PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about ACV rinses...

Annibelle
July 3rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
I've read the LHC articles that mention them, so I know that they close the cuticle, but could you guys tell me about some of your experiences? It's supposed to make hair smoother and shinier, but are those the only benefits? Could it make it straighter/curlier? Less or more flyaway? Which hair types does it seem to work best for? Should I condition before/after?

THANKS! :cheese:

whitestiletto
July 3rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
I condition wash my hair, rinse the conditioner out. Then I pour about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of dilute ACV (maybe 25 or 50%) on the top of my head... Put it under water a split second to let it run through my whole hair, then let it sit in like it's conditioner. Then I rinse it all out. I know some people use dilute mixes and leave it in.

When I first started using ACV I poured 100% on my dry hair until it was soaking wet, and let it sit for an hr before showering. I found this made my hair amaaazingly soft.

I have wavy/curly fine hair and I would say it helps define the waves and reduces fly-aways. Not any huge difference, just a side effect of making the texture healthier. It made it a lot softer and shinier. It also decreased my dandruff a lot, and when combined with henna and cassia eliminated it altogether. That was my favorite benefit.

I think it has also caused the little bit of blemishes on my back to go away.

gthlvrmx
July 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
It's great :D Super soft results instantly in the shower when it hit my hair, much more manageable. After rinsing my hair with ACV, I then just gently squeeze my hair, apply conditioner, and cap it. 20 min later, i rinse out with water, put my leave in and i am ready. :)
Helps the curls a lot and keep the frizzies away :)
I read that it also helps break some mineral bonds in your hair that came from the water (depending how hard the water is), but i think you have to leave it
I say always condition after ACV rinsing...it wouldn't hurt anyways :p

longcurlygirl<3
July 3rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
It makes my brown hair a little lighter :). And my hair soft & makes my curls spring more

UltraBella
July 3rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
It makes my hair feel dry and unhappy. I have tried to like ACV rinses, but they just don't work for me.

Jeno86
July 3rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
I love it!!! I do a mix of one tablespoon ACV to every 8oz of water. After I condition, I pour my mixture over my hair and let it sit for a minute or two then wash it out with cold water. It instantly made my hair softer, smoother and shiny! It also made my hair more vibrant. Wish I had tried this years ago.

schweedie
July 3rd, 2011, 02:04 PM
I use regular white vinegar for my rinses - not every week, but every once in a while - and I really like it. It does make my hair soft and shiny, and for some reason it seems to dry a little quicker after my shower as well! It also seems to give me a little more volume.

I use a tablespoon of vinegar to about half a litre of water for my final rinse; I don't rinse it out afterwards. We have really hard water, which is why I use it in the first place. :)

terpentyna
July 3rd, 2011, 02:23 PM
I do a diluted ACV rinse and then a cold rinse afterwards. I do it for the shine.

Question - should I rinse with water afterwards, or just let it dry? It makes my towels smell funny if I leave it and I'm also unsure of which method gives better benefits and if I'm erasing the benefits by rinsing it off...?

Annibelle
July 3rd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys!!! Also: how often do you do it? AND, is it like cassia and makes your hair worse and then better, or should the results be immediate? And do you just have a cup of it and then, while you're in the shower, pour it on your hair? :( Sorry if these questions seem dumb-- I just wanna make sure I do this right. :)

UltraBella-- I'm sorry ACV didn't work for you! But I can't imagine ANYTHING improving the quality of YOUR hair! It's amazing already! :)

BlazingHeart
July 3rd, 2011, 03:30 PM
I have a bottle of ACV in the bathroom and a 32 oz cup. I pour about an ounce of ACV in the cup, fill it 3/4 up with water, dunk my length, and then slowly pour it over my scalp. I let it sit for a few minutes, and then rinse it out. Sometimes I follow it with a chamomile tea rinse.

It doesn't seem to make much difference to my hair, but it is very soothing to my scalp.

whitestiletto
July 3rd, 2011, 04:17 PM
Another benefit i forgot to mention above -- I had really bad shedding, handfuls of hair falling out daily and clogging the shower enough I had to clean it out more than once per shower, and as soon as I started using ACV it went away completely, now I shed about 10 hairs per shower and have to clean the drain every couple weeks.

And the benefits were immediate. Not like cassia.

I keep the diluted bottle in the shower next to my conditioner. I do it every time I shower, which is every few days.

RitaPG
July 3rd, 2011, 04:22 PM
Soft, SHINY, smooth, non-heavy hair.
Need I say more? :inlove:
I use it after conditioning, and don't rinse it out.

