PDA

View Full Version : Hair Beauty Plus?

QueenJoey
July 6th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I was reading Seventeen magazine tonight and I saw this ad for this leave-in conditioner that claims that it "builds stronger thicker longer hair in just 5-7 days." Says it expands the individual hair strands and can make your hair grow 3 months worth of growth in just one week. It also helps prevent split ends and breakage.

It's much cheaper than Mira hair oil. Has anyone tried this and seen any great results?

ETA: I was just checking out the website where it's sold, and one thing says it's very protein rich, has a Vitamin B5 complex (Panthenol), Vitamin E and Rosemary Extract. I have both vitamin E and rosemary extract. Maybe if I got those two oils and rubbed them in my scalp, I'd get similar results for much cheaper?

Ooh, I'd also put some castor oil in, which is the first ingredient in Mira oil.

Mesmerise
July 6th, 2011, 10:31 PM
What is it called?

I am very skeptical... but curious too :o.

ETA I am a moron... I sorta read the question without reading the TITLE... obviously the title is the name of the product hehe.

jfeg116
July 6th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Sounds too good to be true...Not that it isn't worth a try :)

SpeakingEZ
July 6th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I don't know. . . . If it "expands the individual hair strands" it could be very damaging in the long run.

It actually reminds me of the thread here about hair from 100-200 years ago and the ladies in the portraits had such unbelievably thick hair, and apparently it was because their shampoo was a harsh detergent that made the hair shaft swell. (Not good.)

QueenJoey
July 7th, 2011, 01:08 AM
What is it called?

I am very skeptical... but curious too :o.

It's called "Hair Beauty Plus". I feel just how you feel.

I think it's an over-exaggeration when it says you'll get 3 months worth of growth in one week. If that was true you'd be getting about a year's worth of growth in one month! Sounds cool, but almost too cool, if that makes sense.

Madora
July 7th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Sounds like a come on to me! Your hair shaft should remain in its natural state.

People want thick, luxurious hair..no matter what snake oil remedy is being pitched.

I wouldn't trust that stuff on my hair!

Consider this: the cuticles on each strand are like fish scales. One covers another, which covers another..and so forth. But imagine those fish scales BULGING and gaps opening where none had existed before when you apply this thickening product! All of a sudden those cuticles aren't protecting the strands..but getting warped and bulged out of shape! Harmful stuff can get inside the strands, creating God knows what type of damage. Do you want to put something like THAT on your hair?
Didn't think so!!

Ligeia_13
July 7th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Sounds dodgy to me. This is one thing I won't be trying.

torrilin
July 7th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I was reading Seventeen magazine tonight and I saw this ad for this leave-in conditioner that claims that it "builds stronger thicker longer hair in just 5-7 days." Says it expands the individual hair strands and can make your hair grow 3 months worth of growth in just one week. It also helps prevent split ends and breakage..

This doesn't make sense.

My hair's thickness for the individual strands is largely genetic. I say largely because like everyone, some hairs are coarser, and others are finer. If my hair texture changed dramatically, that would mean it was damaged or that I'd suddenly developed a hormonal problem. Most hormonal problems mean I'm sick! Really sick! And a topical treatment that could give me that sort of hormonal problem would be really scary.

Stronger... my hair is fine. If it gets damaged so the strands appear coarser, it does NOT get stronger, it gets weaker. Handling it appropriately for my hair type does make it act stronger tho. Unlike a lot of finies, my hair can go up to a year between trims, and I bet I could go longer if I were more into S&D.

As far as growth... I grow an average of 0.75" per month. So they're claiming I'd grow 2.25" in a week. That's laughable. I eat well, get a decent amount of exercise, and am generally healthy. So my growth rate is around my biological max. I can't see how applying something topically could make my body well nourished enough that I'd grow extra hair.

Plus, like all humans, I've got hair all over my body. If this product worked as it claims, I'd get coarser, longer and stronger hairs from any hair follicle it touched. Legs... arms... back... um yeah, no. Since I'm a human female, that would not be desirable. That'd be a sign of testosterone overdose.

QueenJoey
July 7th, 2011, 09:27 AM
This doesn't make sense.

My hair's thickness for the individual strands is largely genetic. I say largely because like everyone, some hairs are coarser, and others are finer. If my hair texture changed dramatically, that would mean it was damaged or that I'd suddenly developed a hormonal problem. Most hormonal problems mean I'm sick! Really sick! And a topical treatment that could give me that sort of hormonal problem would be really scary.

Stronger... my hair is fine. If it gets damaged so the strands appear coarser, it does NOT get stronger, it gets weaker. Handling it appropriately for my hair type does make it act stronger tho. Unlike a lot of finies, my hair can go up to a year between trims, and I bet I could go longer if I were more into S&D.

