PDA

View Full Version : Filtered Water= Beautiful Hair!!!

inspiral
July 3rd, 2011, 06:01 PM
Several years ago, before finding this forum, I told a friend who has super long beautiful black hair that i was growing my hair out. She told me that if I really wanted long hair, there were some things I needed to know. And then we both forgot, and, thankfully, she didn't tell me what it was. Thankfully because after hearing that, I was intrigued. What are these longhair secrets that i dont know about??? I had to find out. We weren't close friends and i didnt see her very often, so I did some research online and now here I am, four years later with extremely healthy hip length hair. I learned a plethora of secrets and have usedthem to take wonderful care of my hair. But I alwayswondered what her secrets were... Just recently, I saw my friend again, and asked her, after years of wondering, what her long hair secrets were. The first one was something I'm familiar with, which is getting regualr trims to keep your ends healthy. But the secondone i hadnever really tried before. She said that she always uses filtered water as a final rinse. Makes sense to nothave all those chemicals in tap water in your hair! I just moved into a new house that has a shower filter, and I'm usingonly the filtered water, even when i take a bath. And the difference has been astronomical!!!! my roomate has curly hair too, and i startednoticing that her hair suddenly was looking REALLY beautiful all the time, like every day was a fantastic hair day.and she started tellingme thatmy hair was looking soo good all the time too. and then we realized what it was, that our hair started looking fabulous after we moved and started using filtered water exclusively. Give it a try!! :)

whitestiletto
July 3rd, 2011, 07:20 PM
Would a shower head with a filter have the same effect? I was thinking of getting a new showerhead anyway.

feralnature
July 3rd, 2011, 07:22 PM
We have a shallow water well that is basically spring water (according to those who claim to know such things). Anyway, it is cold and clear and of course has no chlorine or floride or whatever. My hair loves it. When I go to the city to visit family, I can barely stand the shower (or drinking the water) because of the chemical fumes in the water.

Pirate Cat
July 3rd, 2011, 09:43 PM
We have very hard water. There's a filter on the kitchen faucet for drinking and I've considered using it for hair but not sure how, besides washing my hair in the kitchen sink. Would it work just as a final rinse or would I need filtered for the whole thing?

gogirlanime
July 3rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
I did this for about a week about a month ago, but lost interest in it. I take the bus so it is a pain carrying around these big jugs of water and having to go to a store every 3 days just to get it for my hair. Perhaps I will start up again if you say the results are that amazing.

sarahbrownie
July 3rd, 2011, 11:26 PM
I did this for about a week about a month ago, but lost interest in it. I take the bus so it is a pain carrying around these big jugs of water and having to go to a store every 3 days just to get it for my hair. Perhaps I will start up again if you say the results are that amazing.

I live in New York where the water is very hard. I know a lot of neighbors that collect rainwater in large garbage containers, it's basically same as filtered water.

oktobergoud
July 3rd, 2011, 11:35 PM

You can get a waterfilter for tapwater as well, like the WaterBobble or Brita waterfilters. I'm thinking of buying one, as we have hard water here and I drink water all the time! It's supposed to taste better that way.. might also use it as a rinse for my hair :P

tabby28
July 4th, 2011, 02:49 AM
We live in a hard water area and I have been considering doing this for a while now. I think I will give it a go!

RebeccaG
July 4th, 2011, 03:33 AM
I live in an area with very soft water so would getting a filter make any difference?

Annibelle
July 4th, 2011, 09:30 AM
This thread really got me thinking... I lived in the country with well water when I was growing up, and my virgin hair was amazing. It was much darker and EXTREMELY shiny. Now, my hair is virgin once again, and it is flyaway, lighter, and much duller. It's also a lot thinner, but I attribute that to dying my hair as a teen. But maybe the other issues have to do with moving to the city a couple of years ago. I'm going to look into getting a shower filter... please keep us updated. I'm being a baby and literally crying over the lost quality of my hair! I showed DH these photos and he said, "Wow, your hair was beautiful!" without really thinking. My hair is okay now, but it was ravishing before... I wonder if my hair has just changed with age... I hope not... I want that hair back now! :(

kitcatsmeow
July 4th, 2011, 05:24 PM
THANK YOU, thank you, thank you to the OP! I have air purifiers, and a filtered water pitcher and noticed a difference when I started using them but it never "clicked" to purify my shower water. So I just bought a shower head with a built in filter and washed my hair today. AMAZING. I also did a clarifying shampoo but my hair feels cleaner, lighter, smoother and softer already.

As someone else said I too had well water growing up and my hair grew like a weed so I'm really hoping this makes a big difference!

Annibelle
July 4th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Omigosh, I just bought my new shower head today, too. ;) I'm about to hop in the shower to use it now! I'm really happy you saw immediate results-- I hope I do, too! And it hadn't occurred to me that this might not only improve the quality of my hair, but its rate of growth... I did grow hair very fast back when I used well water, but it could have been because I was 7+ years younger...

