PDA

View Full Version : Everyday Updo?

Tehillim408
July 5th, 2011, 10:03 AM
How do you wear your hair up on a day to day basis?

Perhaps it changes from time to time, but what is the hairstyle you most turn to?

bunzfan
July 5th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Normally a braided bun for me or some sort of bun.

ladyfey
July 5th, 2011, 10:43 AM
chinese braided bun is my favorite.

QMacrocarpa
July 5th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Variety is the spice of my updo life! It's rare that I do the same updo two days in a row, though I do have some frequently-recurring favorites, like the Lazy Wrap bun, the Pencil bun, and the folded braid.

ravenreed
July 5th, 2011, 11:01 AM
The easiest for me is the nautilus.

Lishamatish
July 5th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Braided piggytails :) Although I am getting worried about the lacci-band damage so I might switch to hairsticked buns :)

Wavelin
July 5th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Cinnabun, pinned up with amish pins (no elastic band). Fast, easy, works with my length and my layers.

But I do think it's boring.. and I actually don't like having my hair the same way every day.. So I'm gonna follow this tread and see if I get any ideas :D

monsterna
July 5th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Half-up with either a clip or a flexi-8.

Loreley
July 5th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Cinnamon bun with 1 hair stick. When my hair is too slippery and it just doesn't want to stay up I wear a braided cinnabun.

pepperminttea
July 5th, 2011, 11:52 AM
At the moment I've been leaning on the braided cheater's nautilus a little too heavily. It's quick and easy to do comfortably. I've no patience for an updo that won't last all day, especially when I don't want anyone to see my roots. :p

LoversLullaby
July 5th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Pencil bun held with spin pins covered with a bun cover.

frizzinator
July 5th, 2011, 01:02 PM
My everyday is the log roll, that I'm wearing in my avatar, and a wrap bun which is exactly like the log roll, except that it's secured differently.

Zesty
July 5th, 2011, 01:07 PM
The pencil bun is totally my fallback. I also do a folded braid with an octopus clip a lot. Those two are kind of my everyday "who cares, only a four year old will see it anyway" styles. For when I'm going out (i.e. doing anything more than lounging around or babysitting) I tend to do a roped vortex bun or a braided cinnabun with a Ficcare. But I'm still learning new styles, so maybe I'll be a "variety is the spice of life" person later on.

Nastasia
July 5th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I do lots and lots of lazy wrap buns. Sometimes I mix it up with nautilus and hypno buns, and my usual day-before-washing hairdo is a french braid.

KittyLost
July 5th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I clip it back with a claw/octopus clip and leave my fringe loose. Everyday. I sometimes do a ponytail but I need to find the right place so I don't get much breakage/headaches.

Chromis
July 5th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Log roll with a Ficcare is my go to. The back of my head even shows up with you do an image search on Google for that style and clip!

Looks nice for work, holds when working out and fit under warm wooly hats in winter even :cheese:

gthlvrmx
July 5th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Pencil bun is my fallback bun. My usual buns are pencil bun, magicknot bun, braided pencil bun, braided cinnamon bun, chinese buns.

sibylla
July 5th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Nautilus bun is my favourite when I´m at home.My hair weighs a lot so I make it high up.When I go out I wear two damp english braids for the first hour and the rest of the day I wear my braid waves;)

ashke50
July 5th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Hypno bun with flexi8 and cinnabun with spin pins are my two "standard" styles. I do try out other things now and then, but those are the two I can do quickly when I realise I am running late for work (again).

Stub
July 5th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Double braids. Easy and keeps my hair out of my face/off my neck. I used to do ponytails but now they give me migraines. I like fancier braids (french, dutch) or half-ups for festivities.

celebriangel
July 5th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I constantly go for an infinity, a lazy wrap bun or a seashell bun. If none of those are holding comfortably - sometimes I just have "sensitive scalp" days - I'll do a chinese bun or a dutch braid.

