PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody use synthedic henna?

Meagan
July 7th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I think that's what you call it. I bought black henna by accient thinking it was natural and pure, but it's not, i got it at an indian shop. It doesnt have list of ingredients either. It's fine black powder. I did a strand test a while ago it came out nice, no harsh chemical reactions....heres a pic of the product, it's by Noorani.

http://eng.bitkiseldagitim.com/pictures/small_DESTEK%20NOORAN%C4%B0%20S%C4%B0YAH%20H%C4%B0 NT%20KINASI%206%20LI.JPG

Am i better off just using drug store colour?

selderon
July 7th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I think that's what you call it. I bought black henna by accient thinking it was natural and pure, but it's not, i got it at an indian shop. It doesnt have list of ingredients either. It's fine black powder. I did a strand test a while ago it came out nice, no harsh chemical reactions....heres a pic of the product, it's by Noorani.

http://eng.bitkiseldagitim.com/pictures/small_DESTEK%20NOORAN%C4%B0%20S%C4%B0YAH%20H%C4%B0 NT%20KINASI%206%20LI.JPG

Am i better off just using drug store colour?

With no ingredient list? Yes!

So-called "black henna" often contains a little henna and a lot of other things, including metallic salts which react poorly with traditional hair color. Poorly as in sizzling and smoking, if I recall correctly.

If you want to achieve black hair, it would be safer to use a good quality box color or pure body art quality (BAQ) henna and indigo (henna first, indigo second).

Alvrodul
July 7th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Henna is the dried and powdered leaves of lawsonia inermis. If there is something else in that package, that is if it is a compound henna, it may well be something you _don't_ want to mix with chemical colorants - many compound hennas have metallic salts mixed in - and if your hair later meets up with chemical dyes, your hair is going to get fried from the bad chemical reactions.
There could also be para-phenylenediamine (PPD) mixed in, which is also bad news for hair, in addition to that being a very allergy-inducing chemical.

celebriangel
July 7th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Eeek! Run away!

There are plenty of henndigo kits which you can purchase which will give you black hair if you follow the instructions. Henndigo gives beautiful, shining shades - just look over on the henndigo thread :)

I would step away from the chemical dye. I had massive shedding issues from those.