PDA

View Full Version : haircut disaster, hairdresser obsessed with feathered layers everywhere

jayyeuk
July 3rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
I had my hair cut 5 days ago. Ive always had long hair, and now Im getting older (late 30s) Ive decided that my hair suits me a bit better at just below shoulder length. So I went for a trim, I have straight hair, fine but lots of it so it looks thick, and it can do the triangle thing if Im not careful. I like a few layers but I hate that featherd layers look.

So anyway I now have the worst cut ever! The sides are about 4 inches shorter than the back which I hate, I like 1 length all around the bottom. The botom 6-7 inches of my hair look like a rug made of feathers. There cannot be 2 hairs the same length it is so bad, just feathery fluffy shagginess everywhere. When she cut my layers she then chopped randomly upwards into them all. It is so bad. I want o put a photo on here but I cant bring myself to do it yet.

I dont like my hair tied up but now I just have to, I cannot bear to see it down. I have tried to straighten and smooth it but my hair just wants to all flick out like a frizzy feathered mess.

So I have to grow it out, but I dont know whether to just keep growing, or try to get some of the nasty feathered layers cut out. Or keep getting the longer bottom bit trimmed until it gets more one length. Its gonna take soooo long!

I asked a different hairdresser once to blunt cut my layers, she said she couldnt as they would lie flat. Well I think thats what I need. I want thinned out hair, but not bitty and fluffy feathers. Any suggestions? Sympathy welcome :(

vanity_acefake
July 3rd, 2011, 04:46 PM
:grouphug:
I have no advice, sorry, but lots of sympathy.

CareBear
July 3rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
How about a self trim? There's a super how to in the articles section. Did the hairdresser use a razor? You might want to trim if they did at any rate. That could be why the ends are wacked. :(
:grouphug:

whitestiletto
July 3rd, 2011, 04:52 PM
You're not alone *hug*
I know exactly how you feel.. guess how I found LHC.. same situation.
I would recommend holding off on trimming anything, even the back, for about a month. It will give the new shape time to settle. In the meantime make sure you condition the heck out of it, use leave-in conditioner, and start doing oil treatments (you can read articles about them in the New section here), and avoid any heat-treatments. All these things will help the layers lay flat. As in, I know you want to straighten it, but don't, it will cause breakage and make the grow-out process even longer. Mine are starting to calm down after 4 months and I don't hate it anymore.

Time heals all wounds, especially crap hair cuts.

Though I'd like to break a few knees...

Anyone else recovering from a terrible haircut?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72964

Growing out layers support
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35384

Growing out layers, a place to complain
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47351

jayyeuk
July 3rd, 2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the replies.

No it wasnt razored, Ive had it razored once before and didnt like it, but this looks far worse. Ive already had a go at trying to straighten out the layers but I wasnt sure how to cut layers really, and I cant go any shorter yet with the layers, some are just bottom of ear length. But I am tempted to have a go myself in the future.

I was thinking of leaving it if i can for another 3 weeks and then cut it before my holiday. Im counting the days! :rolleyes::(

jayyeuk
July 3rd, 2011, 05:04 PM
thanks for the links I shall have a read

spidermom
July 3rd, 2011, 06:42 PM
That's really crappy, but time heals all bad haircut wounds. If it were me, I'd trim only the bottom a little bit every month or two.

Alvrodul
July 3rd, 2011, 06:55 PM
That sucks. :grouphug: Stylists - you gotta watch them like a cat at a mousehole! :whip:

feralnature
July 3rd, 2011, 07:18 PM
So sorry that happened to you :(

I would not trim on it and let the cut settle in like another poster said. Also, rather than fighting the layers, try some "Bedhead" or a similar product and go for the messy on purpose look. That way the feathering will clump together a little bit and look more piecey. :)

spidermom
July 3rd, 2011, 07:23 PM
So sorry that happened to you :(

I would not trim on it and let the cut settle in like another poster said. Also, rather than fighting the layers, try some "Bedhead" or a similar product and go for the messy on purpose look. That way the feathering will clump together a little bit and look more piecey. :)

good advice

LyraS
July 4th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Aw, i'm so sorry that happened to you. I would be in tears if that happened to me or so angry to just chop it all off.
But i think you should take the advice offered earlier. Let it grow out a bit and then you can trim from there. A good hairdresser is almost impossible to find these days.
Good luck.

