PDA

View Full Version : Pony and braid ties damage caused by friction or pressure?

shikara
July 3rd, 2011, 11:26 AM
I've heard many times how wearing a ponytail or braid, and tying them at the same place can, over time, result in much more damage in those areas. Is is because of the friction (rubbing) as you are tying and untying them? Once it's all tied, is it causing damage then? I am wondering because I would like to wear a braid in front more often. I would like to clip it at the shoulders, so it is not rubbing up and down and back and forth against my clothes all day long. I want to put a small piece of soft fabric just under the clip in case there are any unfriendly edges that I'm not feeling with my fingers. What is your knowledge about how precisely pony and braid ties can cause damage? What do you think about my idea - is it hair friendly?

feralnature
July 3rd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Awaiting responses myself as I like to wear ponytails and braids and have to consciously force myself not to wear them everyday.

DoubleCrowned
July 4th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I, too, am curious. Years ago I read a book about hair care that very strongly warned against wearing hair any way except down because of the damage done by tying, banding, and clipping, even by using hair sticks! It also warned never to braid hair because of damage from braiding.

Obviously, the people here at LHC, with the hundreds of years of combined experience, generally agree that confining hair is the best way to protect it. Yet, I think I see some breakage from wearing my hair up. There must be some tricks to keeping hair from being damaged from up-dos.

pittsburgpam
July 4th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I rarely wear a ponytail and if I braid (no ponytail first) I leave at least 6" unbraided on the ends and oil them. I can't say that I've read any studies about it but I have always "felt" that putting a hair tie on a ponytail wasn't good for it. I started using the little clear ties and they are wonderful!! They just slide right off the end without any pull at all.

I prefer to loosely bun with hairsticks and no ties. I've tried all sorts of claws and clips but they always hurt my head no matter how I try to wear them. I feel that anything that puts pressure or tension on the hair has potential for damage.

Madora
July 4th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Yes, ponytails are not the most beneficial style for your tresses because:

1) If you ponytail in the same place, day after day, you will eventually harm the hairs held in that particular area..the hairs will weaken, break off, and in worst case scenario, some of your scalp will begin to show because of hair loss

2) Also, ponytail holders (elastics, no matter how hair friendly) generate heat and friction..both of which are not good for your hair. A ponytail bounces and flips around..putting stress on the hairs and the hairs under the holder. Your hair doesn't need that stress! Your hair also tangles, resulting in more damage when you have to detangle it!

3) If you are always pulling your hair back to form the ponytail, if you do it too tightly, some of your front and side hairs will begin to show signs of alopecia (hair loss). Not very pretty!

4) If you want to ponytail, then try and use a panty hose tie, or
perhaps a hair friendly barrette.

Lastly, if you want to wear a braid, then I don't see any problem with that (a lot better than a ponytail!). Braids sometimes get a little "fuzzy" over the hours, but all you need do is just comb it out and then rebraid.

Also, if you can, avoid braiding down to the very ends. I've found that my delicate ends weren't so shot if I only braided 3/4ths of the way down..or at least, to within an inch and one half of the ends.

Lianna
July 5th, 2011, 12:05 AM
As for the band being in the same spot, isn't hair growing anway? So isn't in the same spot for long!!

I think after the hair becomes very long AND HEAVY, ponytails aren't good, but until then I think it's fine. If the hair isn't heavy yet, there won't be much stress on the front/side hairline.

Been using ponytails everyday for the last year, but my hair is short. I use any kind of band, because my hair is quite slippery and doesn't get caught on anything.

Tobsk
July 6th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Yes, ponytails are not the most beneficial style for your tresses because:

1) If you ponytail in the same place, day after day, you will eventually harm the hairs held in that particular area..the hairs will weaken, break off, and in worst case scenario, some of your scalp will begin to show because of hair loss

2) Also, ponytail holders (elastics, no matter how hair friendly) generate heat and friction..both of which are not good for your hair. A ponytail bounces and flips around..putting stress on the hairs and the hairs under the holder. Your hair doesn't need that stress! Your hair also tangles, resulting in more damage when you have to detangle it!

3) If you are always pulling your hair back to form the ponytail, if you do it too tightly, some of your front and side hairs will begin to show signs of alopecia (hair loss). Not very pretty!

4) If you want to ponytail, then try and use a panty hose tie, or
perhaps a hair friendly barrette.

Lastly, if you want to wear a braid, then I don't see any problem with that (a lot better than a ponytail!). Braids sometimes get a little "fuzzy" over the hours, but all you need do is just comb it out and then rebraid.

Also, if you can, avoid braiding down to the very ends. I've found that my delicate ends weren't so shot if I only braided 3/4ths of the way down..or at least, to within an inch and one half of the ends.

Thanks for the advise, have to wear a pony tail to school though so I don't have much of a choice:( Can't wear a braid either, couldn't really take the mockery. Thanks again for advising the panty hose tie, though I do regret googling it a bit, wasn't expecting the top suggestion

Maria_L
July 6th, 2011, 06:42 AM
As for the band being in the same spot, isn't hair growing anway? So isn't in the same spot for long!!

If you waer ponytails this is true. But not if you braid your hair. Scince hair grows from the scalp, the bottom two inches (or whereaver you put the elastic) will alwas be the same piece of hair, until you trim the ends.

DoubleCrowned
July 6th, 2011, 07:53 AM
The fine point yet to be answered is, as I understand the question, is it better to tie the hair loosely and risk friction, or tightly and risk damage from squeezing?

Anje
July 6th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I suspect it's the friction of the band rubbing back and forth when it's initially put on.

I've also noticed that I get damage from those little silicone bands of a different sort; they seem to get hairs caught at angles and create sharp kinks in the hair that don't come out nicely. Making a huge effort to make sure every hair is smooth during banding helps, but doesn't completely eliminate the problem. Some of that must come from the band shifting to have its wraps oriented a bit differently combined with squeezing.