PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair and Makeup

Tehillim408
July 5th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Do you find that you wear less makeup as your hair grows longer?

When I had really short hair, I found that I needed to wear more makeup in order to compensate for my lack of feminine length.

Now that my hair is longer, I feel more feminine and womanly, which decreases my need to make up for that by wearing a ton of cosmetics.

Has this been the case for any of you? I'm curious :)

Carolyn
July 5th, 2011, 10:02 AM
No. I wear just as much make up now as I did with shoulder length hair. That was my shortest length since I started wearing make up daily in the 8th grade. I love my make up just as much as I love having long hair. I wouldn't give up either one. Both make me feel pretty and confident and good about myself.

Copasetic
I have been wearing less make up as my hair has gotten longer, but I think it has more to do with age than my hair length. The older I get, the less I can be bothered to apply make up every day. For me, it doesn't have anything to do with femininity really.

theodora
I have to agree, when I had a pixie I wore a hell of a lot of make-up because I felt really androgynous. I kept being mistaken for a boy, which was really awkward. As soon as my hair got back to collar bone length, I stopped wearing so much.
I also for some reason tend to wear more make-up when I dye my hair dark as opposed to my natural blond. But that might be because with blond hair, I find I can quickly look 'barbie' like with too much make-up.

It's all probably completely psychological, at the end of the day with short/long/black/blond/shaved hair (not that I've ever shaved it), I'm still the same person, with the same face/body, so there really is no reason to feel less feminine.

QueenJoey
July 5th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I don't wear as much makeup, but that's because I used to wear a TON of makeup when I first discovered it, so I wear alot less in comparison. I don't think it's because of my hair. Actually, you know what? I think it does! Because I've learned to embrace how my hair natually looks by giving up heated appliances. So now I'm embracing how my face naturally looks by giving up heavy makeup. Well, not totally giving up. I still put on lots of makeup for photoshoots and plays.

I actually love my makeup and skincare as much as I love my hair care. I don't want to overdo either, but just enough so they both stay very fun. skin, hair, nails-my true loves :p

QueenJoey
July 5th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I don't wear as much makeup, but that's because I used to wear a TON of makeup when I first discovered it, so I wear alot less in comparison. I don't think it has any relation to my hair. Actually, you know what? I think it does! Because I've learned to embrace how my hair natually looks by giving up heated appliances. So now I'm embracing how my face naturally looks by giving up heavy makeup. Well, not totally giving up. I still put on lots of makeup for photoshoots and plays.

I actually love my makeup and skincare as much as I love my hair care. I don't want to overdo either, but just enough so they both stay very fun.

Katurday
July 5th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I wear the same amounts of makeup I always did. I do wear earrings more, mostly cause they look good with a pixie.

MissAlida
July 5th, 2011, 10:35 AM
When I had a pixie I have worn makeup almost every day. Not much, just a black eyeliner and mascara. Nowadays I find that I wear makeup only on special occasions, or when I really feel like it, which is very rare.On these rare ocasions I forget about wearing eyeshadow or eyeliner and end up scratching my eyelid out of habit. Then I get frustrated for ruining my makeup and end up banishing it for another undefinite amount of time.:)I like makeup, actually, I've gotten pretty good at it now, better then I was when I had short hair. But wearing makeup every day is not for me. Going natural is so much easier.:o

ladyfey
July 5th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I second Copasetic. As I've aged I wear way less makeup, I was a teenager in the 80's and so I started off wearing a ton of makeup!

Siiri
July 5th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I had the exact opposite, when I cut my hair into a pixie, I started wearing less make up than with long hair and almost completely stopped wearing skirts and big earrings. I just thought they looked all wrong with a boyish hair cut.

HairFaerie
July 5th, 2011, 10:43 AM
It doesn't change for me. I wear it when I feel like wearing it....whether my hair is short, long or in between.