Alaia
July 4th, 2011, 09:32 AM
You've had some good advice already, and I would just add that you should probably maintain at that length and cut the layers out as it grows as it really seems to be bothering you.

Darkhorse1
July 4th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I'm so sorry this happened. Many hair dressers feel that layering thick hair is a good thing. I wish everyone had a hair dresser that listened.

I'd wait until it starts to grow out a bit, then start to even up the hair by removing layers. You can see if you can get ideas for hair styles whilst the layers are growing out. This site has amazing variations on styles that are fun to play with.

aroseisarose
July 5th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I am so sorry about your hair cut. I had my hair cut on 6/16 and pretty much have the same complaint going on. I started a thread about it, too. I had long, all one length hair and was bored with it. :( I told my husband to remind me constantly if I say I'm bored and want long layers or a new haircut. I almost always regret it. I told my hairdresser that I didn't like layers unless they were very long and sparse. I can't believe I walked out of the salon with heavily layered hair from below the ears down.

It's a puffy, spiky mess and doesn't seem to be anything at all like the pics I showed to her. :( sob. I am so close to chopping off the longest part of my hair as it looks straggly now and just sorta hangs there. I have a distinct 'level' of layers about at my chin that don't blend in nicely, they look like a shelf or indentation. Can you tell I am unhappy?

I am taking a B vitamin, Multi-vitamin with iron and a Biotin tablet everyday to encourage hair growth. For now I will baby it, condition alot and wear it up. Perhaps by fall it will look somewhat better. I hope! I have read a few threads about hating layers and a couple posters said it took a few weeks for their layers to 'settle down'. I sure hope mine do after they've grown a bit. So frustrated.

I am making a commitment to not get a haircut for 6 months now. And even then it shall just be a dusting of the ends, I hope. (Unless, of course, the shaggy long straggly long hair layer drives me to the edge and I HAVE to cut it). I'm so glad I found this site. I have much to learn, but it's so comforting to know that there are other older (I'm 48) women that love their long hair. I look so much better with long hair. And I also LOVE that some of you are going naturally grey. I have very dark hair and am just now getting some noticeable greys at my temples and hairline. Sometimes I like them because they are so shiny, lol. I might just stop dying my hair and cutting my hair all at once!

UltraBella
July 5th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Sorry you are unhappy with your results :(
Layers are my thing, so if you can post a pic I may have some suggestions for you when it comes to making it look better. Sometimes it's best to trim, other times it's best to leave it alone....

Mesmerise
July 6th, 2011, 02:08 AM
I am so sorry about your hair cut. I had my hair cut on 6/16 and pretty much have the same complaint going on. I started a thread about it, too. I had long, all one length hair and was bored with it. :( I told my husband to remind me constantly if I say I'm bored and want long layers or a new haircut. I almost always regret it. I told my hairdresser that I didn't like layers unless they were very long and sparse. I can't believe I walked out of the salon with heavily layered hair from below the ears down.

This is TOTALLY what happened to me a few years ago! I ended up with one thick layer at chin length, and then thinner layers lower down...my bottom layer was pitiful and I ended up chopping it some weeks later...

I asked for "long layers" and showed on my hair how I wanted them (only a couple of inches shorter than my length and not too thick). Hmm not sure how CHIN length is considered long... but apparently it is!!

It can be really hard to get long layers sometimes!!

I remember taking my sister in for a shaggy bob back in the 80s, that basically was a blunt bob with some shorter shaggy bits, and she came out with a spiked mullet!!!!! I even showed the hairdresser a pic, so not sure how she got it soooo wrong...

Brenda714
July 6th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Hi, I am so sorry this happend to you... KNOW you are not alone. I am dealing with the same choppy layers about shoulder length. I too have no choice but to wear it up. I think that's probably the best solution in your case. I don't like the way I look with my hair back either, but trust me, you will get used to it. There are lots of cute hairpins to add to your hair. I'm wearing mine back until it grows. I wish you the best.