PDA

View Full Version : Swimming for the first time since Henna

Asequui
July 4th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Hey there. As some know from a previous thread I've recently taken the plunge and become a henna head (lovin it!). A friend of mine invited me to go to a family get together tomorrow that's going to involve swimming. I haven't been in a pool since I hennaed my hair, or really, since I actually started caring for my hair.

As far as I know the pool is going to be a saltwater pool but I'm not entirely sure. It could possibly be chlorinated/treated.

Either way, I'm worried about it turning my hair a strange color or wrecking the condition. I feel like I've just now started to bring life back to the frizzy mess that was my hair after bleaching it into oblivion (I know! Bad!) and I don't want to throw that all away just to go swimming, even if I love it.

Any advice? :confused:

snakewitch
July 4th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Not sure about the color, my hair dye washed out quick after hennaing, I waited a few days before I washed, too. I actually avoided swimming for a while cause of it(something I do multiple times a week most of the time...).

But the condition shouldn't get worse, at least it didn't get for me. Everyone's hair is different, but I don't think your hair would get damaged from it. I swim in chlorinated water, btw. My hair's healthy, I think... at least far healthier than it was before I started taking care of it.

Especially if you won't be swimming as much as I do, it can't take a big impact. I swim a whole lot, I bet my hair would be a little better off without it, but my hair still seems okay.

Again, no two people have the same hair... if you really don't wanna swim and you're really unsure about what it'd do to your hair, don't do it! Better to be safe than sorry.

SpeakingEZ
July 4th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Ha, I had the exact same concern when I first started to henna. I'm sure my old thread is around here somewhere. . . .

SpeakingEZ
July 4th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Here it is! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=48985&highlight=henna+pool+chemicals

Asequui
July 4th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Snakewitch and SpeakingEZ, thanks so much for the advice. And, SpeakingEZ, for the link to your thread.

So, the plan here is to take a really nice conditioner and a regular one w/ me. I'll wet my hair down before I think about jumping in the pool. Then when I get out CO w/ regular condish and follow up w/ really good one. I'm thinking I'm gonna take my Aussie moist and toadstool condish w/ me...

Thanks all! Have a happy 4th!