PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder-injury-friendly updos?

QMacrocarpa
July 5th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Yesterday my husband and I crashed on our tandem bike, and I think my shoulder is going to be sore for a few days. Getting my dominant hand up to my head is painful. My mind is a blank as to updos that could mostly be done with one hand. Braiding is uncomfortable. Getting my husband to braid it for me could probably be done, though it's not something he's tried before. But he's feeling pretty bad, so I'm trying not to harp on my ouchy shoulder. Leaving my hair loose would be too hot and would make it tangle-y, which would also be not-so-great to deal with in the present circumstances.

Thanks for any ideas! :flower:

Anje
July 5th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I think side braids and/or training your husband to braid would probably be the easiest thing at the moment.

I'm pretty sure we have at least one member who does some pretty impressive buns despite having use of only one arm, but (a) I don't remember who it is and (b) she has had quite a lot of practice. Doing anything one-handed adds a degree of difficulty.

Feel better soon! Rest it, and make sure you can move it in all directions, even if it hurts. If you can't, it's probably time for a trip to the doctor to make sure you haven't torn up your rotator cuff or anything like that.

pixi_stix
July 5th, 2011, 11:38 AM
When my shoulder is dislocated I lean my elbows on my knees and just use my arms to tie my hair back. Though I will usually only put it in a pony tail or English braid

1953Diygal
July 5th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I had a torn rotator cuff on my dominant side last fall. I couldn't raise my right arm at all. My boyfriend had to help me wash my hair and put it in braids. Fortunately, he's really good with hair. See if you can enlist your husband in helping you out until it heals.

QMacrocarpa
July 5th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Ooh, good ideas! I hadn't thought of a side braid, but yes, I think that would be more do-able than my regular nape braid. And it hadn't crossed my mind to do my hair with my elbows propped, I think that will help for some things. And maybe this is a good time for my husband to get handier with my hair... :D

I can move my arm pretty widely if I take it slow, so I think my shoulder isn't too badly injured, just a bit of a nuisance.

KittyLost
July 5th, 2011, 02:07 PM
The only thing I could think of too was a side braid, or pigtails/braided pigtails? Maybe a low bun at one of your sides? That can be quite fashionable especially if you stick an accessory in it?

spidermom
July 5th, 2011, 02:14 PM
braid coming over one shoulder, or maybe a segmented ponytail instead (done with consecutive multiple hair-ties going down the ponytail)

torrilin
July 5th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I'd get your husband to help you comb your hair out and part it for twin braids. They're comfortable and for me they last well for a couple days. You might even have enough length to pin them up in Heidi braids, which might buy you an extra day or two.

That should buy you a lot of shoulder healing time for not very much help.

QMacrocarpa
July 6th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Twin braids is another good thought. I thought about trying to get some style to last a few days (my shoulder was definitely in favor of this plan!) but my hair gets so frizzy that I fear I would look a bit too crazed.

Last night I tried a side braid and it worked quite well, and even (mostly) stayed in place overnight. I'd been assuming that a side braid on me would have a mighty cloud of uncontained wisps on the side away from the braid, but apparently not. Live and learn! :)

Side/twin braids and banded ponytails, here I come!

tinti
July 6th, 2011, 08:49 AM
You could do a topsy tail on the side, and then do another one further down. Kinda looks like a fishtail braid.