PDA

View Full Version : Scented Hair

Tehillim408
July 5th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I'm a huge fan of historical novels, and oftentimes, I'll come across a novel that will describe the characters' (usually royal ones) beauty regimen.

One of the beauty treatments that really has me intruiged is rinsing hair with rose water or some other scented concoction...

...which leads me to the following question:

What do you do to make your hair smell good? Do you spray natural perfume on it? Add a drop of essential oil to your BBB? Rinse your hair out with scented water?

Copasetic
July 5th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I pretty much rely on my traditional hair care products to give my hair a scent, but the rose water idea sounds lovely. Rose is pretty much my favourite scent, and there are no hair products that even try to smell like rose. It must be quite costly to do, and would easily be nullified by my leave in products, but it sounds amazing!

BroadwayBeauty
July 5th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Typically, if I don't like the way a product smells, I won't buy it. So to me, the conditioners and other products I use smell the way I want my hair to smell. Sometimes when I want a boost of fragrance, I'll put in a little leave-in conditioner in the scent I want (like HE Long Term Relationship... Looooooove the way that stuff smells). I know this is silly, but I hate it when I can smell someone hair and go, "Oh! She uses all Garnier Fructis products" or whatever other brand. I like it when hair smells are a bit more complex than "I use every product from this particular line."

I do, however, sometimes spray one of my brushes with a little perfume and brush my hair with it, but that's usually for some kind of special occasion, especially when I plan on having someone get close to or touch my hair.

spigette
July 5th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Where I live, most public areas, government buildings, hospitals and workplaces are "scent-free" to accommodate people who have environmental sensitivities. No one I know has worn perfume or body spray for years, which is too bad because I used to love that stuff - now when I travel or meet people from away, I am overwhelmed by the scents they wear. You can smell people coming before you see them sometimes, lol.

We are even supposed to use unscented hair products, deodorant, lotions, laundry detergent etc. This is hard to do since there is not a lot to choose from out there.

I work at a University, and the policy is "scent-free". So most of what I use in my hair or on my skin has a very light scent if anything - I like vanilla or coconut. I have a coworker who has environmental sensitivity and she doesn't mind what little scent I wear, it doesn't bother her. Natural products like coconut oil seem to be fine - my hair loves them and they smell SOOOOO yummy, lol.

virgo75
July 5th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Like the other ladies I choose products that I enjoy the scent of.
My current favorite scent wise is Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender Shampoo & Conditioner. :cloud9:

The scent is very strong in the bottle and shower, but faint on my hair once dry. So sometimes I'll add a bit of lavender scented oil or use Aveda's Beautifying Composition Oil which smells like lavender and a touch of a few other essential oils.

I'm realizing I prefer floral scents over fruity or sweet(exception being coconut), and medium or weak in strength on my hair. I don't like walking around in a cloud of hair fragrance even if it's a scent I enjoy. It means instant headache for me. So how light the Avalon and Aveda end up are perfect for me. :)

I also agree that it can be much nicer to smell a unique scent on someone than know that their hair is smelling like "Garnier", "Herbal Essences," or "Pantene."

BabyRay33
July 5th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I use Lush's R& B Conditioner cause I love the way it smells. Too bad my boyfriend thinks it is too spicy...but I wear it sometimes anyway

HairFaerie
July 5th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Almost every day I mist my hair with a homemade spray because I love the smell. I use water, jojoba oil and special blends of essential oils in a small mister bottle. There is just a tiny bit of jojoba so my hair doesn't gets greasy or heavy, it just carries the EOs and adds a bit of shine to my hair. I like to experiment with the EO blends. I get a lot of compliments, especially with the blends that contain patchouli!

I LOVE scented hair! Even with my short hair, the scent is subtle but people notice it. It's just enough to be intriguing, but not overpowering.....mysterious! YES!

Wavelin
July 5th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I think my hair smells good as it is :) And so does my boyfriend (well, perhaps not on day 5...) It is mostly because of sensitivity, that i use unscented products. But I also think that mixing different smelling shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, facial cream and so on is quite fowl smelling.

So, if I want to scent my hair, I take a little bit of my EO-mix or some natural perfume and put it in my hair. I do think it smells sexy, and it feels special, because I do it on special occasions. If I do want to perfume myself, I always put some in my hair :) (love to smell my hair, hair obsessive..)

MissAlida
July 5th, 2011, 10:54 AM
My hair usually smells like my conditioner, since that is the last thing I aply when washing it. In the past I used to put a little perfume in my hair. Just the perfume I was wearing that day. I don't do that anymore...I am afraid that the alcohol in perfume might dry out/damage my hair. Anyone else who did/still does this to get nice smelling hair?

RitaPG
July 5th, 2011, 10:54 AM
My conditioner smells pretty ^^
Sometimes I mix 1 drop of jojoba and 1 drop of Lavender Essential oil and smooth it on my hair. I have also used Jasmine, it lasts for days :crush:

QMacrocarpa
July 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I'm using up a bottle of jojoba oil which has a more toasty-nutty smell than I cared for, so I added a few drops of lavendar essential oil to it. If it gives my hair a lavendar smell, it's probably pretty subtle.

Azhtabak
July 5th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I love having my hair smell nice :) It usually picks up a bit of a smell (rosemary and chocolate lol) from my conditioner/shampoo, and I've also got some essential oils which I like to add in occasionally; my favourites at the moment are jasmine and cinnamon.

I'd like to try rose, particularly as I seem to remember reading somewhere it has some hair benefits, but rose oil is _horrendously_ expensive :P

whitestiletto
July 5th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I bought organic rosevwater on amazon for about ten dollars, and I mix in a few drops of jasmine oil, also ten dollars, and spritz it on. Smells heavenly and I have 16 ounces so not too costly.