PDA

View Full Version : What treatment puts most moisture back in the hair oil or SMT?

bunzfan
July 6th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I had a trim yesterday which i was loathe to do but the ends were wispy, dry and not in the best condition the stylist took off about an inch and a half and it looks and feels great.

So hopefully i don't need so much off next time what treatment puts the most moisture back in hair an over night oiling with some like EVOO or a S.M.T my hair is wavy quite coarse at the roots and dry, i'm currently shampooing once a week with a sls free shampoo.

I thought this could be a good time to try moisture treatments while i wait for my hair to get back to mid back so what does your hair favour when you trying to get moisture back in to it?

Zesty
July 6th, 2011, 07:49 AM
A mix of both works best for me -- SMT to put moisture back in, followed by oil to seal it in. That makes my hair soft, and shiny and manageable. Generally speaking, I think, oil doesn't put moisture in, it just keeps it in (and sometimes seals it out, which is why some people get crunchy ends from too much oil). I'll be watching this thread to see if some oil experts post, though. :)

Anje
July 6th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I think it depends on the person and the oil. For me, an SMT or something similar and water-based really makes my hair soft and moisturized, but a little oil is good at helping to keep it that way. Oil alone without ever conditioning tends to result in dry hair for me, eventually.

bunzfan
July 6th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Thank you ladies, i decided to go back to my weekly over night oiling s followed by smt for a month and see how that goes as well as back to damp updo's.

MissAlida
July 6th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I am not sure if this is a moisture treatment, but I do sometimes use it: put an egg yolk in a bowl, add 1 tbs of honey and 1 tbs of EVOO( the measures can be increased if you have very long or thick hair). Apply to damp hair (I sometimes wash my scalp with shampoo before, but just in case it is very nasty), put on a shower cap and a towel turban. Leave it on for as long as you want it (I usually leave it for 1-1,5 hours), then take it out, rinse with water, apply conditioner to the lenght, cover again with showercap and towel, leave it for 30 min. Rinse it off (I give it a cold water rinse as finishing touch) and let it air dry.:)It should be very soft and shiny.:D

FluffSpider
July 6th, 2011, 01:52 PM
@MissAlida:That's more of a protein treatment. Egg yolk=protein
I find SMTs to be lighter than hot oil treatments(EVOO).
SMTs soften my hair, while the hot oil treatments usually leave it better hydrated

baobhan sith
July 6th, 2011, 03:49 PM
In my experience, oiling if anything dried my hair out more if it was already dry, SMTs worked well for me, but another easier way I found (because I'm lazy!) was to fill my hair with a light conditioner while still dry, leave it for as long as I could which was only occasionally more than an hour, and wash out with some shampoo mixed with glycerin (honey would also work) and condition as usual. Result was lovely soft moisturised hair. Hmm, I should really do this again!

MissAlida
July 7th, 2011, 02:14 AM
@MissAlida:That's more of a protein treatment. Egg yolk=protein
I find SMTs to be lighter than hot oil treatments(EVOO).
SMTs soften my hair, while the hot oil treatments usually leave it better hydrated
I must try the SMT someday soon. I'm just waiting for my aloe vera plant to grow a little.:) I feel sorry for cutting it's leaf when it is still so young.Just got it from my grandparents last week:D.

pixiedust
July 7th, 2011, 02:48 AM
my hair is fine and dense and CHRONICALLY DRY. This routine always leaves my hair very soft and hydrated when it's at its driest, and is much simpler than it sounds;

1. Clarify with SLS poo (to rid my hair of things that may be trapping moisture out)
2. SMT, anywhere from 3hrs-overnight (I like to use a protein free condish with aloe high up on ingredients such as Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, so that I can leave the aloe out of the equation since my hair is sensitive to humectants)
3. CWC with sulfate free poo (again, my hair is finicky, thus requires this step but yours may not)
4. herbal tea rinse (I like to use hibiscus, nettle and catnip but any should be fine)
5. seal ends of hair with coconut oil (about an 1/8 teaspoon full)

feel free to play around with this procedure as it is a bit much, and as I said, my hair is VERY FINE and chronically dry, so our hair type are quite different. Good luck (:

SoulOfTheSea
August 14th, 2011, 07:00 PM
In my experience, oiling if anything dried my hair out more if it was already dry, SMTs worked well for me, but another easier way I found (because I'm lazy!) was to fill my hair with a light conditioner while still dry, leave it for as long as I could which was only occasionally more than an hour, and wash out with some shampoo mixed with glycerin (honey would also work) and condition as usual. Result was lovely soft moisturised hair. Hmm, I should really do this again!

Hmmm, I might try this! :D I was lazy with my first SMT as well, I only wait 30 minutes before I rinsed it out. :p