PDA

View Full Version : Henna Advice?

Kdc0180
July 3rd, 2011, 10:34 PM
I'm taking the plunge and coloring my hair with henna next weekend but I have no idea where to buy it or what color to use. My hair inspiration is Astrid Berges Frisbey's color

http://www.bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/astrid-berges-frisbey4.gif

http://www.sassisamblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Pirates_Mermaids_Astrid-Berges-Frisbey_01.jpg

Probably a mix between dark brown and an auburn color. Has anyone gone that color before with henna?

And did anyone have any hair loss with henna?
Thanks guys! :D

Tea Lady
July 3rd, 2011, 11:13 PM
Logona Chestnut may do it. Or Mahogany, although that may be too bright. The thing is though, a lot depends on what your natural hair color is. I get shades like that on my own medium brown hair, but someone blond or light brown would get a different shade.

What I did when I first wanted to henna was to do a strand test. I collected hairs from my hairbrush until I had two poofs of hair. Then I mixed up a tiny bit of henna from each of the two colors I thought would give me the color I was looking for. I ended up using Mahogany ever after, except the one time I used the Chestnut (I had purchased it after all, didn't want it to go to waste!).

I never had hair loss from henna. There is always a fair amount of shedding during the washing out and detangling right after, only because there was lots and lots of rinsing required to get it out. I also use a wide toothed comb to help get the henna glop out while rinsing which may increase the shedding. But I find my hair is always very nicely conditioned after a henna treatment. And it's funny you ask, because I am sitting here online waiting until I can rinse this batch of henna out that I put on this evening!

Tea Lady

Kdc0180
July 3rd, 2011, 11:17 PM
haha that's great advice thanks!
How often do you use henna to keep up with the color?

Tea Lady
July 3rd, 2011, 11:24 PM
Ideally it would be every two months, but sometimes I let time get away from me and it's three. But three is really too long for my taste, because I have some grey. Also you can see a slight difference in the root color. It's not awful, but of course it looks so much better when the color is uniform. I think you can do it more frequently than that as well, but I would check (either do a search here at LHC on the henna forum, or Google it), just to be sure.

By the way, if you have recently used chemical coloring my understanding is you need to wait a couple of months before using henna, and definitely do a strand test. Sometimes chemical coloring and henna together can make green! That's another reason I did a strand test when I started. I had been getting my hair colored at the salon previously. I actually waited three months, then did the strand test, then I felt it was safe to go ahead (and it was).

Tea Lady

Mesmerise
July 4th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Ideally it would be every two months, but sometimes I let time get away from me and it's three. But three is really too long for my taste, because I have some grey. Also you can see a slight difference in the root color. It's not awful, but of course it looks so much better when the color is uniform. I think you can do it more frequently than that as well, but I would check (either do a search here at LHC on the henna forum, or Google it), just to be sure.

By the way, if you have recently used chemical coloring my understanding is you need to wait a couple of months before using henna, and definitely do a strand test. Sometimes chemical coloring and henna together can make green! That's another reason I did a strand test when I started. I had been getting my hair colored at the salon previously. I actually waited three months, then did the strand test, then I felt it was safe to go ahead (and it was).

Tea Lady

Pure henna on hair won't make hair green if done over chemical colouring. It only has the potential to go green (or have some other problem) if it's a compound henna with metallic salts or other stuff added.

If it's henna or henna/cassia henna/indigo it should be okay (although sometimes indigo can be problematic with greenishness... at least this is something I've heard).

Generally I henna monthly... I don't like going too long because of my regrowth which has a bunch of greys.