PDA

View Full Version : losing more hair by caring for it?

Prelude
July 4th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I've browsed the forums but haven't found information on it so please feel free to redirect me. As the the past two weeks, I have been wearing my waist length hair up 75% of the time, brushing it less because there was no tangles and shifted to washing it every other day to twice a week. When I run my fingers through my hair I find so much that has fallen out-would this be all the hair that normally would have fallen to the floor from having my hair down or have been brushed or washed out? It seems like there is a lot more than what there usually is. I'm getting worried about it but overall, my hair seems to be doing so much better.

McFearless
July 4th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I usually say look at what is still on your head and not the shower drain. If your hair is thinning there is something to worry about. If your pony circumference is the same don't worry. You are paying more attention to your hair since joining the forums so you are more likely to notice every shed hair. Updos also trap shed hairs until they're undone or maybe even until you wash. That is why you are seeing so many all at once. Stetching washes means less manipulation which means slightly less shedding. You're doing all the right things. :)

tiny_teesha
July 4th, 2011, 07:09 PM
It may well be that the shedded hair is sitting in your up dos and since yoiu brush it less when you do all that 2 days worth hair is falling out, that's why it seems like a lot.
Or it may be like me, oil on my scalp causes my hair to shed, so i need to wash it at least every second day. It may also be that the lack of brushing isn't stimulating your hair follicles as much. Maybe you should do a scalp massage?

spidermom
July 4th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I agree with the others.

Madora
July 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Hair loss depends on the individual. 80 shed hairs a day is normal.

Brushing every day helps get rid of those fallen hairs and keeps your scalp in tip top condition.

If you do not brush every day, then there's a good chance that some of the fallen out hairs get trapped in with the others..and you notice more "fall" out when you DO brush.

MonaLisa
July 5th, 2011, 01:21 AM
I am thinking it's because you brush it less so hairs that would come out every time you brush now come out all together that one time you brush it.
Sometimes i put my hair up and don't even brush it or mess with it for 2-3 days, and then i am not surprised if few more hairs come out when i wash it..
Sounds logical!

And of course - Perhaps you are now paying more attention to it :)

Lianna
July 5th, 2011, 02:56 AM
would this be all the hair that normally would have fallen to the floor from having my hair down or have been brushed or washed out?

Most probably.

pepperminttea
July 5th, 2011, 04:17 AM
would this be all the hair that normally would have fallen to the floor from having my hair down or have been brushed or washed out?

Almost certainly. If you just looked at my hairbrush, you'd think my hair was thinning, it has quite a tangle of sheds caught up on it - but since I wear my hair up most of the time, that is all my shed hairs, not forgetting that their length makes them look more substantial when they're tangled up. If you notice your ponytail circumference thinning, then keep an eye on it, but might just be you paying more attention to your hair, and probably isn't anything to worry about. :)

Alaia
July 5th, 2011, 06:42 AM
I agree with everyone else. You'd be surprised how much hair you actually lose on a day-to-day basis.

And the longer it gets, the more hair it looks like you are losing. I have a wookie in my hairbrush whenever I brush my hair :tongue:

Madora
July 5th, 2011, 08:58 AM
@ Alaia...a Wookie in my hairbrush! Oh, I LOVE the imagery!!! Thanks for the giggle!!

Anje
July 5th, 2011, 10:20 AM
When I run my fingers through my hair I find so much that has fallen out-would this be all the hair that normally would have fallen to the floor from having my hair down or have been brushed or washed out?
Like everyone else, I'd say most likely.

If you've started washing with something else, or started doing something different with your scalp, it's possible that you could have increased shedding from that. But unless your updo is giving you a facelift, I don't think anything you're currently doing would encourage your hair to actually shed more. (In other news, it's good to get a sense on the baseline before you use something different to wash with, since hair shed all at once definitely looks different from the fallout spread through a number of days, until you're used to it.)