PDA

View Full Version : No shower, what to do

Saranne772
July 7th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Is it particularly damaging to wash hair in the bath? My flat does not have a shower- only one of those tap attachments which does not work. How would you wash your hair. Currently I am washing it in the bath water then final rinse with ACV. But Im not sure its a very healthy option

Gulbahar
July 7th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I hate, hate, hate washing my hair under the shower. I always wash it bent over the bathtub. If you try this be careful to detangle the dry hair bent over already. Then keep it (still flipped!) wrapped in a large towel. When I take off the towel I only shake my hair slightly with my hands and start detangling either when it's only a little damp or completely dry. May be this won't work for your hairtype but it's at least worth a try.

Elysium
July 7th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I dislike washing my hair in the bath too, I usually wash it in the kitchen sink. This might not work for you seeing as your hair is so much longer than mine!

clarinette
July 7th, 2011, 02:39 AM
That has happened to me once. What I did was wash standing up in the tub with a bucket, fill the bucket, empty it on my head.....

claymoregalatea
July 7th, 2011, 02:44 AM
i wash my hair in a bucket of cold water while having a shower lol im so wierd haha
but i once was relaxing in the bathtub my hair down and everything. i was lying down and all my hair submerged for about 10-20mins. I liked it, not my hair though it was really dry and frizzy after =/

Naphthylamine
July 7th, 2011, 03:10 AM
That has happened to me once. What I did was wash standing up in the tub with a bucket, fill the bucket, empty it on my head.....

This with a little difference. I have a large plastic mug that I use for pouring the water on my head from the bucket. That way you can save more water.

Cupofmilk
July 7th, 2011, 03:39 AM
I never wash my hair in the shower as it always results in horrific tangles. I always wash mine in the tub and I get far less tangles. Try it - see if it works for you.

freckles
July 7th, 2011, 03:53 AM
I often wash my hair in the bath and I've had no problems. I don't put any bubbles or anything in the bath water, and I make sure that I wash my hair (and pin it back up) before I use any soap on my body, and then the bath stuff doesn't get into my hair. Is this the concern? Or am I missing another problem about bathwater as opposed to shower water?

Theobroma
July 7th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Don't know about bathtubs, but I've washed my hair upside-down in the bathroom sink all my life. I detangle upside-down before washing, while my hair is still dry, and flip it back the right way after a few minutes in a turbie twist. There's no significant tangling at that point.

My hair is currently a couple of inches shy of hip and it's been longer than this, so the method should work at your length as well!

Alaia
July 7th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Wash it bent over the bath and pour water over your head. I did that loads when I didn't want my body to get wet so I could do deep conditioning, etc. I'm going to start doing it again now that I once again have a bath.

Or buy a new showerhead attachment and still wash it bent over the bath, using the attachment. ;)

Carolyn
July 7th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I haven't lived in a place with a shower in my bathroom since 1978 so I've either washed in the tub, the kitchen sink or the bathroom sink. My current way is to wash sitting the the tub when I take a bath. I have one of those hand held shower thingies. It's great. If I couldn't do that I'd wash in the kitchen sink but then I'd have to keep up with the dishes. I wash my hair far more often than I do dishes. I don't think there is anything harmful in any of these washing methods. I think the key to washing hair with it flipped forward is careful detangling.

jasper
July 7th, 2011, 06:08 AM
I used to wash my hair in the bath all the time and not a regular bath, but an antique one with a faucet with abut a half inch opening. I don't think it was damaging in any way. It was just somewhat trickier to keep water out of my ears and if I did any of the more interesting LHC hair treatments, I had to be willing to literally take a bath in them.

MissAlida
July 7th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I hate, hate, hate washing my hair under the shower. I always wash it bent over the bathtub. If you try this be careful to detangle the dry hair bent over already. Then keep it (still flipped!) wrapped in a large towel. When I take off the towel I only shake my hair slightly with my hands and start detangling either when it's only a little damp or completely dry. May be this won't work for your hairtype but it's at least worth a try.
Wow, I could copy paste every word you said:D. This is the exact same way I wash my hair.I hate to wash it in the shower also. All the falling hairstrands tangled on my body...yuk.

spidermom
July 7th, 2011, 12:23 PM
My father has no shower, so when I visit him I take the pitcher into the bathroom with me and wash my hair while bending over the bathtub, using the pitcher to pour water through my hair. (and ick! it's nasty hard water, too; my hair hates it)

Saranne772
July 7th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Hmmm I just wasnt sure about washing hair in a bath of water then rinsing it in the same water- which is one of the reasons I use ACV.

I am glad I am not the only one who has to do this. I have thought about tipping my head forward to wash my hair but it makes me dizzy, I always tip my head back- have done all my life I think.

clarinette
July 7th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Spidermom: careful with the pitcher lol...once when i lived in holland, I was using a glass salad bowl to rince my hair, the thing tilted behind my head and shattered on the floor behind me. I turned around and thought...heh...where is my salad bowl?? it had shattered into such small pieces I couldn't see them in the water.... (note that dutch showers are open, as in....the whole bathroom floor is open around you, no demarcation on the ground)
So, people, careful with the glass and pyrex :D But noone is as clumsy as I am.

BittSweetCherry
July 10th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I haven't had a working shower for years; I'm now more used to washing my hair in a bath than in a shower. The good thing I've found about washing this way is that the hairs are suspended in the water, where they float around just enough to space them out, which makes finger combing easier and less damaging than doing the same under the shower.

The routine goes like this:

Run bath
Wet all over
Tilt head over bath edge using the side of the bathrub as backrest
Apply shampoo (or alternative)
Pour buckets of clean water from bath over hair to rinse - I have an old ice-cream tub for the purpose
Lie down in bath and rinse out remainder (water now a little bit dirty)
Apply conditioner
Tie hair up and wash rest of self
Rinse body off with bathwater (water now very dirty)
Gently squeeze leftover conditioner out of hair and into bathwater
Drain bathwater
Stick head under faucet and rinse the worst off; splash a little over body
Run a small fresh bath (wasteful, I know, but not as bad as leaving a shower running all this time) by which time very little residue will be left to wash out.

The bathroom floor is completely wet by the time I'm finished, so I keep an old worn-out towel on hand to mop up a bit.

I have tried washing it bent forward or backwards into a sink but the faucet makes this too hard (and has occasionally given me concussion).

Dr. Girlfriend
July 10th, 2011, 08:59 AM
My shower is broken ATM, and I've had to go the bucket route. I just make sure to finish with my hair before using soap or shaving.

neko_kawaii
July 10th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I grew up washing my hair in the kitchen sink and washed my hair not-in-the-shower the other day for the first time in years. I leaned over the bathtub (old large claw foot) and it was no where near as comfortable as I remember the kitchen sink being.

If you are concerned about the tub water being not-so-clean, you could always lean over the tub before or after your bath to wash your hair. I remember washing my hair in the tub on the occasions when I had access to a tub and didn't think anything of it, but these days I notice how murky the water is after being in it for a few minutes.

Personally, I hate to see clean unused water go down the drain, growing up I washed my hair in a medium mixing bowl in the kitchen sink using a cup to scoop and pour water. At the tub I would bring a plastic pitcher or that wasn't available, fill another large vessel and scoop from that with a cup. The advantage of using a vessel large enough for all the water you will need is that you can get the perfect temperature in the vessel and then not have to fiddle with refilling it part of the way through the wash.

I hope you find something that works well for you!