PDA

View Full Version : Stuff that will/might change your hair color

C.H.
July 7th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I've seen it mentioned in various threads that certain substances can change hair color--honey, certain oils, etc--and would like to create some kind of list or at least consolidate information/personal experiences on this topic in one thread. I'm probably not alone in wanting to avoid inadvertently changing my hair color while experimenting with hair treatments.

I know Nightshade's article on coloring hair with natural ingredients does touch on this, but it's geared towards recipes specifically designed to change color and doesn't cover oils among other things.

Also, I understand some things only have this effect under certain circumstances (when mixed or not mixed with X, when heated or exposed to sunlight, with prolonged use, etc) or may only have a noticeable effect on certain hair colors, so a little more detail would be welcome.

I am particularly interested in personal experiences. Perhaps some of you have experienced unexpected color change with ingredients not commonly known to have this effect.

gthlvrmx
July 7th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I just found out coconut oil has a natural peroxide in it so it can lighten some people's hair. I can't really say much more though, another LHCer just told me they cannot use it for that reason :p

Becky9679
July 7th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Something I didn't know when I starting using ACV is that it can cause hair to get redder over time. But since I henndigo anyway this isn't much of an issue for me!

MissCoco
July 7th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Some that may not be as well known as, for example, honey or amla, is ACV and walnut (as an ingredient in shampoo). ACV gives red 'streaks' in your hair and walnut kind of gives a dull light brown (for me, anyway). Also, Shikakai and possibly Hibiscus herbal rinses give red highlights as well.

I confirm what gthlvrmx has said on coconut lightening the hair-- every once in a while I find golden hairs, especially in the ends of my hair. It's so strange, but pretty cool! :cool:

ETA: Ah, I was typing for too long and Becky9679 beat me to it! :p

selderon
July 7th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Tea is supposed to produce reddish highlights.

SallyCinnamon
July 7th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Hmmm... non-permanent dye that claims it will wash out in a month or so often permanently dyes lighter hair. It will fade, but will not completely wash out.

Apple cider vinegar does leave reddish highlights in my hair. They wash out after a few shampoos though. They aren't permanent. People wanting to avoid the red can use white vinegar. It gives the same effect without the color.

umbrellabones
July 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
For those of you that mentioned red from ACV I'm thinking of doing an ACV rinse. How many rinses does is take for the red highlights to appear? Is it red red or orange-ish red? And how noticeable is it?

Bene
July 7th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I've also heard about ACV adding a reddish tint to hair, but I've been doing them for almost 4 years and I haven't noticed a difference.

Buggheart
July 7th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Bay leaves. When I was a kid, in the days before my parents would let me dye my hair, I used to soak bay leaves in hot water until the water turned color. I'd use it as a final rinse and it would give me reddish highlights.

SallyCinnamon
July 7th, 2011, 06:52 PM
The reddish highlights are not extremely noticeable on me unless I'm under a bright light, or in the sun. Then they show up pretty well. With my hair color (light brown) the highlights blend in nicely and look really natural.

In my experience it won't turn your hair red like using henna would. It's very subtle. I use ACV maybe 2 or 3 times a week, a couple tablespoons diluted in a big plastic cupful of water.

Cheeks1206
July 7th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Cinnamon can bleach your hair over time. Here's a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2125&highlight=bleached+hair+cinnamon) about it.

elbow chic
July 7th, 2011, 07:06 PM
really, coconut oil? That bites.

RitaCeleste
July 7th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Well, I use chemical dyes. The last one kept turning the water rusty even if I only cowashed. When I stopped using coconut oil and stayed with meadowfoam and olive oil, no more bleeding hair! The coconut oil was taking the dye right out of my hair looks like.:(