PDA

View Full Version : My hair won't curl

Cheery
June 23rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
I have super straight waist length hair that is extremely fine and smooth. I'm going to an ultra-formal ballroom dance this Friday and I wanted to curl my hair from the ends to about my chin. I tried it this afternoon and only the very ends will curl, about 2-3 inches or so. I'm pretty sure it's because as the hair wraps around the curling iron it overlaps, so the hair on the outside doesn't get hot enough. I tried holding it on the curling iron for a long time, probably close to 2 minutes and it still didn't work, even though my hair is baby fine. Does anybody have any suggestions for a way to curl my hair that won't take all day? I've tried curlers you wear overnight and they don't work either. I've heard that if you get your hair wet, put in gel or mousse and "scrunch" it, it'll be all wavy. Does that really work?

DotDotDot
June 23rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Many people have had success with both scrunching and "plopping," where you lay a towel down on the toilet seat, put your head down on it, and wrap the towel around your head, making ropes with the side bits of the towel and tying those together. You can also try bobby pin curling (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=77073), bun waves (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=64753), or braiding hair while it's wet and leaving it to dry for braid waves.

HTH! :flowers:

Elainehali
June 23rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
I have similar hair and I have had GREAT sucess with sock curls.

manderly
June 23rd, 2008, 05:27 PM
My twisted sock curling link seems to be broken.....but I wanted to say: STEP AWAY FROM THE CURLING IRON. You are just frying your hair, and damaged hair is the least cooperative hair in any style.

flapjack
June 23rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
I have similar hair and I have had GREAT sucess with sock curls.

Seconding this. Sock curls easily make my hair into a giant eruption of spiral curls with no product or heat. It's really easy, you can do it right out of the shower and sleep on it comfortably if you wish, etc.

avraea
June 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Forgive the newbie here, but what's a sock curl? I'm always looking for new ways to curl hair without product or heat.

Jeni
June 23rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
My hair doesnt hold a curl either. If you look at my sig, my hair was put up into a bun, damp, and left that way for something like 12 hours, it dried in the bun. I had just taken it down for the picture...Even chemical perms don't last long.

I have not tried sock curls, I'd be interested in how to do them, and if they work for you.

If you cant get your hair to curl what about a fancy up-do? Or do you have your hair set on wearing it down?

good luck

Fencai
June 23rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
im curious too... what's a sock curl!?
inquiring minds need to know! ;)

spidermom
June 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'm pretty sure it's because as the hair wraps around the curling iron it overlaps, so the hair on the outside doesn't get hot enough. I tried holding it on the curling iron for a long time, probably close to 2 minutes and it still didn't work, even though my hair is baby fine.

Baby fine hair cooked in a curling iron for 2 minutes? Ouch-ouch! Your poor hair! I hear a rather large trim coming on.

Rag curls are the best for long lasting hold. Comb gel through damp ends. Lay a strip of cloth along a chopstick or other long stick. Wrap hair around and around stick and cloth. Tie the strip of cloth closed with a bow. Allow to dry fully. Carefully unwind hair. DO NOT COMB OR BRUSH! Leave in a spiral.

Kittee
June 23rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
You can have my curls. May I have your straightness? =)

Riot Crrl
June 23rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
The grass is just always greener, lol.

Flying Betty
June 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Hot rollers, and then hairspray the hell out of the curls as you're taking them down, and don't let them move until the hairspray dries. This stayed through a dance recital where we were required to have a curly ponytail. Of course, it'll also destroy your hair.

I'd recommend trying rag curls or something, along with the hairspray the hell out of it suggestion. I've never actually tried that one, but I do know that nothing will make my hair stay curly without extra super hold hair spray. Nasty stuff.

MotherConfessor
June 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
sooo, about those sock curls.... what the heck are they? Inquiring minds want to know :confused::confused:

manderly
June 23rd, 2008, 11:27 PM
Anais Satin's page seems to be down so I can't post the link to her photo directions, but I found her written directions online:

SOCK CURLING INSTRUCTIONS, AT REQUEST OF GOLDILOCKS : ) Visual sock curling instructions can also be found in the Lair by clicking here:

(1) Find a clean-smelling, freshly laundered pair of socks. Preferably tube socks because they are totally tubular. Make sure they are long enough to tie a knot around two fingers.

(2) Start with slightly damp hair. It cannot be too damp. The hair often stays pretty damp if you bind it into socks and let it sit. You'd wake up with wet curls, which loosen, and adslkfjhaeopibglkj... The best thing to do is sock curl after a hairwash, when the hair has JUST dried, because then you'll have a little more flexibility and ease of rolling. You could also try misting your hair before curling, but I don't know how well that works.

(3) Divide your hair into two hemispheres, a Western and an Eastern. It will help if you do a center part. Comb the hair carefully.

(4) Fold the sock in half, lengthwise (the hot dog way)

(5) Tuck the ends of one hemisphere, let's say the right side, into the center of the "hot dog" folded sock.

(6) Start rolling the hair around the sock, like toilet paper. Yeah, blunt. I know. Tie the two ends of the sock together with a regular overhand knot. Repeat with the left hemisphere hair. Leave the socks on overnight. Undo the socks the next morning, taking care NOT to brush or comb the curls. Fingercomb only until your curls are loose enough to be called "wavy". The curls may not last long, or may last VERY long, depending on your hair type.