PDA

View Full Version : CO and shine question

whiteisle
June 23rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
I've been trying CO for about a month now, with a few shampoos thrown in. I really like how gentle it is and how soft and snag free it makes my hair. However, it doesn't tend to give much shine unless I use something with cones and I've found after about 3 washes with a cone conditioner, my hair starts feeling more dry. So then I clarify and start over with a cone-free conditioner, don't get much shine, go to cone conditioner.........so the cycle has been.

My usual routine is to WO at night after working out and then do either Mega-tek or MN on the scalp and then wash in the morning. I'd really like to be cone-free but don't know what conditioner or other product to use to give a little shine to the locks. I've been using Suave Naturals, VO5 and Pantene (my cone one) as my conditioners. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Cinnamon.locks
June 23rd, 2008, 05:05 PM
Have you tried? would you be willing to use a shine oil? like IC olive oil? I use it and my hair shines well even when i do use no cones. I usually CO w/ Suave Coconut condish and it has worked well for me. I have the same problem, when i CO with no cones my hair tends to shine less than with the suave proffesionals with cones. I have been using the IC oil on my hair for years (over 15 years.) and it works well maybe you should try it and see what happens? Hopes i helped.

whiteisle
June 23rd, 2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the response......but may I ask what IC oil is?:o

xrosiex
June 23rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
What really works for me is 1tbsp. ACV mixed in 24ozs of distilled water. I use it as my final rinse. And it really helps the shine.:)

whiteisle
June 23rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
Can you use an ACV rinse everyday without drying out or damage?

wintersun99
June 23rd, 2008, 05:47 PM

Cinnamon.locks
June 23rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Sorry i forgot to add the brand name.....Fantasia IC oil. you can buy it at any sally's beauty supply, there are different types, they have a repair oil, olive, for colored hair, etc. i use both the repair and the olive oil.

It is a general hair oil to add shine and moisturize, but it does have cones. other alternatives are natural oils like almond, coconut, olive, jojoba. i have tried them all but stick to the Fantasia IC oil because my hair has a special weird reaction to natural oils, the ends get very dry and crackly when i use natural oils after my CO, so i usually use the natural oils on deep moisture treatments and other treatments.

BTW have you tried doing a weekly SMT? (deep moisture treatments.) the deep moisture treatments helped me with shine when i first started doing CO's.

HTH. BTW you have nice shine in your pic.

MotherConfessor
June 23rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
I'm a fan of coconut oil after a wash. I find the acv to be essential as well. I would not worry about the acv drying it out, particularly if you oil a bit.

LuXious
June 24th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I've been wondering about the acv rinse, too. co'ed for the first time today and saw dull oiliness. Let us know if it works, whiteisle. I'm going to try it next time.

nicolina
June 24th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I second the acv suggestion. I CO twice a week, using ACV one of those two times, and I also do a final rinse in cold water, as cold as I can stand. I also lightly oil it the night before the CO/ACV wash, and so far no problems with build-up/dullness. I have only been CO for three weeks, though...

ChloeDharma
June 24th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I find adding honey to conditioner really increases shine....also Jojoba oil and Broccoli Seed oil used very lightly after washing helps me too. Coconut oil used lightly also gives me shine but i find it really hard not to turn a coconut oiling into a heavy oiling....but thats just me.

burns_erin
June 24th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Very dilute ACV rinse and I favor grapeseed oil for shine and protection.

Fillette
June 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I would suggest using just a little bit of oil with your conditioner. I am still waiting to try coconut oil. Right now, I use a little bit of olive oil. You litterally need no more than a couple of drops. It has made a great difference in my hair. (Which reminds that I should probably update my signature to show the improvement...)

savi
June 24th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I find adding honey to conditioner really increases shine....also Jojoba oil and Broccoli Seed oil used very lightly after washing helps me too. Coconut oil used lightly also gives me shine but i find it really hard not to turn a coconut oiling into a heavy oiling....but thats just me.

Honey does the trick for me too. As does oiling.

eterea
June 3rd, 2011, 02:29 PM
honey, linseed gel and egg yolk as hairmask is the best for me, but I also a rinse with aloe or camomile & lemon or 1 tbs honey :p

cygus
June 16th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I second the ACV rinse after a CO wash. with hard water, it really helps with the shine. also, maybe you're doing too many things at once. have you tried just CO washing for awhile without doing anything else? (including the ACV rinse at the end)