PDA

View Full Version : How to correctly use these oils??

kitcatsmeow
July 5th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Ok so I'm still a little confused on which oils do what and when/how to use them. :o

Coconut oil penetrates I know so should I use that when my hair is still wet? I think when I read the thread about oiling it said dry hair.

I like jojoba oil because it makes my hair feel soft and look shiny but if I'm understanding it's not penetrating, it just coats the hair. SO...If I use the coconut when it's wet then a light jojoba oiling when dry, would that be the most beneficial?

And one more thing. I read that jojoba seals moisture in and out. Would doing a deep oiling after using jojoba and prior to washing be pointless or will the coconut still penetrate?

Yikes so much to sort through!

McFearless
July 5th, 2011, 06:30 PM
There are no rules!

If jojoba oil makes your hair look soft and shiny keep using it the way you are. No, it won't be pointless to use coconut oil on top of it as a deep treatment. The jojoba might soak into your hair, and even if it doesn't, the oil will rub off on your pillow, couch, etc. Coconut oil can penetrate the hair shaft but not all of it will. You will still have some oil coating the strand. You can use it on wet hair to seal in moisture and/or because it soaks in best that way for some people. Others can only use it on dry hair to get presentable hair. It just depends. You can also use it as a deep treatment before a wash. Many people do this because the oil can act as a buffer between shampoo, not allowing it to dry out your strands. Keep experimenting and make notes of how your hair responds to each method.

Alvrodul
July 5th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Sure there are rules - but the "rules" for my hair might well be the worst thing you could do for your hair! :p
You can only try things out and see how they work out. You might get some pointers from what those with similar hair to yours tell about their results, though.