PDA

View Full Version : Wash Less, Grow Less?

AshNight1214
July 4th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hi. So, I'm in a bit of a huff at the moment. I've gotten down to washing about every third day in the past month, but my hair has gone from growing 1 inch per month to 1/2 inch per month! :mad:

I use mix of shampoo and sugar for my CWC (something I've been doing for about three months now). Would the less frequent exfoliation have anything to do with my stunted growth? :confused:

Eire
July 4th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I wash every day and my hair seems to grow really fast... I don't know if washing hair often makes it grow fast, or fast-growing hair needs to be washed more often. Or maybe there's no relationship between the two.

It could also have to do with the more frequent scalp massages associated with more frequent washing. More stimulation -> more blood flow -> more nutrients to follicles.

Copasetic
July 4th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I don't know if how often you wash your hair affects your growth rate, but the rate you are growing now is totally normal. You went from incredibly fast, to average, which isn't anything to worry about.

*Rose Red*
July 4th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I think it has nothing to do with shampoo, but maybe with the scalp massage during the hair wash? like Eire wrote: hair wash -> scalp massage -> more blood flow -> more growth
but I´m not sure :)

jojo
July 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I don't think the frequency of washing has any affect on how quick your hair grows; its down to genes. Sure washing stimulates the scalp but it also weakens the hair shaft.

I have some months where I get an inch and other months where I get only 1/4" but on a yearly basis I still get the average 6".

spidermom
July 4th, 2011, 01:54 PM
In my experience, growth rate is not steady. I've grown 1-1/4 inch in 3 weeks and less than 1/4 inch in a month without changing a thing. It averages out to 0.67 inch per month. So I think this is what you're seeing -- your growth rate is not the same every month.

Alaia
July 4th, 2011, 02:40 PM
From BSL to waist I grew 1 inch per month, then for no reason I slowed to 1/4 inch per month for about three months, then speeded up to a 1/2 inch per month which is where my hair has remained.

1 inch a month is a really fast growth rate, 1/2 inch is more like the average.

Don't worry about it. And washing less is not going to have anything to do with it.

nucleardelusion
July 4th, 2011, 02:43 PM
My growth rate is crazy different each month. Don't worry!

torrilin
July 4th, 2011, 08:54 PM
How did you come up with your growth rate? Mine can hit 1" or more a month, but... like Spidermom, that's awfully fast. If I work out the average over a year or so, the rate is more like 0.75" per month. Since I have months that are an inch or more, that means some months will be 0.5" or 0.25" or even just plain 0. It's not worth fussing over the random slow months.

I'd only start worrying about hitting terminal if I had more than 12 months in a row with no increase in length or increase in thickness down my braid.

Cardinal
July 4th, 2011, 09:01 PM
The only good thing about coloring your hair red and having white roots...you know EXACTLY how fast and how much your hair grows.

McFearless
July 4th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Some people have to keep their scalps extremely clean and free of any oil in order for their hair to grow fast. Some people, like me, need to oil their scalps often to increase growth. We are all different.

AshNight1214
July 4th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I didn't think it had any connection, but I was sad. I'm SO looking forward to classic and I just hit BCL... I was having a hair freak thinking I had hit terminal! And no one in my family keeps their hair long, so I have no idea about genetic terminal. I guess it's just that it was growing so fast for so long, average seems... slow. XD

clairenewcastle
July 4th, 2011, 09:45 PM
For me it's a case of Wash Less - Grow More.........
My hair loves stretching washes.

Madora
July 4th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Ditch the sugar! Please!