PDA

View Full Version : My hair thrives in the summer and is a mess in the winter!! Anybody else?

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 01:43 PM
From what I have seen on LHC, a lot of people have their hair troubles in the summer. They say their hair is curlier, poofier, and drier in the summer. However, mine is like this in the winter! When it's hot, my hair is smoother and way less frizzy, anybody else have hair like this? :bounce:

jacqueline101
July 3rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
Mine is like this the curl is there but its not as tangly and messy. When I had straight hair it was smoother and grew faster in the summer.

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
I think it's the humidity of winter that messes it up, humidity + my hair = chaos :D

feralnature
July 3rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
It depends on where you live. Perhaps yall can fill that in so it shows up under your avatar. Sometimes different hair routines are needed depending on location....dry desert, muggy south, snowy north etc.

MonaLisa
July 3rd, 2011, 01:56 PM
Mine! at summer its longer, shinier, just feels overall much better!
While at winter, it's very dry and looks drained and sheds...

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
Oops good idea :D I live in Southern California, so it has dry summers and wet winters.

Majorane
July 3rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
I live in Holland, so its coldish in winter and warmish in summer. Wet all year round.

And my hair definately does not like winter one bit. Give me hot sun any day of the year, for hair and body and mind.

feralnature
July 3rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
duplicate post

feralnature
July 3rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
We are in year 3 of an exceptional drought. My hair and skin don't know what is going on. The doc said use vaseline to moisturise my body. Perhaps that is why my hair is always so thirsty for coconut oil. When I travel to Houston, where it feels like a swamp, I do not have to moisturize.

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 02:06 PM
Yeah humidity is just a curse for my hair x] It makes it a poofy frizzy mess! I find it odd that my hair likes dry weather o_O And I agree Majorane, the sun just makes you feel better in general! I don't think I could survive living in Holland :surprise: (and I am part dutch x])

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 02:08 PM
I have never used coconut oil, have you ever used jojoba? If so, how do they compare? I am currently using jojoba, but I am curious about coconut.

Majorane
July 3rd, 2011, 02:22 PM
Yeah humidity is just a curse for my hair x] It makes it a poofy frizzy mess! I find it odd that my hair likes dry weather o_O And I agree Majorane, the sun just makes you feel better in general! I don't think I could survive living in Holland :surprise: (and I am part dutch x]) yes, we are tropical creatures, made to sit in the sun and eat coconut and mango all day. How they ever figured Holland was a nice place to settle and live is beyond me.

But seriously, when you think about it, it is weird that hair should behave better in summer. Considering all those topics here about dry hair and stuff...

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 02:31 PM
And what is even weirder is that right now where I live, it is 110 degrees Fahrenheit outside!! How that is good for my hair I have no idea! Oh and on a normal day here in the summer the temp is always above 90.

spidermom
July 3rd, 2011, 02:33 PM
My hair likes the fall.

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 02:39 PM
Autumn is my favorite season (especially late autumn), so I wish my hair loved it like I do. My hair likes later spring, summer, and very early fall (the hot part :D)

torrilin
July 4th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Oops good idea :D I live in Southern California, so it has dry summers and wet winters.

When I lived in West LA... I was the opposite. My hair liked winter, and wasn't too fond of summer.

Home is central PA, which tends to have humidity up around 90% in summer. Happy hair! Winter is much lower humidity, down in the 70% range.

Here in Madison, my hair is always really dry, because it's unusual for the humidity to get very high. It's not as dry as a Los Angeles summer, but... Still dry. The more humid the day, the happier my hair is.

pepperminttea
July 4th, 2011, 06:19 AM
My hair hates both; spring and autumn are the easiest.

~BoHemiAngel~
July 4th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I'm with ya, hair twin, except for the opposite reason. My hair LOVES moisture, so for me humid = lovely, full curls. In winter it is dry as a bone here so my curls fall flat and my hair ends up looking all scraggly, thin & dull. My hair just doesn't like the desert at all!! :rolleyes:

Lilli
July 4th, 2011, 11:50 AM
It is slightly humid in the summer where I live, and the winters are cold and dry. I've always made my bad haircut decisions in the winter, because my hair will be flat, dull staticky and lifeless in the dry cold. In the summer, the humidity brings out the wave and makes it look alive and thick. Much prefer the summer. I used to live in Houston, and it always looked good. In fact, I don't even think I needed conditioner b/c of the humidity.

dmarie16
July 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM
My hair hates winter! Dry, frizzy, dull. I work in an uncontrolled environment so that is my main problem. If it is 20°F outside, my hair is exposed to that for 12 hours. Of course dry heated air is a problem too,and I promise myself ever year to buy a humidifier!!! It's humid all summer here:steam

free_hug
July 4th, 2011, 12:10 PM
+1 to the original topic! Has volume and length and life in the summer, and then winter frost turns it into a sad, lifeless limp mess :/

Azhtabak
July 4th, 2011, 12:26 PM
My hair definitely does this, it's much better in the summer :) My hair does not like the winter :( It goes all frizzy and bumpy.

I have found, however, that it tends to feel much better in the cold if I can get it into good condition (like after I've just washed it,) it seems to feel much greasier when it's warm for some reason :(

TheMechaGinger
July 4th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Mine is like this too, and I have to wash it more often because I live in southern AZ and it is HOT. Even when monsoon hits and it gets very humid here my hair behaves much better than it does in the winter, maybe because my hair is so straight?

Of the Fae
July 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I am from Holland also. This summer is quite humid here though (exeption), and my hair appears to do better in humid climates.
It gets brittle from frosty weather and from drought.

Plus, humidity gives me more wavy :) and I like that!

SoulOfTheSea
July 4th, 2011, 03:07 PM
It's so interesting seeing how all these different climates affect everyone's hair. Before I started to grow my hair out, I never thought about the weather, but now it's a big factor in my hair care routine! In the winter I always have to keep it braided and under my hoodie when I'm outside, and it gets a good helping of oil. In the summer I can just lightly oil it and leave it be! I am so jealous of all of you who thrive in humidity, you have no idea x]

And now I'm wondering, is there anyone out there who's hair likes ALL seasons?? That would be magic hair :)

long&blonde
July 4th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I agree that where you live is probably key to this!

SoulOfTheSea
July 4th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I'm with ya, hair twin, except for the opposite reason. My hair LOVES moisture, so for me humid = lovely, full curls. In winter it is dry as a bone here so my curls fall flat and my hair ends up looking all scraggly, thin & dull. My hair just doesn't like the desert at all!!

In the humid winter, I do notice that my hair is more curly! :o But they aren't nice curls at all lol, just poofy!

Dr. Girlfriend
July 4th, 2011, 03:58 PM
My hair prefers summer, I get much more growth and it just looks better.

feb26
July 4th, 2011, 04:18 PM
yes, yes, yes!!! In the summer my hair gets dry and v staticy. In the summer v soft, not dry at all, feels silky to the touch. Only issue I get in the summer is little knots from braiding it back too much (and that's not my hair's fault, it's mine!)