PDA

View Full Version : dry hair maybe a product of summer?

mommy2one05
June 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
My hair has been extremely dry for the past several days and more frizzier than normal. I have not changed any thing hair wise so I am thinking that maybe this is due to being outside in the sun more and from the hot weather. So what should I do and how often to help improve it? Today after I came in from mowing I sprayed it with a water and vo5 conditioner mix and then slathered a mix of coconut oil and dove conditioner on it and then put it up in a bun. I really need advice. And early last week my hair was feeling so good that I was able to put off washing till day four when normally I wash every other day....ahh

Fee
June 23rd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you, I just wanted to say I have the same problem and it is probably because of summer time, my routine hasn't changed, but my hair has. It's dry and terrible, I try to keep it up the whole time, it's too hot to keep it down anyways.

wintersun99
June 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM

Curlsgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 11:27 PM
coconut oil, jojoba oil, or oil of your choice on damp hair, then bun it while you are in the sun. I'd leave out the conditioner with 'cones

Actually I have added a conditioner with cones this summer and it has helped me tremendously. But everyone is different of course! Here's a list of things I have found that can lead to my hair being "dry". Hope it helps:

Not enough leave-in conditioner
Not detangling at least once every other day
Not misting with conditioner especially the ends EVERY day and then usually applying a bit of coconut oil while damp
Buildup
Too much shampoo (now CWCing with diluted shampoo only once a week, can't BELIEVE how much this has helped!)
Wearing my hair down too much or of course in the wind or pool/ocean without a cap or something
Too much benign neglect
Glycerin or honey

Just thought something might strike a chord. I was having that problem for a while. Anyone think of anything else?

Oh just thought of another thing, Deep moisture treatments are a huge help to me too! I did a protein DT and then a Moisture DT both with heat for about an hour each on Saturday and WOW! You may not need the protein though. You could perhaps do a good clarifying and then a DT and see how that works. I am always doing mini-deep-treatments on my tassle of my braid too anywhere from 1 to 4 or more inches. Sometimes I leave it in for a while or put it up. I don't always even rinse it out, in fact usually not.

Lamb
June 24th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Ditto on the conditioner with cones. I condition every day now with a conditioner that has amodimethicone in it, and it works very well. Also misting and going easy on the shampoo, as Curlsgirl said.

Summer, as all seasons of extreme weather, is hard on my hair. I keep it covered as much as I can, but that won't solve everything. Besides, my hair has recently decided to thicken up a bit - not that I mind ;) - and more hair means that an ordinary amount of conditioner "fades away like morning dew."

camara
June 24th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Yes, I have dry hair in summer. I found COing helps, also keeping it in a braid all the time.
Also, frequent oiling helps for the ends, at least on my hair.

HTH

mommy2one05
June 24th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Actually I have added a conditioner with cones this summer and it has helped me tremendously. But everyone is different of course! Here's a list of things I have found that can lead to my hair being "dry". Hope it helps:

Not enough leave-in conditioner
Not detangling at least once every other day
Not misting with conditioner especially the ends EVERY day and then usually applying a bit of coconut oil while damp
Buildup
Too much shampoo (now CWCing with diluted shampoo only once a week, can't BELIEVE how much this has helped!)
Wearing my hair down too much or of course in the wind or pool/ocean without a cap or something
Too much benign neglect
Glycerin or honey

Just thought something might strike a chord. I was having that problem for a while. Anyone think of anything else?

Oh just thought of another thing, Deep moisture treatments are a huge help to me too! I did a protein DT and then a Moisture DT both with heat for about an hour each on Saturday and WOW! You may not need the protein though. You could perhaps do a good clarifying and then a DT and see how that works. I am always doing mini-deep-treatments on my tassle of my braid too anywhere from 1 to 4 or more inches. Sometimes I leave it in for a while or put it up. I don't always even rinse it out, in fact usually not.

Well you gave me alot of info here. Thanks!
I have been wearing hair down alot and using honey more than usual.
Now by leave in conditioner....is that a homemade mist , commercial leave in, or what exactly?
How would I know if I need a protein treatment? I have never done one. I have used a Pantene moisturizing d.t. So you leave a d.t. in the ends of your hair and sometimes don't rinse it out is that right?

Thanks everybody for all the help.