PDA

View Full Version : REALLY dry after CO washes...

Friesiangirl
July 4th, 2011, 10:25 AM
i know I've put my hair through everything terrible lately, but if I could at least ease this problem, things would be much easier.

No matter which conditioner I use, the day after I CO, my hair is dry and brittle. I heavily oil my hair with coconut oil and it seems fine for the rest of the week, but it takes a day or two of heavy oil soaking to get manageable again.

Any ideas?

jujube
July 4th, 2011, 10:26 AM
1. When's the last time you clarified?
2. Do you use protein conditioners?

Lippytoes
July 4th, 2011, 10:43 AM
1. When's the last time you clarified?
2. Do you use protein conditioners?

Chiming in with jujube!

Sundial
July 4th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Could it be that your problem doesn't lie with the conditioners you use but the coconut oil?

The first few times that I used coconut oil, my hair felt extremely soft to the touch but is subsequently left dry and brittle. No matter how often I use coconut oil, it always starts out soft but ends up crunchy.

I suggest clarifying your hair first and sticking with just CO from there, then observe your hair during this period. If you didn't experience dryness, then it's probably the coconut oil or that your hair just needed clarifying.

Zhennni(:
July 4th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Me too!! co washing left my hair extremely dry....:o any one know whyy?? i use the Vo5 conditioners :o

Friesiangirl
July 4th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I clarify once a week with a suave shampoo.

If I just don't CO, I keep soft but mildly dirty hair.

An nope, I don't use a protein rich conditioner. Well, on occasion, but there is no noticeable difference.

LunaMoon
July 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Are you doing heavy oiling on dry (not wet) hair? This is keeping the moisture of the CO out.
There is no reason to moisturing CO give this results. Maybe you are using some protein CO?
I have been reading lots of people saying the same about CO: Their hair gets dry after 1 day. All of them are using coconut oil to often I think.
If you want to moisture your hair, use some deep moisturizing product, because oil is not very useful for moisturizing. Oil can seal the moisture you put in your hair, but can't give moisture.
I love coconut oil, but I don't use it every week or my hair gets dry as well. Also, you have to use a CO with no protein at all. Protein is something you just use when you hair need it. Light protein CO can cause it as well.

Friesiangirl
July 4th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I always coconut oil damp hair. Honestly, I might just be fighting bleach damage. Yuck

Amber_Maiden
July 4th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Try using a CO without protein... Up until 2 weeks ago I was having the same problem as you- but now, my hairs amazing. Stick to Moisturizing CO:)

LunaMoon
July 4th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I always coconut oil damp hair. Honestly, I might just be fighting bleach damage. Yuck

Indeed, if you are not using coconut oil in dry hair it is very possible it is some protein buid up. Don't forget that coconut oil keeps all the protein in your hair, so my advice is trying a cheap, simple only moisturizing CO. Keep the protein ones you have for later.
I never waste CO. If is not working now, can be useful later.

Friesiangirl
July 4th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I usually use Suave strawberry, which is low on protein, and I still have this problem. Every couple of weeks I use a more protein-filled condish like Organix protein coconut whatever haha.

Hayley

McFearless
July 4th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Could you be leaving the conditioner on for too long? It removes oil better than anything, so maybe it is removing too much oil? Maybe you need to ditch the coconut oil for something else? It doesn't work for everyone.

Clarifying every week seems a bit too much in my opinion.

RitaCeleste
July 4th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Try olive oil instead of the coconut oil and see if that helps. You could also oil it heavily a few hours before you CO. I had been using coconut but then tried the olive oil and it did different things for my hair. It would probably help to oil it lightly while its damp rather than let it dry and see how dry it gets.

missmagoo
July 4th, 2011, 11:01 PM
The suave clarifying shampoo has 'cones, so it might be that you actually have some 'cone buildup on you hair.
Otherwise I'd back off on the coconut oil, about weekly is all my hair can handle or else it gets funky. I've started using Weleda rosemary hair oil on damp hair after a wash and I am really liking the results.

Mesmerise
July 5th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Do you actually condition after doing your CO wash? Some people do a CO wash with a really light conditioner, and then slather a heavier conditioner over the lengths and then rinse that out.

Dragon
July 5th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Maybe try with other oils and experiment with leaving the conditioner for different amount of times.

Friesiangirl
July 5th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Hmm, well I am going to try EVOO, and perhaps moving towards WO. I simply rinsed my hair with water and it's feeling a lot better.

I'll keep you all updated =)

Hayley