Saranne772
July 5th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Log roll and French Braid are two of my main hair styles :D

Anje
July 5th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Lazy Wrap, Infinity bun, or a braid, but I alternate the three too much to declare one of them to be my go-to.

torrilin
July 5th, 2011, 07:12 PM
English braid or cinnabun.

tinti
July 5th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I mostly turn to the cheaters hairstick bun or the swirly twist (now that I've "invented it". But sometimes I'll try a braied bun to see if the ends will tuck, and I like folded braids and twist-ups with my ficcare. I'm looking forward to my hair being able to do the lazy wrap and the nautilus and the figure 8/infinity bun again. And English braids, not to mention, they're still a bit loose and falling out a bit to easily for my liking.

Madora
July 5th, 2011, 08:08 PM
I loosely braid my hair and wear it in a bun on top of my head. Comfy and fast, and when I'm ready for bed I don't have to change hairstyles for sleep.

Brenda714
July 5th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I just love a long, low pony tail, it looks awesome. At the moment, I do that a lot

Lostsoule77
July 5th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I've rotated for years between a regular english braid & my version of a knot bun. Lately I've thrown the lazy wrap bun in, both regular & braided.

Lianna
July 5th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Being a short hair, not as many options, but usually a french twist, half-up or this bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=205).

swetiepeti
July 5th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Usually don't wear my hair up, but have a goal to do it more. Can't stand driving with a bun/roll at the back of my head. For years I've been doing a simple braid three days a week for work. When you work as a nurse you don't want your hair to "dip" into anything. The rest of the time I wore it loose unless going out and I felt like putting it up. Then I'd usually french braid it and pull up the bottom tucking it into the top. That was my most common "go to updo" as I thought it looked and stayed put the best. Or a simple braid started higher than normal then twisted into a bun. Frech roll on occasoin. What I think you all call a knot roll with sticks.
I'm now increasing my amount of time braided, and the amount of time spent up. Don't think I'll ever be 100% of the time awake in an updo, but I figure that at least trying to keep it braided at least double to triple what I used to do (about 40 hours a week before) should help.

inertia
July 5th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I've been doing lazy wrap buns as my default "just keeping it out of the way" style.

On days when I have enough forethought to sleep in curlers the night before, I'll do a variation with loose curls. Start with a wrap bun, then instead of tucking in the last coil, leave the curled ends cascading over the top. On me it ends up looking something like a really voluminous shoulder-length ponytail.

Masara
July 5th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I vary all the time and I hate to wear the same updo two days running. If I need something fast that will stay in all day, i'll probably either go for a Chinese bun or a French braid.

krissykins
July 5th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I've always fallen back on the cinnamon bun or the lazy wrap. Both secured with forks, but occasionally I'll use some of my other hairtoys (flexi's and ketylos and spin pins, oh my!)

TheStorm
July 6th, 2011, 12:00 AM
After work or on non working days I wear my hair in a plain normal braid, elastic at the top and at the end, also with a ribbon braided down the length because I find that it bulks it up a bit and doesn't knot so much that way. I also sleep with it like that too so it isn't a knotted mess when I get up. If I'm feeling lazy it will just get a ponytail but I have to braid it before bed.
Everyday for work, uniform rules say that I have to wear a braided ballet type bun with a scrunchie or bow in it.

Becky9679
July 6th, 2011, 06:53 AM
My go-to style at the moment is the pencil bun, my hair is only just long enough for it and it took me a while to learn it without pulling too much on my roots but once it's up it stays like a rock all day! If I do need to redo it for any reason it takes a second, it's so simple :)

elbow chic
July 6th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Lately a variation of JJJ's folded braid. Basically an English braid at the nape, folded over and pinned to the back of my head.

GoatLady
July 6th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Not enough coffee yet, this morning. I just read this as "eyebrow updo". That got my attention. :coffee:

Chamomile betty
July 6th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Scrunch my hair, twist or bun, then held by a Ficcare Maximas. Done that for years. It's great for work and going out. I sometimes wear it messy/casual and other times I like it more 'fixed' looking.

Patty lou
July 6th, 2011, 10:18 AM
For the hot summer 2 high up braided double buns and if I need a more formal do
Heidi Braids or Milkmaid braids.

