PDA

View Full Version : CO washing... blech

Persephone
July 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I have oily hair (trying to decrease sebum production by stretching times between shampoos), and last night, I needed a shower, but I didn't need to shampoo. So I thought I'd "freshen" with a CO, but this morning, it was like I'd gone 5 days without a shampoo! Blech!

Is there a "detox" phase when you switch to CO? Or is it just not right for me?

krissykins
July 6th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Some people go through a transition phase with CO. I wonder if there's any cones or mineral oil that could be building up on your hair (it could be something else as well). And it might help to clarify before giving CO washing another shot :)

Good luck, and congrats on your 1000th post!

BroadwayBeauty
July 6th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Some people go through a transition phase with CO. I wonder if there's any cones or mineral oil that could be building up on your hair (it could be something else as well). And it might help to clarify before giving CO washing another shot :)

I totally agree. Sometimes there's a transition, and sometimes there isn't. It could also be whatever you used for the CO Wash. What I've found is that it takes a few tries before you really figure out what your hair wants and needs. Clarify and then try again, because if it works for you then it's worth it!

LunaMoon
July 6th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I have oily hair (trying to decrease sebum production by stretching times between shampoos), and last night, I needed a shower, but I didn't need to shampoo. So I thought I'd "freshen" with a CO, but this morning, it was like I'd gone 5 days without a shampoo! Blech!

Is there a "detox" phase when you switch to CO? Or is it just not right for me?

I think CO it is just like shampoo. Some are good for our hair other no. I am COing and trying different COs. Some are great, some are very bad. I think if you really want to give CO a shot, try some other brand as well before giving up. If your hair is really oily, I think you can try some CO with no Cones and protein. I am giving you this idea because a no coney + protein CO made my hair dry. Maybe can be good for oily hair...
Also, some people have this "detox" fase... It is some adaptation period. I didn't have oily hair but I am not stretching "washes". I CO every other day, because it is summer. But I did have some major sheeding the first 2 weeks and it is gone now. I just spent more time rinsing it out very well, but not much more. I like to take quick showers and don't want to be in for 20 minutes or more just because of my hair.
I think we have to try to find a routine that is easy and works. For me CO is easier because I don't wait 20+ minutes with CO in my hair, I just "wash" and go. It is fast, easy and works for me.

spidermom
July 6th, 2011, 11:31 AM
The conditioner makes a difference. You want a simple, basic formula.

The technique makes a difference. I found that CO worked best for me if I started with dry hair.

Ultimately, I abandoned CO. If I do it once, the results are nice. If I do it two or more times in a row, my hair gets limp and dull. CWC with diluted shampoo gives consistent godd results so I've stayed with that technique.

Persephone
July 6th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I used AO Swimming Conditioner. It's a pretty simple formula. I haven't used cones or mineral oils in years. I have been oiling my length more lately though, either with jojoba or EVOO.

I don't think I"ll bother with CO, since what I'm doing is working well. :)

Carolyn
July 6th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I used AO Swimming Conditioner. It's a pretty simple formula. I haven't used cones or mineral oils in years. I have been oiling my length more lately though, either with jojoba or EVOO.

I don't think I"ll bother with CO, since what I'm doing is working well. :)In my opinion it was your choice of conditioner that caused the problem. Suave or VO5 are good conditioners for CO washing. WR has changed it's formula and added cones. The conditioners I mentioned are often used for removing heavy oilings. I'd suggest giving CO a try with something else and leaving the AOSC for a time when you are using an AO shampoo.

krissykins
July 6th, 2011, 12:42 PM
To reiterate what others have said, the conditioner you use makes a big difference. I would recommend not using AO conditioners for CO. I have never been a big fan of it for CO (though it's okay to use with CWC on occasion).

But if you're happy with your routine, then stick with that :flower: you know what works best for you! :)

Madora
July 6th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Frankly, I never could understand the CO situation.

Your hair is meant to be clean. You cleanse it with a shampoo. THEN you condition it. Two separate actions -- 2 separate products.

I don't know how you shampoo your hair or what shampoo you use. However, perhaps making your hair healthier might depend on shampooing twice THEN conditioning your hair.

I use a tablespoon of the George Michael Pink Shampoo (diluted with 8 oz warm water), massage it in well, then rinse, and rinse and rinse. (This removes the surface dirt)

I repeat again, massage in well, then rinse thoroughly, with a cold water rinse at the end.

