PDA

View Full Version : Strange observations as dye grows out...

Kiraela
June 23rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
I've had the dubious pleasure of being able to study, in detail, what dying and bleach have done to my fairly coarse, almost black hair over several years, since I've been growing out bleach for just over 2 years now. Most of my hair is 2a-2b... but from the dyeline up, it's starting to look as if it's 2c-3a! Every single shed hair I've found, holding the hair at the mid point... where there's light color, it's sorta wavy. as soon as it changes to dark, it starts spiraling... and it's fairly coarse, too. I hadn't expected that, actually. but comparing the end to the root of a shed hair, it seems that the root area is approximately 3 times as thick!

Anybody else noticed a drastic change in your hair as you grew out dye (or dyed it for the first time)?

AutumnLeaves
June 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Yep! One drastic change? My hair is now largely silver, at least on top of my head. Second drastic change? My hair is markedly softer to the touch! Third thing I noticed? It doesn't seem as shiny as when I used to dye it. Sigh...

crystal_89
June 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
When I dyed my hair for the first time from black to brown, I could see in the shed hairs how much coarser the black regrowth was compared to the fine brown dyed bits. I was so surprised... the hairdye shrank my hair!

LongForLife
June 23rd, 2008, 11:22 PM
I dyed mine once quite a few years ago... and it made my hair much silkier, straighter, and thinner. :( The shiny silky part was ok, but I wasn't happy with the loss of waves/spirals and it became so fine, that it wouldn't hold well either.

LuXious
June 23rd, 2008, 11:56 PM
My guess is the peroxide in the dye shrunk your hair! Kinda funny. When my roots grow out, the virgin hair is thinner than the rest which is hendigoed.

tiny_teesha
June 24th, 2008, 06:32 AM
yep!
I notice firstly a slight change in colour, to ashy/golden instead of red.
Then i notice my regrowth is finer (I've used henna on my ends numerous times) Then i notice health and shine on the regrowth.
But mostly it is a difference in smoothness and feel. The ends and crunchy and stiff and rough and wriggly, the roots are more soft and perfect feeling :) Not crunchy at all!

willowcandra
June 24th, 2008, 08:31 AM
My natural hair is m wheras my dyed hair is f.

burns_erin
June 24th, 2008, 08:35 AM
My hair is very fien to begin with, so after I would stop dying my hair, it would break off at the line of demarcation. If I kept dying it, it did not do it so badly (maybe the stress of the difference) but it just kept getting thinner.

But i agree, now when I henna, the opposite is true, the new growth is finer than the already hennaed part.

chrissy-b
June 24th, 2008, 10:48 AM
My natural hair is much healthier, but much finer.