Patty lou

LunaMoon
July 6th, 2011, 12:39 PM
French twist and cinnamon bun are my favorites. I like do make a messy one doing a "kind of" 2 french twists as well, but I don't know if has a name. :D

jfeg116
July 6th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I'm usually a messy bun or a...I don't know what to call it, I guess it's a bun but I use an elastic to hold it together so it's really more of a knot, I guess. Either that or I do it in two braids then clip them to the top of my head- super quick, easy, cool, comfortable, secure and kinda cute :)

Poppy Seed
July 6th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Gibraltar for me, either one or two sticks.

Second most is cinnabun with ficcare.

I want to do more...

Capybara
July 6th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I've been doing bunnytails, split buns, and messy buns a lot since I cut my hair shorter. If it's longer, I like cinnabuns and braided buns (chinese or cinnamon).

bna_rapunzel
July 6th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I'm a hairstick kinda gal. Any type of bun, sometimes I even throw my hair into some sort of concoction that the sticks somehow hold :)

Raiscake
July 8th, 2011, 06:41 AM
I've been wearing a cinnabun with either hairsticks or spin pins all week. It's just so quick and easy to do. Perfect for when I'm rushing to work.

RachieBaby
July 8th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Cinnabun with my goody spin pins! Quick and easy to do and holds like a rock. Though im thinking maybe I should try something different for a bit like French braids.

littlenvy
July 8th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I alternate between three so that my has a break from each do.
1- fold over braid (so that my ends are protected)
2- Semi-french twist that I clip with a big clip.
3- Most often I do a Chignon like the one in my profile pictuer because its the only do that makes me look like I have a lot of hair ... which I don't. :p

haibane
July 8th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Lazy wrap bun with a fork. Anything else seems to hurt my hair and/or scalp more. I vary it a lot though, using different forks, doing it horizontal/vertical etc.

layla<33
July 8th, 2011, 03:14 PM
just a plain old ponytail :D i have too many short layers to do anything else :( i cant even do a simple braid :(

EtherealOde
July 8th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Right now, peacock twist is about the only thing I can do with my length and layers. I also like pulling back sections of hair with small jeweled claw clips. Previously, I did a lot of styles (my longest length was 29 inches) but my favorites were the french twist, and lazy wrap bun for quick styles. I mainly used Ficcares for updos, but on occasion I used hairsticks or forks. The Ficcares were simply the easiest (for me) and secure hold method without needing any type of elastic.

summerjade
July 8th, 2011, 06:22 PM
At the moment I am wearing my hair in a low side bun with one hair stick. It stays well and looks nice. I also like to french braid my hair and I like a long low ponytail too.

Fairlight63
July 8th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I am trying to grow out my bangs, which are a pain in the you know what, so right now I have on a headband & the rest of my hair in a braid rolled up like a cinn. bun with a ficcare. Holds like a rock.

CrisDee
July 8th, 2011, 06:50 PM
For years, the French twist was the only updo I knew how to do - but I'm having fits at the moment because the too-short sides of my uber slippery hair keep slipping out of it. So my every day style at this length is a wet cinnabun held in place by a cloth scrunchee - keeps it off me, and the wet hair helps keep me cool.

SC
July 8th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Tiny cinnamon bun (before I got to LHC I called those just bobby pin buns :rolleyes:) is one that I usually use. Sometimes I wear my hair with hair elastics or beak clips (french braid from side to another, ended with hair elastic).

gracenotes
July 9th, 2011, 11:17 PM
folded braid held with a ficcare, or braided bun. I used to do cinnabuns a lot, but I wanted a change :)

Seeshami
July 9th, 2011, 11:26 PM
If the naughty mess has been good and nice to me I will actually take time to put it up. If it has been a naughty mess it is banished to the sloppy bun and ignored.

Melon Collie
July 9th, 2011, 11:58 PM
When working or being outdoors, I like to have my hair in a low bun. It's the easy and with all the practice I've had I can put in a bun in not time flat.

I've somewhat given up on pony tails. I don't like leaving my ends loose.