When I was younger...I would NEVER leave the house without makeup. Then, I started to realize "This is silly. It's a mask! I don't need to wear this all of the time". It was very hard to break out of the habit but I started to take really good care of my skin and wore only a little bit of makeup. I decided to embrace my "natural self". Now, I am comfortable with or without it. I do like to wear it when I am going out and want to look "fancy"! But, I don't depend on it like a crutch like I did when I was younger.

When I has a pixie, I didn't feel masculine at all. I did like how makeup looked with a pixie though... it made my eyes stand out a lot, especially with makeup! It seems as if longer hair detracts from my features and I did feel a bit more "dull" sometimes when not wearing makeup with longer hair.

Anje
July 5th, 2011, 10:49 AM
My makeup-wearing is really inconsistent and tends to have a lot more to do with how I feel about my skin than with my hair. (To be fair, I don't remember a time when my hair was shorter than shoulder.) If I'm broken out, I typically wear makeup. Today, the skin's not bad and I'm not wearing any at all.

turtlelover
July 5th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I didn't notice a difference in amount of makeup that I wore, but used to wear big, dangling earrings when I had super short hair to make me feel less androgynous.

*Rose Red*
July 5th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I think I wear more make-up, because I like to create a new look, try out different looks with different make up and I feel more pretty with longer hair

wvgemini
July 5th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I wear about the same. But I don't wear a whole lot to begin with other than eye makeup. Not that I wear a ton of that at once, mind you, I just like playing with eyeshadows a good bit.

curlymarcia
July 5th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I wear the same amount of make up. I love to be smart and also feminine.

chahuahuas
July 5th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I wore basically no makeup when I had my pixie, and I wear it all the time now. Heavy makeup on the eyes or lips look inappropriate with a boyish pixie cut (unless it's just heavy black lined eyes, no color). If you google a pixie cut, most of the celebs are wearing very natural makeup (except a couple punk rockers with heavy black liner). I'm not sure how I feel about makeup when itsa bob vs. long hair, though.

My long hair also coincides with me getting a job at a bar, where I wore makeup EVERY day to fit in with the other girls. I don't feel compelled to wear makeup everyday now that I'm not working there anymore, but now I love playing with all the brushes and colors I bought for my job! I enjoy putting on makeup more now that I feel skilled.

Chromis
July 5th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I wear more. Not because I think there is anything wrong with how I look, but because I discovered that I like to play with bright eyeshadows. I don't have a problem going without, but I find coming up with new colour combos to be fun and it doesn't take more than an extra couple minutes for me. Today I have bright yellow with a pretty green shaded into the corners for example.

KittyLost
July 5th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I'm not much of a make-up person. I love lip balm though and I'm never without one, I sometimes put some eyeliner on or mascara but that's it for everyday. I make more of an effort if i'm going out by wearing my hair in a french braid and make my eyes the main focus as I don't have my long sultry wavy hair to flirt with.

Make-up is lost on me otherwise, foundation/powder/blusher makes me look like a clown when I experiment :p i'm just pleased that I can at least work eye shadow lol.

knittingyogini
July 5th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I wore make-up more frequently when I had a pixie--another person who felt I needed eyeliner and mascara to look feminine. I seem to be wearing it a bit more recently. Now I'm wondering if its because I have been wearing buns all the time and some how feel the I look too plain from the front if all my hair is pulled back.

Capybara
July 5th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I go through phases when I wear more/less/no makeup, but it isn't connected to my hair, for me at least. I've been a longhair all my life, though, so probably not the best standard :)

pepperminttea
July 5th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Nope. I wear no make-up the majority of the time now, and did the same when my hair was shorter. I don't want to become someone who can't go out without some on, I don't see why my natural face is so terrible that I need to paint a mask on every morning. That said, I do have some, and know the basics with concealer and foundation, but when I do wear it I like it to look as if I'm not wearing any. I only really use it when my acne comes out to say hello, or for a special occasion.

celebriangel
July 5th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I'm with pepperminttea. I had a very brief teenage phase where everyone managed to convince me that I would just be *so pretty* if I dressed like a girl and wore makeup and straightened by hair. Well, I got sick of that real fast, so I ditched the girly clothes, the makeup and the long hair all in one go.

I have since found a happy medium. I love my long hair, but still dislike heavy, daily makeup and a lot of feminine fashions. But I wear more makeup now than I did in my pixie phase - mostly eye makeup, because my eyes are probably my best feature, and playing them up works well. Instead of foundation, I have been experimenting with natural skincare, with excellent results, which means I feel good about my natural, foundationless face.

Angel_099
July 5th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I rarely wear make-up...and when I do it's eye liner and lip gloss. I have been that way for a while now, and also had fairly long hair for a while so I can't really say that it's because of my hair. I just prefer a more natural look.

Magdalene
July 5th, 2011, 03:28 PM
No, I think it has had alot more to do with growing older and more comfortable in my own skin. (better skincare has also made a difference)

jujube
July 5th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I wear light makeup at work and when I go out, other than that I go bare faced. With long hair, a bob, dreadlocks or a buzzcut. IMO feminity has a lot more to do with grace, posture and movement than having long hair or wearing makeup. I hope I'm not the only one on this forum who thinks this way, but I don't view short hair as unfeminine any more than I view long hair as necessarily feminine.

battles
July 5th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I didn't wear any makeup whenever I had a pixie, and now that my hair is growing I'm starting to wear a little bit. Strange. :p

~Jenny^-^~
July 5th, 2011, 04:03 PM
When my hair was shorter I felt the need to play up my face to match my funky do...so yes i suppose i did wear more makeup then. Now, as my hair gets longer the words 'fresh' and 'natural' come to mind. In short, my hair "plays up" my face for me. ;)

elbow chic
July 5th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I've been wearing much less makeup, too. Don't really know why-- used to be I wouldn't even go to the grocery store without primer, foundation, blush and mascara. I don't know why I was so obsessive about it; there is nothing wrong with my skin. :shrug:

Now I wear moisturizer and sunscreen and my hair. :)

I bought a new tube of primer last month and haven't even opened it. Maybe I'll feel more like it once fall rolls around.

kidari
July 5th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I love makeup. When I was younger I went through a phase where I really liked to cake it on and wear too much. I got over it, learned what worked best for me, so the amount I wear has been the same from ear length until now at BSL and that won't change as it gets longer. However, the way I dress is totally different. When my hair was shorter I dressed in clothes that are tighter and more revealing but as it gets longer I dress in clothing that is more bohemian and flowy.

summerjade
July 5th, 2011, 04:43 PM
When I was younger I wouldn't leave the house without full makeup on. Meaning foundation, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick. Now, I am more confident and don't feel I HAVE to have makeup on to leave the house. I do wear mascara and lipgloss most of the time. I don't think it is because of my hair length. It is just because I have good skin now and have more confidence.

owlathena
July 5th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I wear less make up now than I did a couple years ago, mostly because I'm more confident. Whether thats because of age or longer hair, I don't know.

Latte Lady
July 5th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I love cosmetics! The long nails, winged eyeliner, red lips the whole sha-bang! I collect the stuff and I don't do it just so I can sit and look at it! I rarely talk about it except with close friends as there is a misconception that if you are into fashion and makeup then you must be shallow.
I wear more than the average person but I do try to keep it appropriate to what I'm doing or where I'm going. My idea of a simple look is a classic pin-up/Dita Von Teese style. I can do that in twenty mins or less. Wear red lipstick and a winged liner and folks will think your wearing tons of makeup.
My hair has nothing to do with my makeup. It's very long and mostly up. My hair does decide my clothes though. If I wear a beautiful jewelry-like hair toy, I'm going to dress extra nice. If I decide to wear my hair down than I'll choose a dress without anything that might snag my hair.

long&blonde
July 5th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I only wear chapstick.
And yes, when my hair was short;
Which hasn't been often; I wore eye makeup.
I think in my case, born 1954, coming "of ages" in the hippie era of the 70s,
Not caring for makep came naturally to me.
I made myself wear it with short hair. And didn't like it then either.

Mesmerise
July 5th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Well for me makeup has more to do with what I'm doing each day than my hair! When I had a job and had to show my face in public every day I wore makeup. Not a lot! I used to wear only eyebrow pencil (that was my #1 piece of makeup because having eyebrows makes such a difference, and my own are very light and quite sparse), eyeliner (liquid, so not particularly subtle) and mascara. For lips I'd just wear lip balm. I also used to wear a bit of face powder to prevent shinies. When going out I'd go a couple of further steps and wear foundation and eyeshadow and lipstick.

However, working from home and bumming around in trackies most of the day... I've pretty much stopped with the makeup. It doesn't make much sense to wear it. I'm also getting used to my face without it. Before, my basic makeup was my "face" and when I wasn't wearing any I felt exceptionally ugly. Now I just feel ordinary without makeup and more attractive when I put a bit on! I think that's a good thing actually!

But yeah, it doesn't have much to do with hair!

Although...when I had a pixie I was in the makeup every day stage, even when I wasn't working...then again, that was about 8 years ago now, so maybe it's just I'm getting older and don't care as much if people see my plain ugly ole face!

WittyWordsmith
July 5th, 2011, 07:36 PM
When I had really short hair, I wore more makeup because I was younger and that's just how it went.

I still love makeup, and enjoy putting it on, but I don't feel the need to do it every day. It really depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going. If I want the bare minimum, I put on some concealer under my eyes, some mascara, and lip balm. I may add more from there, depending on what's happening.

If I'm really going somewhere, I'll do it all, but I don't feel the need to do so as much lately.

I do feel more put together with my hair done and longer. It's possible I wore more because my hair was shorter, but I didn't do so consciously. I definitely feel more feminine with my longer hair, regardless of the makeup situation.

Cardinal
July 5th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I am wearing more make-up as I age because I work with the public, and it truly makes a difference in my interactions when I apply make-up and dress professionally.
I don't wear my hair down at work, and the make-up is just part and parcel of my overall look.

rapunzhell13
July 5th, 2011, 07:49 PM
When I had short hair, particularly a buzzcut, I did feel like wearing more make-up, accessories, girly clothing etc. I didn't do it consciously, although I wasn't oblivious to the change. I just go with what feels right at any particular time. :shrug: At the moment I don't wear any make-up and my hair is around shoulder length. It has nothing to do with length and is mostly to do with being on break and not having to leave the house very often. :lol:

Madora
July 5th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I never wore makeup at all.

Now, it's a different story..but only because my scleroderma issues caused unsightly blood blisters to pop up several places on my face and forehead.

Fortunately, my physician recommended Dermablend and it is fabulous...althought it is very expensive. However, it does the trick and I'm very pleased with the results.

Rocket22
July 5th, 2011, 08:24 PM
You know I think I do tend to wear more makeup the shorter my hair is. although I always love my lipstick/gloss no matter what length I have

Sundial
July 5th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Not at all! My frequency of wearing makeup barely changed and is still dictated by my social calendar

inertia
July 5th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I wear makeup less often than I used to. The first reason is that I finally got a handle on my acne so I'm not embarrassed to have my bare skin seen. The second is that I started coloring my hair closer to my natural shade and no longer look quite so washed-out without makeup.

Having said that, when I do wear makeup, I wear more of it. This past year I've been going through piles of false eyelashes.

Loreley
July 5th, 2011, 11:36 PM
As my hair grows longer I wear more make-up. But it's not because of my hair. A year ago I used only eye pencil and mascara but now I use eye shadow and lipstick too. Not too harsh colors, just light brown mostly. I've recently discovered these things. :D

Ligeia_13
July 6th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I don't really wear much make up anyway. But come to think of it, I used to wear eye liner and mascara much more last year with my short hair. I never thought it could have been the hair. How strange :)

Becky9679
July 6th, 2011, 06:12 AM
My hair length doesn't make much of a difference to the amount of make-up I wear, usually it comes down to whether I have time/whether I can be bothered doing it in the morning. The most days I don't bother, some days I'll wear a little eyeliner and mascara but mostly I save my makeup for weekends and nights out because I generally have more time then

Peashy
July 6th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I'm definitely a less make-up with longer hair person. I don't know why but I too feel more feminine and confident with longer hair and so don't feel the need to focus on my face. It's strange because I don't feel that way about other people, just how 'I' look. :shrug: I've known some really pretty people that carry short hair off beautifully wearing no make-up or accessories - they have however been tall, slim and busty so there is no denying their womanlyness!!

Recently however I just seem to be getting really bad acne. I never had any as a teenager but a few years ago I started getting more and more spots. Right now I am recovering from a cold/flu bug and my skin has never looked this bad. It's awful as this is the first time in a long time i've been happily going out 'naked' but now i'm desperate to find a way of hiding these things without using excessive heavy make-up :confused:

xoerincolleen
July 6th, 2011, 10:22 AM
My makeup habits aren't dictated by the length of my hair. I've always loved makeup! I have unsightly under eye circles and tend to get red easily, so I always wear a foundation and concealer. I love the look of big, long eyelashes, so I always have mascara on too. Usually, for work, I just wear that + some lip balm, but if I'm going out I'll play with eyeshadow or do black liquid eyeliner.
I used to wear the eyeliner all the time, but only this past year, I've become more comfortable without it.

BroadwayBeauty
July 6th, 2011, 10:26 AM
As someone who makes my living through the theatre, I look at makeup as just a part of the job. The amount I wear doesn't change so much with the length of my hair as it does with my hair color. I temporarily dyed my hair dark brown for a show, and the makeup I could wear on a daily basis was very different than it is with my honey-blonde hair.

AlannaMaria
July 6th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I'm the same way. I've never worn all that much makeup, but now I only dot a little foundation where I need it, a little mascara on the top lashes, and a little powder to keep shine away. The longer hair makes me a lot more confident about how I look, so I feel less need for makeup. : )

Neneka
July 6th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I think I wear bigger earrings now when my hair is short but make-up is the same. Actually I didn't wear big earrings at all when I had long hair. I found them when I suddenly had two inches of virgin hair and looked like a boy.

Sweet_Decadence
July 6th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Nope, I love wearing make up. I like to see something or someone that inspires me and create a look based on that, like yesterday my make up was inspired by a pic of Katy Petty advertising for GHD. It's a very important part of my morning routine, it's something I can do when i roll out of bed that doesn't require much though and aloow me to gather myself for the day to come. I'm happy enough to go out without makeup too though, I'm quite comfortable in my own skin.

I tend to find that I wear less makeup when my skin has been behaving and similarly I tend to wear more when it's breaking out or uneven.

Bonkers57
July 10th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Same here. For a time I worried that I was "giving up" until I realized that since I don't FEEL like I'm "giving up", I'm really not "giving up", if that makes any sense! :laugh: I'm just feeling better in my skin; all those things I fretted about when I was younger aren't really a big deal anymore. I still like to wear lipstick - my favorite is a neutral red made by Cover Girl - not because I feel I must, but because I just like it.

No, I think it has had alot more to do with growing older and more comfortable in my own skin. (better skincare has also made a difference)

Speckla
July 10th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I wore punkier/edgie makeup when I had a pixie cut but it was because it matched the style of the hair. I used to do it spiky, curly, plastered back, pushed forward, crownrolls, and all sort of other styles. Now my makeup is softer and more natural because it looks better with my buns and other updos. I've always looked feminine because well...I am a female. ;)

Chromis
July 10th, 2011, 11:21 AM
It is funny the number of people who say they wear less make up now that they are more comfortable in their own skin. I am also more comfortable being me now too, but that is exactly why I like to wear the make up!

You see, when I was not self-assured, I wanted to hide and blend in. Plain face, ponytail, nose in book, baggy clothing. Now I am confident, and I am happy to wear clothing that stands out a little more (I like vintage-inspired looks and colour) and also to wear bright eye shadow and come up with new looks off the top of my head. I'm am still a bookworm of course, but I don't blend into the wall while my nose is in that book so much now!

SarahKayfa
July 10th, 2011, 01:45 PM
When I was sporting a short bob or a pixie, I wore a lot more makeup. It wasn't to compensate for feeling boyish, because I felt sexier. I'm a introverted person, and having a bold haircut gave me a more attention-getting presence. But I have really delicate coloring and having the bold dark color hair really took over my features and I had to compensate by exaggerating them.
Now, I wear a lot less makeup, since my hair is softer and matches my skin tone more I don't need as much.

GrowingGlory
July 20th, 2018, 06:54 PM
I gradually wore less makeup as my hair grew, but lately I have been wearing a full face again.

Arciela
July 20th, 2018, 07:20 PM
I think for me it has to do with just being lazy..haha. I used to wear a lot and apply it in a very meticulous way. Now I just smooth a slightly tinted moisturizer on my face daily..half the time I skip that and just use sun screen or lotion. :)

mira-chan
July 20th, 2018, 07:35 PM
I never wore much makeup and it was sporadic even then. I pretty much wear makeup for stage stuff only lately. I've been reacting to makeup left and right so it's put me off trying to fuss with it. As for hair length, I haven't had short hair since I was 6 so hair length hasn't influenced anything.

Mom never wore much if any makeup and has always had about shoulder length hair since school years. Grandma wore lipstick and maybe mascara, that's it. She's had waist length hair till retirement, then cut it short.

sophia_
July 20th, 2018, 07:47 PM
I never had my hair above my shoulders, but a couple of years ago I decided to get layers and bangs in my hair (which was about hip length). I would style my hair every day (with backcombing and heat shudder: !) and wear foundation every day. Now I guess I'm not going for the ~fully done~ look anymore, so I only spend about 20 minutes every morning on my makeup and hair in total, which doesn't really have a lot to do with length per se, just a different *look* if you know what I mean :laugh:

blushy
July 20th, 2018, 08:56 PM
I absolutely know what you mean!! I loooove wearing makeup but not so much if I feel like I'm obligated to....and when I have shorter hair I, for some reason, feel like I have to wear more makeup. With my long hair, I feel like I look beautiful with or without it :o

Stray_mind
July 20th, 2018, 11:22 PM
I don't associate Long hair with femininity, as i know many wonderful men (metal heads and non metal heads) who have long flowing hair and are still as masculine as ever. Also... Vikings. Enough said. Lol

My answer is yes though, but not because of my length, but rather my hair color. I used to wear more make up to stop my face from looking washed out against my dark hair. Now as i am growing my natural hair out, i can go without Any make up at all and i feel comfortable with it.

LizzyGrant
July 21st, 2018, 07:23 AM
I never wore makeup when I was growing up. I didn't have any interest. Sometimes I tried to put some on for special occasions but I thought I looked weird, like it didn't suit me. My hair was always long. I was the same with my hair than I was with makeup. I liked everything natural. But just recently I started to wear some makeup. I love it so much now! Not too much, just some BB-cream and lip tint or gloss. When I have more time I also add some eye liner and eye shadow, maybe mascara and browcara. I especially like Korean makeup and skin care brands. In my case, makeup has nothing to do with the length of my hair. My preferences have changed.

MoonRabbit
July 21st, 2018, 09:19 AM
Kinda..but not exactly. Whenever I was using heat and styling every day. My daily routine was to do my hair and then my makeup. But now that I let my natural texture shine, I don't have that prepping step in my day to day anymore so I do skip makeup more often than before. Though it really doesn't have a connection with femininity and long hair. I still wear makeup a few times out of the month and I still enjoy it very much. When I have a great makeup day, I feel empowered and very confident, same as a good hair day lol

lithostoic
July 21st, 2018, 10:19 AM
I don't care about femininity. I'm wearing mens jeans as we speak. Hardly ever wear makeup, even when my hair was in jaw length dreadlocks.

Kesali
July 21st, 2018, 02:55 PM
For me personally, a lot of the reason for growing my hair out is that I want to look more classically feminine. I started at chin length quite a while back, and I decided I wanted a very different look. I also did not wear makeup until recently, and currently I'm wearing it more often than I ever have. That could change a lot as I continue! I could absolutely see that happening. We shall see :o

Dark40
July 21st, 2018, 02:58 PM
No, I still wear the same amount of makeup with long hair as I did with shorter hair.

Strawonaberry
July 21st, 2018, 03:37 PM
For me no, because I've never worn make-up on a daily basis.
But, on a similar note, I dressed much more femeninely when I had a pixie cut and in my akward in-between stage. Now that it's longer lately I either just feel like hoodie and jeans, or try on a dress and feel like I look too "dressed up", especially since I've taken to wearing a ballerina-ish sockbun with a big scrunchie or bow. I do feel llike makeup + this hairstyle would be too much for me too anyway, more than with loose or shorter hair.

I think I share with some others here the desire for balancing traditional feminity and boyish-ness/neutral-ness

RosieFleurNuit
July 22nd, 2018, 04:26 PM
In my case there's no relation between hair length/amount of makeup. I've always worn a decent amount of makeup, no matter my hair length, short or long. I just love makeup! Today at classic my hair is as long as it's ever been, and I wear a lot of makeup too (but not for hair reasons). I wear heavy makeup because I'm a performance artist and I tend to wear stage makeup often. I wear minimal when I'm at home though, because at home I'm lazy lol. I like feeling feminine and for me that means at least some makeup, at any hair length I suppose. Shorter hair makes me feel more girly/fun/flirty though, and longer hair more womanly/classic/historical, but that's just me.

illicitlizard
July 22nd, 2018, 07:37 PM
Hasn't changed tbh. Some days I wear makeup, some I don't it doesn't really depend on my hair length at all.

nycelle
July 22nd, 2018, 07:40 PM
Not really. My hair length has nothing to do with how much make-up I wear. Where I'm going, and how I'm feeling determine my make-up.

RedStripe
July 23rd, 2018, 12:38 PM
I wear a fair amount of makeup just because I've always liked it. Lately I've been wearing a bit less because I've started working at home and there's not much point if no one's going to see me (one exception: I do my eyebrows first thing every day no matter what because otherwise I look like I have none, which I can't stand). But I'll put on at least some very basic stuff (cheek color, maybe a bit of eye shadow) if I'm leaving the house for any reason at all, even if I'm just walking to Trader Joe's to buy a loaf of bread.

Ylva
July 23rd, 2018, 02:25 PM
There hasn't really been a difference in how much makeup I wear, because I've never worn much makeup at all except at one point in my life, but that wasn't related to hair at all, just some weird phase of facial insecurity which fortunately hasn't reached such extent since. I'm just generally lazy with makeup and don't like the feel of it, but I do like how it makes me look when I do it right (I'm bad at it). But as my hair has grown and the sort of "historically stereotypical Nordic look" has become more obvious in my case, I've felt that going without makeup is the style that "goes with my hair" so to speak. And if I do do makeup, it's something very slight and natural just to mainly even out my skin tone and stuff like that.

Hopefully that made at least a bit of sense.

longmane
August 25th, 2018, 08:06 PM
Post deleted

MsPharaohMoan
August 25th, 2018, 08:10 PM
I find my feminine strength perfectly intact regardless of if I'm wearing makeup, but I can understand how one can feel diminished without it--if I go several days with makeup, the day I'm without I feel like a ninja in public haha