PDA

View Full Version : horse riding.

Ava666
July 6th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Ok, those of you that ride horses, what do you do with your hair? Other than putting it in a bun? (I'm still working on getting the bun to stay) any thing else I could try? I usually just put it up in a single braid, but that gets in my way. Also i can't quite figure out how to get my snood to stay in position. unless I have a french braid (which I fail to do on my own) it just kind of falls down. tia for any help.

Toof
July 6th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I would braid mine and then fold it up and stuff it into my Buff (I'd use the "pirate" style, so it was like a cap with a pocket hanging down for the braid--I'd wrap a hair tie around the bundle a couple times to secure it). The cap part kept the helmet from rubbing the crown hairs and from catching, and the bundled-up braid kept everything else from rubbing on my shirt or getting dusty or flying around or getting sat on (which actually started to become a real issue now that my hair's approaching my knees!).

Only problem I had was that when I got a new helmet with a size adjuster in the back, it sat a little low and made space a problem. I just smooshed the braid bundle down as much as possible and it was never a big deal. I usually forgot about it after getting on.

Madora
July 6th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I don't ride (only in my dreams!) but would suggest very loosely braided Heidi Braids.

Or the same idea, but instead of 3 strand braids, center part your hair from forehead to nape. Take the hair on the left side and divide it in two sections. Wrap the right section over the left section. Then take the left section and wrap it over the right section. Continue this way to the ends..entwining each section loosely. Secure w/ hair friendly elastic. Repeat with the other hair. The finished section has a "rope" effect to it and looks very soft when wound across the head.

Pin with hairpins (not bobbypins!)

Pin one rope around the top of your head. Repeat with the other side. Be sure to twine the two sections together LOOSELY. The looser it is, the easier it will be to wear under your riding helmet!

GeoJ
July 6th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I made a silk bag that ties to the back of my helmet to hold my braid in while I ride.

Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3067&pictureid=38637) is what it looks like.

It works well with a braid, but loose hair gets tangled even inside the bag.

ZeppHead
July 6th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Buns do not stay up for me either so I usually do a single braid then wrap it in a bun and use bobby pins to keep it in place.

sparkle'n'bling
July 7th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Do you wear a helmet? If not, any stable bun pinned very securely should be ok. A rose bun, or a two-strand cinnamon, starting pinning from the first coil and keep pinning each coil as you go, stay up well for me.
If you do wear a helmet, you might get some ideas from this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72318) thread. Currently I do a braided ponytail, then fold that in thirds and tie at the top with elastic. Keeps my braid from being sat on, but I still end up with a lot of braid shred as it swings around so much. I really need to get a heavy-duty hairnet or snood and make a bun-net with clip so that I can clip the net to the base of my ponytail and put my braid into the net.

Ava666
July 8th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Well I think I might try the braid in bag idea, or the buff, probably wouldn't work if/when I start showing, whenever that might be... but I'll worry about that when it comes to it. :) Maybe when I get a new helmet the size adjuster might be in a more convenient (hair-wise) place. Probably not though.

BeatlesFanGirl
July 8th, 2011, 01:31 AM
I ride and I wear it or in a low ponytail, or, a low braid. The 2nd one is even better because hair tangles a lot during horseriding! High pony or buns would not work for me. You can try french braid as well. (I dont do that B/C I dont know how to.:)) So, braid is the best I think.