PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about dying my hair...

PeonyGarden
July 5th, 2011, 10:08 AM
So, I'm thinking about dying my hair...

In the summer my normally dark brown hair tends to bleach naturally to a coppery red colour. On anyone else I would probably like the effect, but on me, I hate it. Eventually with enough sun, it turns into a brassy blonde/copper colour. As my hair is curly, generally only the curls turn red and through them you can still see my very dark scalp hair - it's not a nice effect at all!

On the other hand, I like the idea of having 'virgin' hair, and would like to grow out my natural hair colour.. but I don't think it is going to happen without me covering my hair all summer long, every year.

I would like to dye as close as possible to my natural hair colour. I guess I'm wondering how much damage could dying my hair once a year do?

I know a lot of us longhairs here at the LHC dye their hair regularly, so I'm interested in your input!

I'm a little worried about hennindigoing, because I'm not sure if I could get the colour right every time, and I'm afraid that the henna would make my hair even redder when it bleaches - but, if you have some advice I'd love to hear it!

I'll try to find some photos to put up to illustrate what I mean.

twilight_faerie
July 5th, 2011, 10:29 AM
It depends on how resistant to damage your hair is. Some people notice considerable damage when they dye their hair; others can dye their hair over and over with chemical dyes and notice only minimal damage (or none at all). (I dyed my hair a lighter color for years - a full-head application every month - without trashing my hair.) For most people, I doubt dyeing once a year would do much damage, particularly since you'd be dyeing darker rather than lighter (so there'd be no peroxide in your chemical dye). There are some threads (and, I think, articles) about how to care for color-treated hair (or bleached hair) to minimize damage - you might want to check them out.

As for henndigo, keep in mind that it tends to fade for some people, so you could end up with bright, permanent henna red.

QueenJoey
July 5th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Stick with only semi-permanent. That's what I did. It's a bit nicer to your hair and fades sooner, so you can have your natural color back in less time.

BabyRay33
July 5th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I think if you don't want red, any henna-indigo could be a bad idea. I think maybe a semi-permanent could be your solution. As other people said, there would be no peroxide, so maybe do that, and then do a SMT after and I'm sure you'll be fine.

PeonyGarden
July 5th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Thank you everyone for such quick responses!

I'm not sure how resistant to damage my hair is - is there any way to tell? I used to treat my hair quite badly before I found the LHC so it's hard to tell if the majority of damage was from the dye or from the way I treated my hair. I'm betting on the latter.

Thank you for the suggestion on chemically treated hair articles - I'll be sure to take a look.

The main consensus seems to be to stay away from henna, lest my hair turns even more red, so I wont try hennindigoing.

I don't know much about semipermanent dye - if it fades, will it fade back to my sun bleached reddish hair? Or will it just fade to a less vibrant brown colour?

Unfortunately I couldn't find any photos - this is a new computer and I haven't switched my photos over from the old hard drive yet.

curlymarcia
July 5th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Hi, there are hair products with sunscreen on them. Or you can add some sunscreen to your favorite hair product, maybe you can avoid the undesired summer hair color. Since your problem is only in the summer. Try a semi or demi-permanent hair color as QueenJoey says. These hair dyes wash out, and damages less.

twilight_faerie
July 5th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Thank you everyone for such quick responses!

I'm not sure how resistant to damage my hair is - is there any way to tell? I used to treat my hair quite badly before I found the LHC so it's hard to tell if the majority of damage was from the dye or from the way I treated my hair. I'm betting on the latter.

Try a strand test with a chemical dye. That'll give you an accurate idea of how your hair's condition will be after dyeing.

whitestiletto
July 5th, 2011, 03:17 PM
You should consider a coconut pre treatment to protect your hair during conventional dye process. Apparently it works wonders.

MonaLisa
July 5th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I say don't dye it!
That's how most bad stories here start ' i wanted to dye my hair just once more'..
who knows what can go wrong..
If you're dedicated to growing healthy, virgin, long hair then just don't risk it..
I said if :) and this is just my opinon.

I get that coppery red/light from sun too, especially new growth which looks a bit weird if you ' zoom in' but overall hair condition is what matters more to me, and of course the goals.

Lianna
July 5th, 2011, 06:32 PM
It depends on how resistant to damage your hair is. Some people notice considerable damage when they dye their hair; others can dye their hair over and over with chemical dyes and notice only minimal damage (or none at all). (I dyed my hair a lighter color for years - a full-head application every month - without trashing my hair.) For most people, I doubt dyeing once a year would do much damage, particularly since you'd be dyeing darker rather than lighter (so there'd be no peroxide in your chemical dye). There are some threads (and, I think, articles) about how to care for color-treated hair (or bleached hair) to minimize damage - you might want to check them out.

As for henndigo, keep in mind that it tends to fade for some people, so you could end up with bright, permanent henna red.

@bolded
That's me!! :D Sometimes even twice a month, and occasional all over bleach or highlight.

OP: You can do a strand test if you're really worried. But I think going darker with a deposit only dye is pretty impossible to have any damage.

Luxepiggy (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/member.php?u=30956) just dyed her hair blue back from brownish black and looks so stunning, maybe she has some advice for you.

long&blonde
July 5th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I've dyed my hair at least once a month, 15 till 55. Have been getting it dyed blonde to match silver roots coming in/blonde highlights over that, for past year, every 3 or 4 months at sa,on.
Going darker is far less damaging than lightening your hair.
Per salon too;not just me.
I've had the most luck with Nice & Easy.
Always pick a shade lighter than what you think you want. And strand test with shed hair;collect off brushs now!
(Not that I ever did a strand test:Ha! But I sense you are conscientious.)
Ash shades combat red tones.
I do like Nice & Easy's lightest golden brown:but it definitely has a lot of reddish tones to it.
A lightest ash brown might work for you.
And actually, their medium ash blonde is light brown.
But if your concern is summer only, try the temporary color.
I've never had luck with them, but maybe for a few months,it could be your solution.
Good luck!

Kdc0180
July 5th, 2011, 07:04 PM
My hair is EXACTLY like yours. I did a half up hairstyle today, turned around in the mirror and discovered that the part pulled up was a coppery color and my hair underneath is dark brown. Sick. I'm probably going with henna to dye my hair since I've heard so many good things about it. I think in the long run henna would probably be better for your hair in your journey to growing it out. :)

LunaMoon
July 9th, 2011, 05:21 AM
I colored my hair yesterda and looks great! Looks in better condition then before, but I went darker. My hair was almost blond on the top from the sun. You can see the difference between my avatar and my sig pic. Now its is darker than the my natural red, but it is Red, no blond!
I am loving it! Let's see in a long term...