PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I EVOO'd, but now my hair feels dry!!

SoulOfTheSea
July 7th, 2011, 08:49 AM
So I did an EVOO treatment 2 days ago, and I slept with it over night. Yesterday I took a shower, shampooed my roots, conditioned my ends and now my hair is completely dry today. I thought my hair would be silky and soft, but it just feels drier than before =/ and it feels rough. What did I do wrong? :confused:

Alaia
July 7th, 2011, 08:55 AM
What shampoo and conditioner did you use? Your normal ones?

Did you do anything else differently?

Perhaps try another oil, EVOO may just not agree with you (it didn't agree with me for example, but coconut oil is fantastic!).

SoulOfTheSea
July 7th, 2011, 08:58 AM
What shampoo and conditioner did you use? Your normal ones?

Did you do anything else differently?

Perhaps try another oil, EVOO may just not agree with you (it didn't agree with me for example, but coconut oil is fantastic!).

Well, I usually use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, but yesterday I used Head and Shoulders shampoo and my old Pantene Beautiful Lengths conditioner, because my scalp felt itchy and I saw flakes. I went swimming on Monday, and I CO'd on that day. I usually use Head and Shoulders once a week to stay dandruff-free.

SoulOfTheSea
July 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I have another question: when you do a deep oiling, are you supposed to WASH the oil out entirely from root to tip with shampoo? Or do as you normally do? (which for me is only shampooing the roots and conditioning my length only)

MissAlida
July 7th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I have another question: when you do a deep oiling, are you supposed to WASH the oil out entirely from root to tip with shampoo? Or do as you normally do? (which for me is only shampooing the roots and conditioning my length only)
I had just this same question last week, and I got my answer from the CO washers. They say that after you take off the cap/towel and are ready to wash out EVOO, you apply to roots and ends conditioner and leave it on for a couple of minutes (I left it 30 min last time, under a cap). The conditioner should lift the oil or other treatment from the hair, then you just rinse and let it dry.

MissAlida
July 7th, 2011, 09:08 AM
By the way, I forgot to mention that I use the hybrid washing method as well.Shampoo the roots and condition the ends. Works fine for me. But I could never get oil out by doing this. So I use just CO when washing out an oil treatment.

SoulOfTheSea
July 7th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I had just this same question last week, and I got my answer from the CO washers. They say that after you take off the cap/towel and are ready to wash out EVOO, you apply to roots and ends conditioner and leave it on for a couple of minutes (I left it 30 min last time, under a cap). The conditioner should lift the oil or other treatment from the hair, then you just rinse and let it dry.

I shall try that next time I do an oil treatment, but for now, should I just let my hair get nice and dirty, and then hybrid wash as usual? And thank you for your advice :)

MissAlida
July 7th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I shall try that next time I do an oil treatment, but for now, should I just let my hair get nice and dirty, and then hybrid wash as usual? And thank you for your advice :)
I think if your scalp and roots are clean, you should think about wearing your hair in a cinnamon bun, that helps tame the frizz/roughness and then when your next wash is due, do the hybrid. Or if you feel unconfortable with your hair and can't take it, you could wet it and apply CO from the middle down(not your scalp). Hope this helps.:)

spidermom
July 7th, 2011, 09:25 AM
It may be that you need to clarify.

I only apply oil (almost always coconut oil) to my length after my scalp area gets oily from sebum. The next day I CWC with diluted shampoo. It takes enough of the oil out for my hair to be clean and silky again. I would assume the conditioner on my length helps to remove the oil since I've read many times that conditioner is better at removing oil than shampoo.

SoulOfTheSea
July 7th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I think if your scalp and roots are clean, you should think about wearing your hair in a cinnamon bun, that helps tame the frizz/roughness and then when your next wash is due, do the hybrid. Or if you feel unconfortable with your hair and can't take it, you could wet it and apply CO from the middle down(not your scalp). Hope this helps.

Thanks, I shall do that if I decide I cannot stand it :)

It may be that you need to clarify.

I only apply oil (almost always coconut oil) to my length after my scalp area gets oily from sebum. The next day I CWC with diluted shampoo. It takes enough of the oil out for my hair to be clean and silky again. I would assume the conditioner on my length helps to remove the oil since I've read many times that conditioner is better at removing oil than shampoo.

Would one clarify before or after the oiling?

And I shall try coconut oil as well, just in case the EVOO itself was the culprit. And I did not know that conditioner got oil out better than shampoo, so I will keep that in mind. How long do you keep the coconut oil in your hair?

LunaMoon
July 7th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I don't know how did you oil your hair. Was dry or wet?
If was dry, maybe what happened is the oil sealed the moisture in and out of your hair. Oils are great as a sealant but they are not moisturizers. Oils can add shine and make your hair stronger because of the protection. It is normal feels rough if you oil your hair dry.
I Always use oil in damp or wet hair, If I use it in dry hair the results are not nice...

spidermom
July 7th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I like to have the coconut oil on my hair overnight, but sometimes I apply it maybe an hour before I wash my hair.

If I were you, I'd skip the next oiling and give your hair a good clarifying wash from scalp to tips - wait until it needs to be washed. Or you can make a baking soda solution (1 tbsp to 1 pint of water) and pour it slowly through your hair. (Some have success with this; it dries my hair out so I don't use BS.) After clarifying, your hair should be ready to properly absorb oil (coconut oil is really good for this). You can apply a little to your clean hair - very little - or you can wait until it needs to be washed again and do a pre-wash oiling.

spidermom
July 7th, 2011, 10:05 AM
And no - oiling does not merely seal in moisture. The right oil (like coconut and olive) can be absorbed and provide essential fatty acids to the hair, which make hair much more pliable and silky, in other words - moisturize. The same is true of skin. For good moisturization, you need both water and essential fatty acids, and EFAs alone will actually provide more dry skin relief than water alone.