Then I put less than a teaspoon of Tresemme Naturals Conditioner with Aloe/Avocado (no sillicones!) into a plastic bottle with 8 oz of warm water, stir it thoroughly, then pour it over all my hair. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then detangle my hair with a wide tooth comb then rinse and rinse and rinse, and do a final rinse of cold water.

I only shampoo and condition once a month..BUT I brush my hair every day with a pure bbb and stay indoors a good deal of the time. You should always make sure your brush (if you use one) is kept squeaky clean at all times. A brush is much more effective if all the stuck hairs have been removed and the bristles are clean! Good luck!

Liss
July 6th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I sense a little debate stirring up, so let's see.... all conditioners contain some mild cleansing agents, which is why CO successfully cleans some people's hair. There's plenty of long threads discussing it.

For the OP... CO might just not work for you, maybe it wasn't rised out well, or maybe it had cones when you didn't need them. If you're keen to keep experimenting, then please do. If you tried it and don't care to try again, at least you know why.

Good luck in finding your ideal cleansing method.

NouvelleNymphe2
July 6th, 2011, 06:58 PM
If I do it once, the results are nice. If I do it two or more times in a row, my hair gets limp and dull.

This. But perhaps I just haven't found the right C, like others have suggested. I really do like my organic SLS free shampoo :) (Avalon Organics Lavender).

Athena's Owl
July 6th, 2011, 07:43 PM
could be technique. you can't just swipe your hands over your head a couple times and your'e done, you have to take time with it. it isn't "fast."

krissykins
July 6th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I sense a little debate stirring up, so let's see....

IT'S CO OR DIE! :evil:

(just kidding, of course.)

WittyWordsmith
July 6th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Yep, I'll chime in that the conditioner and the method are key. It's rare to get it on the first try from what I've read.

When done correctly, it rocks. It's not a one size fits all solution, so it may not be for you. I would suggest making sure you've given it a fair shot before totally writing it off, though.

Maybe sometime when you've got an appropriate conditioner and are in a daring mood! :D

Vegasrenie
July 6th, 2011, 10:03 PM
There's an issue with my account so I can't post pics or anything, but I have to jump in here. At the age of 59, I have thick, healthy hair that's the envy of women 20 years my junior. I do not shampoo. My hair is about a 3b/c and is just below chin length when air dried, but sits on my collarbone when heat-styled.

I stopped using shampoo two years ago. The only time shampoo has touched my hair since early 2009 has been when I've gone in for trims. (Hairdressers **love** shampoo).

I've found that heavy conditioners with lots of protein make for a terrible CO-washing experience. Lighter, more astringent conditioners do a great job of cleaning without stripping. When I'm flush, I will purchase a large bottle of WEN. Love it. When I'm not flush (which, unfortunately, is most of the time), I will purchase a gallon jug of CureCare from Sally's. A very light, astringent conditioner which does a great job of cleaning my hair. After showering, a leave-conditioner with a few drops of jojoba oil and presto! Glossy curls and healthy hair.

If I knew then what I know now (lol), I never would have used chemical relaxers or artificial coloring on my hair. The henna and CO washing has left my hair healthier than it's been in my entire life. Too bad I had to learn it now!!

Other than when I get my once/twice yearly trim, I will never use shampoo on my hair again. Period.

Vegasrenie
July 6th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I'll chime in here about technique. You have to take the time - rinse thoroughly before applying the conditioner. Make sure it covers every strand of hair - don't scrub as you would with shampoo. Use a wide-toothed comb if you have substantial amounts of hair. Rinse COMPLETELY and add a little back for slip. Shampooing tends to be quick (because it strips so quickly), but to get your hair really clean with CO-washing, you have to be patient.

Marz Hase
July 6th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Here are a couple of things that had to be done before I had my 'aha!' moment with CO. So far, I've had successes with Tame, Suave Naturals Orange and V05 Clarifying Kiwi Lime.

- Diluting and applying to dry hair. The dilution made it spread easier and putting it on dry hair left no room for doubt when it came to all of my hair being COMPLETELY saturated in conditioner.

- Following up with an ACV rinse

Now... out at my grandfather's farm, I didn't have to use ACV. Here at home(Austin), if I don't use ACV, my hair just feels weird and flips out. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the water. Keep trying different things and see how they work!