As far as growth... I grow an average of 0.75" per month. So they're claiming I'd grow 2.25" in a week. That's laughable. I eat well, get a decent amount of exercise, and am generally healthy. So my growth rate is around my biological max. I can't see how applying something topically could make my body well nourished enough that I'd grow extra hair.

Plus, like all humans, I've got hair all over my body. If this product worked as it claims, I'd get coarser, longer and stronger hairs from any hair follicle it touched. Legs... arms... back... um yeah, no. Since I'm a human female, that would not be desirable. That'd be a sign of testosterone overdose.

Yeah that whole "3 months in on week" junk was when I figured that it was a hoax or something

celebriangel
July 7th, 2011, 01:10 PM
The marketing is clearly bullcrap, but the ingredients will benefit your scalp if applied topically. Many people have had success with castor oil, rosemary essential oil (WELL DILUTED), and panthenol and vitamin E are, I believe, two of the only vitamins to have been proven to be of benefit with topical application. (The other one is a form of vitamin A).

Also, you'd need to put it on your scalp to have *any* effect.

I get excellent growth results from Nightblooming's triple moon oil. I try to mix castor oil in, but it's just so much more difficult to remove if I do that.

FB
July 7th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I wish there was a product that would actually do that so that I can cut off some of my damage and have it grow back in no time.

Where can I get Nightblooming's triple moon oil???? Does it really help???

krissykins
July 7th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I wish there was a product that would actually do that so that I can cut off some of my damage and have it grow back in no time.

Where can I get Nightblooming's triple moon oil???? Does it really help???

You can get the Triple Moon Anointing oil at Nightblooming's etsy shop, located here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/NightBlooming It's made by our very own Nightshade.

I really love this oil. It smells really good and it has great results. I also recommend trying one of the Panacea Hair Salves.

SpeakingEZ
July 7th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Consider this: the cuticles on each strand are like fish scales. One covers another, which covers another..and so forth. But imagine those fish scales BULGING and gaps opening where none had existed before when you apply this thickening product! All of a sudden those cuticles aren't protecting the strands..but getting warped and bulged out of shape! Harmful stuff can get inside the strands, creating God knows what type of damage. Do you want to put something like THAT on your hair?

Exactly! 9 10

Toiréasa
July 7th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I just ordered some of Nightshades oil and hair salve I can't wait to try it.Thanks for the tip krissyKins.

krissykins
July 7th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I just ordered some of Nightshades oil and hair salve I can't wait to try it.Thanks for the tip krissyKins.

:joy: We have a convert! Let me know how it goes :)

QMacrocarpa
July 7th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Sounds like extra-virgin snake oil! ;)

I was reading Seventeen magazine tonight and I saw this ad for this leave-in conditioner that claims that it "builds stronger thicker longer hair in just 5-7 days." Says it expands the individual hair strands and can make your hair grow 3 months worth of growth in just one week. It also helps prevent split ends and breakage.

QueenJoey
July 7th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Sounds like extra-virgin snake oil! ;)

snake oil? I've never heard of that! What does it do? Can you buy it at health food stores?

kwaniesiam
July 7th, 2011, 04:14 PM
snake oil? I've never heard of that! What does it do? Can you buy it at health food stores?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil_%28cryptography%29

Snake oil is a joke, it's a term used to describe bogus products ;)

QueenJoey
July 7th, 2011, 04:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil_%28cryptography%29

Snake oil is a joke, it's a term used to describe bogus products ;)

Oh wow, I'm stupid. :o

feb26
July 7th, 2011, 04:45 PM
be curios to see what type of reaction/growth you get if you do mix castor oil & the 2 vitamins together..if you try it, let us know

ZeppHead
July 7th, 2011, 05:28 PM
This is not a new product on the market. I tried this when I was a teen, same thing, I saw it in a magazine ad. I tried one bottle, it was nothing I would buy again. I had damaged hair, it did nothing for it health or growth wise.

SpeakingEZ
July 7th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Lol @ the snake oil. You're not stupid, you just haven't learned how deceitful the world is, yet!

QueenJoey, I think you're soon to learn: trust nothing you read in advertisements. Puffery is legal and not considered false advertising because people aren't expected to take these claims seriously.

I think you're also soon to learn: there is no magic pill. It's hard work and patience from here on out. Depressing, yes. But you'll save a lot of money if you know that now.

torrilin
July 8th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Oh wow, I'm stupid. :o

No, you actually gave the perfect response for carrying on the joke. I wasn't sure whether you were confused or joking.

*puts a gold star on your forehead*

See? Not stupid.

QueenJoey
July 8th, 2011, 08:19 AM
No, you actually gave the perfect response for carrying on the joke. I wasn't sure whether you were confused or joking.

*puts a gold star on your forehead*

See? Not stupid.

Yay! Thank you. I always appreciate a gold star :p