ETA: It also fixed my itchy scalp back then.

Saranne772
July 3rd, 2011, 05:25 PM
I love ACV rinses. I use a litre icecream tub full of lukewarm water- as cold as I can bear- then put a splash of ACV vingegar into it. after washing my hair and maybe conditioning it I dunk the length in the ACV and leave in there for a few minutes. I then put my head into the tub for a few seconds several times, before pouring the entirety over my head. I do not wash it out and try to keep it in the hair a few minutes before letting it seep away. It feels so cleansing on my scalp- all fresh and tingly. And although you smell vinegary while your hair is wet, it doesnt stay that way. It always makes my hair feel softer and then its more shiny and manageable. Enhances natural highlights also.

Am planning to try ACV rinse made with a cold cup of camomile tea in a few days. (I want to enhance my pale highlights). Not sure how that will work but experimenting is fun! :)

Annibelle
July 3rd, 2011, 07:23 PM
WOW! I was making dinner tonight and found a bottle of ACV! I had no idea I had any! But it expired about a month and a half ago... do you think it's okay to try?

GRU
July 3rd, 2011, 07:24 PM
ACV combined with CO-washing makes a world of difference in the happiness level of my scalp!

GRU
July 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
WOW! I was making dinner tonight and found a bottle of ACV! I had no idea I had any! But it expired about a month and a half ago... do you think it's okay to try?

Absolutely -- as long as it doesn't look "icky" in some way.

(And you dilute it anyway, so the actual amount of ACV touching your hair/scalp is minimal.)

RitaPG
July 3rd, 2011, 07:26 PM
I'm not sure, was it kept away from light and warm? Does it smell, taste, or look different from what it should?
If it looks 'normal' and has no residue stuff growing in it, should be fine :)

Annibelle
July 3rd, 2011, 09:28 PM
It looks normal, and I don't think it was ever opened... it was in the back of a pantry in my kitchen. :) I'll try a very small amount in a rinse tomorrow and see what happens! Thanks for all the info, guys!

ETA: IT WAS OPENED~ Do you think it'll still be okay?

Arianna
July 3rd, 2011, 09:42 PM
a question about the smell; do you find it hangs around after the hair drys? and does this vary if using ACV or just pain white vinegar?
I'm anosmic and can't smell so am rather careful about what i might potentially smell like after a new 'experiment' :)

Pirate Cat
July 3rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
Has anyone found that ACV seems to make their hair greasy? Maybe I'm not using it right? Too much?

Marz Hase
July 3rd, 2011, 10:39 PM
I have found that it's made all the difference in the world to my washings where I live... both CO and clarifying. I think it has something to do with our water. :/ I fill up a plastic mustard bottle and add a glug of ACV to it. Both ACV and henna have saved me from flakes something awful too!

gogirlanime
July 3rd, 2011, 10:42 PM
It makes my hair feel dry and unhappy. I have tried to like ACV rinses, but they just don't work for me.

Same here, just try it out and see if your hair likes it. I hear more people say that their hair likes it instead of disliking it.

ccmso12
July 3rd, 2011, 11:23 PM
a question about the smell; do you find it hangs around after the hair drys? and does this vary if using ACV or just pain white vinegar?
I'm anosmic and can't smell so am rather careful about what i might potentially smell like after a new 'experiment' :)

It smells when wet, but the smell evaporates as it dries and is smell free when dry :)

RitaPG
July 4th, 2011, 06:47 AM
It looks normal, and I don't think it was ever opened... it was in the back of a pantry in my kitchen. :) I'll try a very small amount in a rinse tomorrow and see what happens! Thanks for all the info, guys!

ETA: IT WAS OPENED~ Do you think it'll still be okay?
Smell, laste and look at it. If it seems normal, it should be fine :)

During summer months the smell evaporates pretty quick, but in winter time I can always smell it on my scalp

Annibelle
July 4th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I've actually never smelled or tasted ACV, so I'm not sure exactly what it should be like. :( I think it's okay, but I might just shell out another $3 to get a new bottle. :p

Arianna
July 7th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Did a plain vinegar wash two days or so ago and you're right, the smell doesn't hang around at all :) my hair didn't go super shiney like some people have said theirs did however it did go really soft!! Kind of like the fuzzy undercoat of fur on rabbits. (strange comparrison i know, i used to have a rabbit though, that's why :p)

I thought it had become oilier faster but i think it's just a result of me brushing, combing and generally touching it much more than usual due to its softness.