I do still plan on using 'poo when I need to clarify.

Chiara
July 7th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Yes, applying to dry hair and using A LOT can make a big difference, as well as the type of conditioner that you use.

For those wondering how a conditioner could cleanse, most conditioners contain emulsifiers which also act as gentle surfactants. Surfactants help water to remove dirt. Stronger surfactants are, of course, detergents and soap.

Katze
July 7th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I see that you have fine hair. Could it be that your hair just needs to get clean? Cleaner than CO can make it, I mean.

If I do it once, the results are nice. If I do it two or more times in a row, my hair gets limp and dull. .

This. CO makes my scalp get waxy buildup, even if I use expensive light conditioners for it. I do occasionally CO, but not very often.

My hair and scalp seem to need regular sulfate use. I balance this out by doing CWC washes and using lots of leave-in. Only ever washing with conditioner did not work for me at all, nor did 'poo free.'

Carolyn
July 7th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I see that you have fine hair. Could it be that your hair just needs to get clean? Cleaner than CO can make it, I mean.

This. CO makes my scalp get waxy buildup, even if I use expensive light conditioners for it. I do occasionally CO, but not very often.

My hair and scalp seem to need regular sulfate use. I balance this out by doing CWC washes and using lots of leave-in. Only ever washing with conditioner did not work for me at all, nor did 'poo free.'
CO washing can be a great part of your hair care. It doesn't have to be "only ever". It's something that can be done on an as needed basis. I find that changing things around all the time gives me the results. I change my washing methods and change my products.

SoulOfTheSea
July 24th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I don't like COing myself either... I love shampoo and the way it suds and refreshes my scalp ^_^ I use Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing shampoo... so it has less sulfates, so maybe that's why my hair isn't dried out... also the fact I wash my hair every 4 days.

Yame
July 24th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I have oily hair too, and I find that just extending washes really helps decrease the oiliness. I'm down to 1 wash per week now, and I'm happy with the way my hair has responded to that, but I might try to extend even further in the future.

I use a sulfate-free and silicone-free shampoo, but a coney conditioner. My washing method when I first started extending washes was to wash the scalp only, rinse, then wash again, rinse, then condition just the length. That seemed to work just fine as long as I extended washes, but I am now doing CWC (but for the second condition I still condition just the length), and that works fine too. I haven't been able to tell if one is better than the other for my hair.

I have never been able to apply conditioner to my roots successfully. I have never tried CO, but in the past I have tried to condition my hair from the roots to the ends after a wash, and that always seemed to make my hair oily. It could be the conditioner, but that has turned me off from trying CO.

Since CWC works just fine for me with extended washes, I don't see a point of trying CO. At least not right now. I get the feeling that CO is for people who have dry hair, but I could be wrong, so I'd love to hear from oily-haired people who CO successfully. I'm so new here and still have a lot to learn.

Joribear
July 24th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I get the feeling that CO is for people who have dry hair, but I could be wrong, so I'd love to hear from oily-haired people who CO successfully. I'm so new here and still have a lot to learn.

*raises hand* Here's one that has (had) oily hair and CO works wonderfully for my oil slick of a head! I haven't let shampoo touch my head in over two months and my hair has never been happier! I have *always* suffered with oily hair. I could take a shower in the morning and by the time I cam home in the evening, my hair looked like I hadn't washed it in a month.

Switching to CO has changed it completely. I used to have to wash every.single.day and all to just have my hair look like an oil slick less than 12 hours later - sometimes as quickly as two hours after a wash! Now I can go days between washes and my hair doesn't look oily unless I'm doing a heavy oiling! :)

Rustella
July 24th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I get the feeling that CO is for people who have dry hair, but I could be wrong, so I'd love to hear from oily-haired people who CO successfully. I'm so new here and still have a lot to learn.

I CO most of the time now, and I have for the past year or more. I also have very oily hair, or at least I did until I started using this method. My hairdresser had been getting on to me about not washing every single day, but my hair was so oily I had to. So I went looking for a solution, and read that CO had cut down on oilyness. (I do not have dry hair, just an oily scalp.) I tried it and it worked right away! I've gone from washing my hair every single day due to lots of oil, to COing every few days. I do still use shampoo once every week or two because I still use cones, but I use less of it when I do. I am very happy with the results, and with not having to wash my hair every day anymore.

:cheese: