PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair and Head Coverings

Tehillim408
July 5th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Are there any long hairs out there who cover full time (or part time!) for religious reasons?

If so, what do you cover your hair with and how has that affected your hair's health in a positive or in a negative way?

If you cover your hair for other reasons, even if just occassionally, join in the discussion too!

KittyLost
July 5th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I do not cover my hair, but I have been thinking about it for personal and hair reasons. The only thing that puts me off the idea is possibly recieving negative comments off other people. I live in a not very accepting area. So i'm interested in this thread too.

pittsburgpam
July 5th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't mind covering my hair but I also think that there might be negative perceptions... or just plain weird in most circumstances.

Just last night I was thinking that I like snoods and wished they were more in fashion.

Madora
July 5th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I wear a light scarf inside the house sometimes..and especially a heavy scarf in winter as my Raynaud's disease makes me cold.

I also wear a scarf outside, unless it is 65 degrees or higher.

trolleypup
July 5th, 2011, 10:03 AM
If so, what do you cover your hair with and how has that affected your hair's health in a positive or in a negative way?

If you cover your hair for other reasons, even if just occassionally, join in the discussion too!
When I am out in the sun (hiking/trailwork/etc) I pretty much always wear a hat or hair covering (Pony Scrub (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/categories/Scrub-Hats/Scrub-Hats-for-Women/Pony-Collection/)). I believe this has reduced the UV sun bleaching and damage to my hair and may have contributed to the additional length I recently noticed. And in an immediate sense, much much less mechanical damage compared to down/ponytailed/braided! Scalp doesn't seem to be bothered either way.

Islandgrrl
July 5th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I wear a tichel, sometimes a snood. And on the rare occasion I even wear a sheitl.

Sorry, that prematurely posted!

I don't think it's negatively impacted my hair in any way. I sleep with my hair covered, too.

ladyfey
July 5th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I sometimes wear a tichel, or a snood. Not for religious reasons, just for a change. I don't notice the looks I get from others. Have gotten some rude comments though!

Siiri
July 5th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I cover my hair with a scarf when I'm working in the field or hiking during summertime, just to protect my hair and scalp from the sun, bugs, trees, spider's webs, etc. I haven't noticed any negative effects, but I think my hair is in better condition and doesn't dry out or get sun bleached when I'm wearing a scarf.

ravenreed
July 5th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I occasionally wear a scarf or covering. I notice a lot of nape tangles when I do. I am not sure that the benefits of wearing one outweigh the damage from the tangles.

sibiryachka
July 5th, 2011, 11:18 AM
You might find this interesting...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=222

vanity_acefake
July 5th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I sometimes cover my hair with scarves or snoods to protect it from the weather (I live in Scotland). I have never had negative comments.
:)

pepperminttea
July 5th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I wear them sometimes if I'm having one of those days when my hair just won't cooperate and I'm in a hurry, and for physical work like decorating (no turpentine to get paint out of my hair, thank you very much). It's not for any religious reason at all, I'm an atheist, but I find them useful and wish they were more widely accepted. I've had no comments yet but certainly more than my fair share of strange looks.

I sometimes cover my hair with scarves or snoods to protect it from the weather (I live in Scotland).

I love that "I live in Scotland" doesn't require any more explanation on a weather issue. :lol::p

seaj
July 5th, 2011, 11:59 AM
There are plenty of Sikhs where I live and they pretty much always wear turbans when they leave their homes. Sometimes I feel like wearing my hair in a turban too since it seems like such a nice way to keep everything contained, plus I think they look really awesome. I know they wear turbans because they practice Kesh, but would it be offensive to them if I wore a patka or a dastar?

I also went to school with many girls who wore hijabs, and they always had huge bulges underneath at the base of their necks. I doubt their head coverings did any damage to their hair.

At home I sometimes wrap my hair in one of my mom's scarves to keep my hair out of my face, but I've yet to wear that out. It's way too hot out right now for that. I do use a bandanna when I work out though.

Magdalene
July 5th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Not full time, but I do for church.

LoversLullaby
July 5th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I cover my hair full time with either a bun cover or a snood (I'm a Christian). I haven't noticed any damage, though even if it did I'd do it anyway. In fact, covering with a satin cap at night has helped my hair be less tangled. If you're concerned about damage, you could wear a satin cap under your covering :) HTH!

lapispimpernel
July 5th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I cover for Mass (though my veil is lost right now :oops: ). I wear bandanas when caving/hiking and a hood while diving, but I don't really consider that "covering".

nellreno
July 5th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Since my new job is very active and even when my hair is up it sill gets frizzy I've been thinking about using a tichel to cover my hair. But, since a lot of the time hair coverings are seen as religious or just "weird", I am worried I'd get some negative comments. And I'm not really someone who can handle comments like that well.

Dina L.
July 5th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I think I found these videos here on LHC, but you might be interested in it: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheStyleUnderground
She makes some wonders with those scarves! :)

Tehillim408
July 5th, 2011, 02:28 PM
You might find this interesting...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=222

Thank you! Checking it out now...

Capybara
July 5th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I cover with a scarf in the summer, with large shades on. Sort of a Grace Kelly look :) Not for religious reasons, though.

QueenJoey
July 5th, 2011, 03:13 PM
There's a girl at my school who always has her hair covered, I'm guessing for religious purposes. I remember looking at her one day and thinking, "I'll bet there's some gorgeously healthy hair under that head covering."

Saranne772
July 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I wear a head covering to at meetings (church). Either a mantilla, long scalf, or beret generally. It has not caused any particular changes, although I do avoid berets in the summer and on freshly washed hair due to it causing "hat hair"

Some photos from a few years ago-

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Saranne772/2008_043026April0004.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Saranne772/2008_043026April0002.jpg

Deborah
July 6th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I have covered my hair every day (Christian) for the past 16 years. I don't think it has changed my hair much, except that it keeps it protected from wind and sun damage. It is STILL several shades darker at the top, and lighter and redder further down. I used to think that was from the sun, but I guess it's just how my hair grows, as the length is not exposed to the sun.

I wear several different types of coverings, mostly depending on my mood at a given time. I have some cap-type coverings (like the Mennonites/Amish), scarves, various triangle and tear-drop shaped coverings, etc. I stick with cotton or silk mostly, as they breathe well. I have a couple that are fairly opaque lace.

Mostly I wear the ones that are easy on and off and very comfortable. I don't like heavy coverings, or the ones that hang down the back, as those get caught on things, and tend to pull and slide back. I've tried the Jewish scarves, but they are too heavy and long for me. Regular snoods pull back and slide off, as the weight of the hair is just too much. Some of my cap type coverings are like smallish snoods, but I have to have the hair in an updo for them to work.

I purchase via the net the tiniest bendy clips I can find, then spray paint them black. These are very unobtrusive, yet they still hold the various coverings on quite well. I can never keep anything on without clips, as my hair is very fine and slippery.

Hope this is helpful.

jfeg116
July 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Just last night I was thinking that I like snoods and wished they were more in fashion.

Help bring it back! I do a method of lacemaking called 'tatting' and I've been planning on tatting myself a snood for months now, I just wish I had the time! I swear once I get it done though I'm going to wear it ALL THE TIME...I'm so excited about it and I haven't even started it yet, haha :D

Cardinal
July 6th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I wear a mantilla for church. Uncovered the rest of the time, but usually up in a bun for work.
My problems all stem from coloring it forever though, and not enough moisturizing.

proo
July 6th, 2011, 01:32 PM
When I turban and twist my hair in a silk scarf for an hour or so at home it makes it so smooth, almost like I'd flatironed it.

Pantha
July 20th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I know this is an old thread but what the heck.
I wear a headscalf to work and I tie it like a tichel, or just tie it under the bun at the back and leave it hanging over my shoulders.

The other day a girl I was working with asked me if I got hot wearing a headscalf at work.
As it happens I don't, but it did make me think that people must think that I do it for some deep seated reason. When I told my friend my reasons she seemed a little disapointed. I'm not really religious and it is not for any religious or modesty reason, in fact most of my reasons are pritty selfish and vanity bourne, here are my reasons:

1. It stopps me getting too many spots where my hardhat rests on my forehead as I wash my headscalf every week

2. It stops my ears gettign sunburn on the odd days we do get sun and stays wet for longer than my hair and so cools me when there is a breeze

3. It stops my head and ears gettign cold the other 363 days of the year (I live in England)

4. It find it helps me hold my hard hat on I think because I have something a bit squidgy between the webbing and my head

5. It stops me having to spend lots of time brushign my hair every night when I get in because my hair doesnt get so knotted

6. It prevents my hair getting dusty or muddy

7. It stops my hair getting so broken at the front and top by stopping strands getting stuck to my hardhat with mud or caught in the webbing and adjustors

8. Means I can get away with only washing my hair twice a week

9. I do not have to worry about my hair coming undone

I think they are all my main reasons, and so yes I do find it helps with my hairs health.
I also wish I had started wearing one earlier and then I would not have shorter strands along my hairline at the front and along my parting like I do now.

Has anyone else noticed these benifits or any others?

tolly
July 20th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I always use a head scarf when I am outside my home. I don't have long hair...yet! I always use a satin or rayon material, inner cap directly on hair even if my outer hijab is cotton. It keeps my hair feeling silky. My hair is in better condition than when I was using cotton scarf or exposing my hair to the elements. I live in a climate where temp ranges from 40-48 degree Celsius most of the year, and the 3-4 months of lower temp 28-32 degrees, its quite windy and dry....so My hair is faring better covered

aliceinmadness
July 20th, 2011, 07:54 PM
This is somewhat off-topic, but I really wonder why headgear in general has gone so out of style. Remember how all the magazines flipped out over whats-her-face on Gossip Girl because her character was always wearing headbands? They act like it's some kind of revelation. If you have a ****** for television bodice-rippers (like I do *blush*) such as The Tudors or The Borgias...can you say WOW to some of those fabulous tiaras, crowns, snoods, etc.? I would absolutely kill to get my hands on any one of those, and wear it regularly. It's just tragic.

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Shows/S_Z/Tq_Tz/Tudors/season4/tudors71.jpg

/end rant

Arianoor
July 20th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I was reading through this and was honestly shocked that anyone would get nasty comments about their headgear. But, then I remembered something that happened to me a few years ago. When I got my first office job, we had to wear our hair up and I was (am) completely hopeless at doing my own hair. So, I wore it in a simple bun on top of my head every day. One day I was chatting with the lead worker (who was one of those snooty, harsh, clique-ish kind of girls) and I mentioned that I was going to a wine tasting.

She exclaimed, "You're allowed to drink!?!"

"Um, yes. I'm 23 years old."

"Oh, I know that. But, don't you people have rules against drinking?"

"Uh, what people would that be?"

"You ultra religious people! You always wear your hair in that bun!"

I couldn't believe that she made that leap, bun=ultra religious. I mean, seriously, I wore slacks, heels, and trendy tops and jewelry to work everyday, so it's not like there were a lot of other signifiers!

People are so strange! And, heck, even if I was religious, what business is it of hers if I drink!?!

SheaLynne
July 20th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I wear a covering at church services or when I pray or read the Bible. I started out wearing scarves, and now that we have switched to a different congregation, I am wearing hats. I am the only one at our church who covers, though there are geographical regions within the US where it is common for women of our faith to cover. Just depends on where you are, but it is hard being the only one, so hats make it a bit easier.

I have some damage at the front of my hairline, but I don't know if it is from the covering/hats. I'm doing lots of things to try to determine if it is related to my scalp issues or perhaps that I do not have bangs for the first time, so that area is exposed more? If all else fails, I will try a silk cap under my other hat, but since I'm in a warm climate, I'd really rather not do layers!

I also wear a hat when I'm out in the sun, and I believe that helps protect the length alot.

neko_kawaii
July 20th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I inherited a collection of silk scarves from my grandmother. I haven't worn them in quite a while. Why would simply wearing a scarf imply religion, unless it is worn in a specific religious style?

Amarante
July 21st, 2011, 12:01 AM
I wish I could get away with wearing scarves more, but I'm not quite sure how exactly to incorporate them into my daily wardrobe. :/

Slightly off topic: I wear skirts most of the time because I enjoy making them, and I often get mistaken for a Pentecostal woman, despite all the makeup/jewelry I wear. I guess certain things just have strong associative properties.

Dina L.
July 21st, 2011, 12:25 AM
I couldn't believe that she made that leap, bun=ultra religious. I mean, seriously, I wore slacks, heels, and trendy tops and jewelry to work everyday, so it's not like there were a lot of other signifiers!

People are so strange! And, heck, even if I was religious, what business is it of hers if I drink!?!

Haha I looooove those preconceptions!!! I didn't met any regarding my hair, but as I'm a vegetarian, EACH AND EVERY new person I met and gets to know I don't eat meat (and is not vegie of course) needs about 2-3 weeks to get over it. And it's sooo :rant:-ing boring doing this now for more than 6 years... :brickwall

Pani
December 17th, 2015, 02:21 AM
Pam, Snoods are wonderful, and your hair is very pretty.

Pani
December 17th, 2015, 02:32 AM
Tehillim, I am Muslim and cover my hair always when outside or praying, but not while indoors as this is part of my faith. My hair has been different lengths but right now it is all down to my butt in length.

I cover my hair completely with a hijab headscarf and have many different colors. I don't think my hair is in any noticably different shape now than it was when I was a little girl and did not cover my hair. The only part of my hair that is stressed is the very front at the hairline. Just being frequently pulled back flat will do that.

It's been kind of fun growing my hair out over the last few years. It's something different in my family.

Shepherdess
December 17th, 2015, 02:44 AM
I have been wearing head covers for the past 7-8 years (in part due to my beliefs). I usually wear them when I go places, or when praying. I have always had very thick hair, so there has been no issue with the headcovers and my hair. I have noticed that certain materials/fabrics can be rougher on the hair than others (like nylon). I think 100% silk and other soft types of fabrics are the most gentle on the hair. I think one plus that wearing a headcover has done for me is keeping my scalp warm during the very cold winter months and keeping my hair from catching on things. :)

enting
December 17th, 2015, 04:53 PM
My hair grows better when I keep it covered. I wasn't allowed to wear headcoverings in school while growing up, but for the past few years I've been wearing some form of headcovering or another, especially when outside (also partially due to beliefs). Every time I went to get my hair cut while growing up, the hairdresser would cluck over the terrible state of my hair, how there's so much breakage. One year after I started covering mostly full time, I went to get my hair cut and the hairdresser could not stop telling me how healthy my hair looked! If that's not endorsement, I don't know what is (It was also the first time I had gone to a hairdresser since using vinegar rinses, so there might be something in that, too). I then experimented with less coverage, only to notice a lot more breakage showing up in my hair! So now I almost always do a full cover out of the house. It is amusing/annoying to note how people presume it is exclusively a religious choice and not a style choice.
Headcoverings are also really good for me and my hair as they help deter me from picking at my hair :(

I should cover in the house as well - it's great for protecting hair when cleaning! I did not do so today while cleaning. At some point I looked down and was horrified at the amount of dustballs clinging to my braid shudder:

I think snoods should be brought back, too! I see some ultra orthodox Jewish women wearing snoods, but they seem to all be the sort that are long and baggy, with not enough hair to fill it up at all. In my very humble personal opinion, snoods look fantastic when they just cover the hair with not much excess and are all filled out. Somehow the baggy ones make me think of the wife's scarf hanging limply in The Gift of the Magi after she cuts all her hair off.

littlestarface
December 17th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Are there any long hairs out there who cover full time (or part time!) for religious reasons?

Yep I do cover for religious reasons as I am a muslim. I wear a black chiffon scarf outside with other coverings.

It has no negative or positive, my hair is just itself. Ive never experienced any stress on my hair but I dont wear buns outside cuz theyll fall, I only wear braids and I also put a cotton head band around my hairline before my actual scarf so that it has more of a anchor and doesnt slip n slide everywhere when im out.

Shepherdess
December 17th, 2015, 06:07 PM
My hair grows better when I keep it covered. I wasn't allowed to wear headcoverings in school while growing up, but for the past few years I've been wearing some form of headcovering or another, especially when outside (also partially due to beliefs). Every time I went to get my hair cut while growing up, the hairdresser would cluck over the terrible state of my hair, how there's so much breakage. One year after I started covering mostly full time, I went to get my hair cut and the hairdresser could not stop telling me how healthy my hair looked! If that's not endorsement, I don't know what is (It was also the first time I had gone to a hairdresser since using vinegar rinses, so there might be something in that, too). I then experimented with less coverage, only to notice a lot more breakage showing up in my hair! So now I almost always do a full cover out of the house. It is amusing/annoying to note how people presume it is exclusively a religious choice and not a style choice.
Headcoverings are also really good for me and my hair as they help deter me from picking at my hair :(

I should cover in the house as well - it's great for protecting hair when cleaning! I did not do so today while cleaning. At some point I looked down and was horrified at the amount of dustballs clinging to my braid shudder:

I think snoods should be brought back, too! I see some ultra orthodox Jewish women wearing snoods, but they seem to all be the sort that are long and baggy, with not enough hair to fill it up at all. In my very humble personal opinion, snoods look fantastic when they just cover the hair with not much excess and are all filled out. Somehow the baggy ones make me think of the wife's scarf hanging limply in The Gift of the Magi after she cuts all her hair off.

I also have had similar experiences. I think it really can help to protect. Oh, and I need to get a snood. I love how those look. Sometimes I wear hats, but those don't always provide so much protection for the hair. :)

SparKellis775
December 19th, 2015, 07:19 PM
I usually wear my hair in a purple Rasta-style tam hat when I'm out in public. I have (mild) spastic cerebral palsy on my left side— which makes it difficult to do updos by myself, so I just wear my tam hat most of the time—other times I wear it in a braid.

As far as the health of my hair is concerned, I haven't really noticed a lot of damage. Rasta hats are pretty comfortable to sleep in, too; I just don't do it often because my hair gets a little tangled with it on.