor?"

Maybe he was trying to flirt with you! ;)

monsterna
July 7th, 2011, 10:36 PM
This thread is now about passing notes! :D

chahuahuas
July 7th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Maybe he was trying to flirt with you! ;)

Oh goodness, that's part of what I'm afraid of! I've got a nice long term BF, so I would find it terribly awkward to be flirted with right now. :uhh: "uhhh... about that....."

This thread is now about passing notes!

Maybe I've inspired a legion of note-passers to compliment fellow long hair girlies :D

twilight_faerie
July 7th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I didn't know it's weird to talk to someone you don't know... I make smalltalk with the people in my classes about how the class/weather/etc is going, and I give people compliments as I walk by them on the street. "Love that dress!"

Yeah, really. How can anyone make friends if you can't talk to people you don't know without wondering if they'll think you're a creep for talking to them? It's called being friendly.

suraque
July 7th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Maybe he liked your hair at that moment, and figured he'd give you a note before it slipped his mind? "I'll forget to mention it during break/after class, so I'll hand her a note now. Compliment nice hair, my good deed for the day. She might think I'm creepy if I TALK to her and she doesn't even know me"

Did the note have X's and O's on it? Was there a smiley face involved?

Yes!
If there was a winky face, he totally wants in your pants. :eyebrows:

Bene
July 7th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Winky face with some tongue and plenty of little hearts all around it. And a "check the yes/no box option", he's got your future children's names picked out.

gretchen_hair
July 7th, 2011, 10:48 PM
hehehe, that's funny!

I am surprised with all the technology that he didn't do a bluetooth search and text!

oktobergoud
July 8th, 2011, 04:25 PM

Woah what a discussion about this!

You know what I think? That he just might have been a bit shy and just didn't dare to talk to you, you know? He probably didn't mean to be 'creepy' or anything :)

excentricat
July 8th, 2011, 04:57 PM
It may also be that he has seen tv shows about what it's like in America, and they all pass notes, so he was trying to practice being American with his flirting.

Pierre
July 8th, 2011, 05:43 PM
τας τρίχας, ώ Νικυλλα, τίνες βαπτειν σε φησιν,
άς συ μελαινοτατας έξ άγορας έπριω.
The golden hair that Gulla wears
Is hers—who would have thought it?
She swears 'tis hers, and true she swears,
For I know where she bought it.
(Translation of Martial's Latin, not the Greek, in which her hair is black.)

pepperminttea
July 8th, 2011, 06:05 PM
You know what I think? That he just might have been a bit shy and just didn't dare to talk to you, you know? He probably didn't mean to be 'creepy' or anything :)

Agreed, maybe he's just shy, especially if he hasn't got a full grasp of English yet? I'm socially awkward; it can take me months of deliberating to say something out loud (I wish I was kidding), I'd be much more likely to write a note - especially if I was nursing a crush on the person I was trying to talk to. :o

Bene
July 8th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Or maybe he thought a note was a good precursor to sleazy tongue flicking? :D "Thees eees how joo get the Amereekan wimmen!"

Yes, I'm quoting from Scarface :o

chahuahuas
July 8th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Agreed, maybe he's just shy, especially if he hasn't got a full grasp of English yet? I'm socially awkward; it can take me months of deliberating to say something out loud (I wish I was kidding), I'd be much more likely to write a note - especially if I was nursing a crush on the person I was trying to talk to. :o

A boy trying to flirt with me who isn't brave enough to introduce himself to my face sounds like my worst nightmare! (besides the part about not having a full grasp on english, of course. that would make it more understandable.) But maybe some of you don't mind, and even prefer a meeker guy?