SoulOfTheSea
July 7th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I like to have the coconut oil on my hair overnight, but sometimes I apply it maybe an hour before I wash my hair.

If I were you, I'd skip the next oiling and give your hair a good clarifying wash from scalp to tips - wait until it needs to be washed. Or you can make a baking soda solution (1 tbsp to 1 pint of water) and pour it slowly through your hair. (Some have success with this; it dries my hair out so I don't use BS.) After clarifying, your hair should be ready to properly absorb oil (coconut oil is really good for this). You can apply a little to your clean hair - very little - or you can wait until it needs to be washed again and do a pre-wash oiling.

Thank you very much for the advice, I shall try this. I've never actually clarified my hair before... I'm a little scared it will make my hair crazy dry, but it sounds like it does wonders so I shall. Oh, and for the oiling, is it better to oil wet or dry? I have seen both work well for people, but I oiled on dry hair... maybe that was part of the problem?

spidermom
July 7th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Thank you very much for the advice, I shall try this. I've never actually clarified my hair before... I'm a little scared it will make my hair crazy dry, but it sounds like it does wonders so I shall. Oh, and for the oiling, is it better to oil wet or dry? I have seen both work well for people, but I oiled on dry hair... maybe that was part of the problem?

Definitely try it both ways. I oil dry hair when it needs to be washed. Other people oil wet, damp, or dry, clean hair as a leave-in. It attracts too much dust, lint, and animal fur (2 long-haired animals) for me.

Oh, and one more point about clarifying. Usually I dilute my shampoo and use it at the scalp area only. However, when I decide I need to clarify (hair dry, dull, tangly), I use the same shampoo - whatever I have on hand - full strength and massage the suds all the way from scalp to ends. I do this about once every 3-4 months. Then I condition as usual. I have never needed to buy a special clarifying formula. It does make my hair kind of fly-away for the first day, but that is easily handled by putting my hair up.

LunaMoon
July 7th, 2011, 11:09 AM
And no - oiling does not merely seal in moisture. The right oil (like coconut and olive) can be absorbed and provide essential fatty acids to the hair, which make hair much more pliable and silky, in other words - moisturize. The same is true of skin. For good moisturization, you need both water and essential fatty acids, and EFAs alone will actually provide more dry skin relief than water alone.
Good to know! Thanks
I didn't know skin and hair have the same needs! I use lot of oils and shea butter in my skin, and works great - I don't use any other protucts on my skin. I know that coconut oil can be absorbed for hair but never associated it with moisture... For me moisture=water.
Now I know I am wrong...
When my hair started drying up for heavy oiling with coconut oil I believed that was because was not moisturizing when applying to dry (not wet hair).
Living and learning...

jojo
July 7th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Basically you have shampooed the good the evoo did, conditioner only is best for oiled hair for any oil.

SoulOfTheSea
July 7th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Definitely try it both ways. I oil dry hair when it needs to be washed. Other people oil wet, damp, or dry, clean hair as a leave-in. It attracts too much dust, lint, and animal fur (2 long-haired animals) for me.

Oh, and one more point about clarifying. Usually I dilute my shampoo and use it at the scalp area only. However, when I decide I need to clarify (hair dry, dull, tangly), I use the same shampoo - whatever I have on hand - full strength and massage the suds all the way from scalp to ends. I do this about once every 3-4 months. Then I condition as usual. I have never needed to buy a special clarifying formula. It does make my hair kind of fly-away for the first day, but that is easily handled by putting my hair up.

Oh I never thought about using your regular shampoo to clarify, I shall try that! And so you clarify when your hair looks dry, dull and tangly? Because I would think you do the opposite and deep condition o:

Basically you have shampooed the good the evoo did, conditioner only is best for oiled hair for any oil.

I am so glad I learned this from you and spidermom, thank you! :)

spidermom
July 7th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Once hair gets buildup, it won't get the benefit of a deep conditioning treatment because the coating on the hair won't allow absorption of the good stuff.

I learned this an interesting way. I had the big python outside one day (hair down), but he didn't want to come back inside and struggled, releasing musk all over me and in my hair. My hair had been dull, dry, and tangly with nothing helping for so long that I was planning a major haircut. Anyway, it took three shampooings to get the snake musk (stinky!) smell out and wonder of wonders - my hair was silky and shiney again. No cut required.

SoulOfTheSea
July 7th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Once hair gets buildup, it won't get the benefit of a deep conditioning treatment because the coating on the hair won't allow absorption of the good stuff.

I learned this an interesting way. I had the big python outside one day (hair down), but he didn't want to come back inside and struggled, releasing musk all over me and in my hair. My hair had been dull, dry, and tangly with nothing helping for so long that I was planning a major haircut. Anyway, it took three shampooings to get the snake musk (stinky!) smell out and wonder of wonders - my hair was silky and shiney again. No cut required.

Wow I would have never logically come to that conclusion on my own, but that makes perfect sense! And that is such an awesome story, I would have been so sad having to wash my hair that many times, so who knew??? I bet you have helped tons of other LHC members who think their hair is terrible, but just need to clarify or shampoo all the way :)

PianoPlaye
I love your pic - both your amazing hair & your glorious snake!
Covets quietly...

SoulOfTheSea
spidermom that is a beautiful python btw

spidermom
July 7th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Thank you; I'll tell him you said so. He's a pretty good boy, too, for a snake. He's been handled a lot, so he's pretty docile about it.