PDA

View Full Version : Has AO Honeysuckle Rose changed?

adiapalic
July 6th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I don't want to send anyone into any kind of a meltdown, but I'm a little worried about my all-time favorite conditioner, and I'm hoping it's just a technicality. :confused:

Regularly order mine from the Vitamin Shoppe through Amazon, and it has always been perfectly fine. Except for this time. I got my bottle in yesterday. I was in the shower, and as I squeezed the bottle, out came this thick chunky somewhat beige, off-colored stuff that resembled an almost dried up lotion. It was empty and had no life to it like my AOHR is supposed to have! :wail:

What is this stuff? I smelled it. Smells like bland oil with a teeny hint of rose, no honeysuckle. I played with it between my fingers. As it heated, it got an almost jiggly gel-like consistency, and my finger nearly left a print in it because it sort of retained form, felt kind of 'coney, and didn't coat my skin like it's supposed to.

It really reminded me a lot of Yes To Carrots conditioner, and everything I didn't like about it.

Do I want to put this in my hair? Well, my hair has already been washed with shampoo, and I have no other options because I'm completely out. :( I was so looking forward to my new bottle of conditioner. So I used this stuff. It took a ton to get any amount of slip even close to what I got before, and no scent. It did make my hair soft and limp the way conditioner should, but nothing to the degree of normal AOHR.

I'll share later what my hair will look like when it dries—whether it's too oily or too dry. Because I *really* had to slather the stuff on to get anything from it. As of now, my hair smells like absolutely nothing.

Here's what it should have been like. It should have been a clear, ivory white color with a shimmery, mother-of-pearl opaqueness to it that melted onto my fingers like thick, liquid silk. It should have smelled exactly like roses and honeysuckles, and my hair should smell like that too.

AO Honeysuckle Rose has been my favorite for the last few years, and I've recommended it every chance I get. I absolutely love this conditioner.

So, my question is... has anyone else experienced this with a bottle of AO Honeysuckle Rose recently? In the past? Can this potentially just be a dud... like a formulation screw-up or an old-timey bottle? :confused:

I'm really hoping for the latter.

Mountaingrrl
July 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I have a new bottle of it and it's good. It sounds to me like you just got a dud.

adiapalic
July 7th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I'm hoping that's it. I'm gonna go get another bottle at a store around here.

ratgirldjh
July 17th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Sounds like it got dried up somehow.

Slinks
July 17th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I would write to the company .. you will get it replace plus samples ?? :-)

islandboo
July 17th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Interesting - I bought my first bottle a few weeks ago and was struck by how incredibly thick it was, particularly given the instructions to mix before use: it has a consistency like damp concrete and was almost impossible to shake. And the color is definitely more like old ivory than pearl. I wonder if my bottle is a bad one too? I had nothing to compare it to, so I just assumed it was supposed to be like that.

islandboo
July 18th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Here is what mine looks like - if you squeeze the bottle, it doesn't overflow the top but sort of rises up as a soft plug, and it is definitely opaque:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa245/auntbootoo/photo.jpg

Suggestions?

Alaia
July 18th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I think it sounds like a bad batch.

Don't panic! Maybe email AO or something.

islandboo
July 18th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I did find this in the FAQ on their customer service site:

Q: Why are different bottles of the same product sometimes different in color, scent or texture?

A: Natural ingredients are not standardized and uniformly mass-produced the way synthetic ones can be. Herbs and other ingredients harvested from different farms at different times will look or feel different when used in a product. Heat or cold conditions during shipping can cause products to become thicker or thinner, and temperature can also affect color or scent. Aubrey Organics formulates in small batches to ensure product purity and stability, and we offer a 100% money-back guarantee that our products will perform to your satisfaction.