PDA

View Full Version : Chelating Saved My Hair!! (really chelating. Not what I *thought* was chelating.))

sweet&sourkiwi
July 3rd, 2011, 10:36 PM
As those of you who have been helping me know, I've been having a full on hair disaster for over a year now! Dry, breaking, fuzzing, shedding...I'd lost half my hair and tried EVERYTHING (well, almost—honey, SMTs, changing brands, cones, no cones, SLS, sulfate-free, all natural, stretching washes, frequent washes, microfibre towel, boar bristle brush, tangle teezer, no heat, protein pack, moisture pack, Joico Chelating, movie star method, S+D, citric rinse, air drying, no styling products and AAUUUUUGH probably more, but nothing helped...until...)

I got a haircut in Idaho (not my usual mode) and the hairdresser looked at my hair and said, "The hard water is suffocating your hair. Try Malibu."

I kind of rolled my eyes because I had the shower filter AND had tried Joico Chelating with only ever a day of success. And I'd tried citric rinses and club soda, things that help minerals not stick to hair. But she said the Joico wasn't a "true" chelator (and maybe that's true, I couldn't find a chelating ingredient in there anywhere) and that the filter was nice, but the minerals were still in there and would have to be removed first.

So, two plus weeks ago I did my first Malibu Making Water Well treatment pack and S+C...and the change was pretty good. I didn't want to get prematurely excited though, in case it was just a cheap ingredient in there making my hair look better than usual...something that would wear off..; so I've been alternating my regular S+C with the Malibu S+C...and there is definitely a difference. I'm having good hair days again. My hair is not breaking as much. It feels good to run my fingers through it, nothing breaks, it just feels silky and nice. It looks good down.

And when I went for an S+D the other day...I couldn't find ONE split end. Keep in mind this stuff has mild cones way towards the bottom of the ingredient list...and I had used my sulfates+no cones that day. That's unheard of...usually I can find splits 10 minutes after a good S+D or trim.

In short, it's kind of a miracle.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about it. It's a gamechanger, for sure. I'm wondering now if all the things I tried before that didn't work will behave differently on my no-longer-suffocating hair? It'll be weird to go back to everything I'd sworn didn't work...but it will also help me use up the massive stash of stuff I've accumulated.

I don't work for them or anything...I just thought, maybe someone else who's gone through the ringer could benefit from one last suggestion. I'm just sad I didn't figure it out sooner...I'm missing a LOT of hair, both in volume, because it broke off, and in length, because I kept trimming. But, now I have a chance to grow it back...and in the meantime, I've learned a lot about taking good care of my hair, which I wouldn't if things hadn't gone south on me.

So, now y'all know!

krissykins
July 3rd, 2011, 11:12 PM
See? This is exactly why we shouldn't go around proclaiming hairdressers don't know anything about hair. I'm so glad to hear you found something that works so well for your hair! :D