I'm also doing an ACV rinse today for the first time... I should probably do only one new thing for this shower, but I'm so excited about both that I'll do both... *is naughty* :D

gthlvrmx
July 4th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Omigosh, I just bought my new shower head today, too. ;) I'm about to hop in the shower to use it now! I'm really happy you saw immediate results-- I hope I do, too! And it hadn't occurred to me that this might not only improve the quality of my hair, but its rate of growth... I did grow hair very fast back when I used well water, but it could have been because I was 7+ years younger...

I'm also doing an ACV rinse today for the first time... I should probably do only one new thing for this shower, but I'm so excited about both that I'll do both... *is naughty* :D
Have fun, do let us know how it goes! My mom and i are READY to buy a filter!
Our water in Pomona is white, leaves so much stains everywhere and the build-up is really bad. I've seen the difference in water, here, Pasadena (only 30-40 miles away), rain, and distilled water. So far, our water sucks, rain water is great for curls, distilled water is super smooth and feels CLEAN (looks clear too), and Pasadena water does not have that heavy gritty feeling in it. Pour water in a cup and it's clear, not white. I read about air bubbles and all that stuff on why it is white, but once you've seen and used good water that doesn't leave a rim on everything it touches (even your body), you're going to only want the good stuff.

whitestiletto
July 4th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Kitcatsmeow and Annibelle, what kind of filters did you buy? Like do you have an amazon link or where you got them?

Annibelle
July 4th, 2011, 08:57 PM
gthlvrmx, I think my water quality was already pretty good... maybe that's why I got the following results...

My hair is exactly the same as any other time I CO. ._. It might be a TINY bit straighter than it has been lately (my hair has been getting wavier with CO), but there's really not much of a difference in flyaways and lightness. (I hate how fluffy my hair is if I don't constantly comb it... I'd like sleeker hair.) BUT maybe I've got mineral/chlorine/fluorine buildup from BEFORE I got the filter. I think I'll clarify next wash and THEN see what my results are. I'll let you know how it goes!

whitestiletto, I bought mine from Walmart. It's a Dupont... here's a link to the Dupont site: http://www2.dupont.com/Water_Filtration/en_US/products/shower_water_filters_prod_page.html It was only $20 (including first filter) vs. the only other one Walmart had (but they didn't sell the filters for the other one they had... I don't know which brand it was) for $34.

HeatherJenae
July 4th, 2011, 09:39 PM
This whole thread is interesting because I used to watch that reality show with the famous hairstylist Jonathon something, his sister is the creator of the *****cat Dolls, and his power went out and he had to rinse his hair out with bottled water one morning and he said it gave him the most amazing hair day he had in a long time. Then he started trying to get his company to produce a filter for shower heads but they thought he was crazy. Go figure. :)

tabby28
July 5th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Well for me its confirmed! I tried it yesterday and noticed serious improvement, hair is softer, shinier, and less tangly! Amazing. I used bottled mineral water because I dont have a filter yet, but I am going to buy a shower filter now. I live in a really hard water area and the limscale build up on my sink/kettle is astonishing. It can appear within two days of cleaning, so I have no doubt it is getting on my hair. Really pleased! :D

pelicano
July 5th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Well for me its confirmed! I tried it yesterday and noticed serious improvement, hair is softer, shinier, and less tangly! Amazing. I used bottled mineral water because I dont have a filter yet, but I am going to buy a shower filter now. I live in a really hard water area and the limscale build up on my sink/kettle is astonishing. It can appear within two days of cleaning, so I have no doubt it is getting on my hair. Really pleased! :D

Watch out for the shower filters - they really don't do much if anything for hard water. They are great for removing chlorine though. :)

tabby28
July 5th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Watch out for the shower filters - they really don't do much if anything for hard water. They are great for removing chlorine though. :)

Really? Oh blow. Thought I was on to a good thing there. So do I have to keep using bottled water? Or do you think I could use a Britta water filter type thing and just filter my own tap water for my hair and face?

kitcatsmeow
July 5th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Kitcatsmeow and Annibelle, what kind of filters did you buy? Like do you have an amazon link or where you got them?

I got a Sprite and it's from Lowes. About $25. Yes it removes mainly Chlorine and that's really my biggest problem with the city water I use. Yuck, sometimes I can smel the chlorine!

pelicano
July 5th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Really? Oh blow. Thought I was on to a good thing there. So do I have to keep using bottled water? Or do you think I could use a Britta water filter type thing and just filter my own tap water for my hair and face?

Try a Brita water filter for your final rinse. Supermarket's own bottled water is really cheap though - I sometimes buy that. The water is classed as 'very hard' where I live (in Essex), and I find a Brita water filter only really stays good for a week, despite supposedly lasting for four!

kitcatsmeow
July 5th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Ok so after thinking about it....I'm not sure if I have hard water (I'm prob becoming obsessive! lol) but I'm going to pick up a water test kit to test the water coming out of my filters and if it's hard water, I'll know I need to suck it up and get a better filter. Fingers crossed it was just a chlorine problem since better filter=more money!