PDA

View Full Version : Fine Roots But Medium Ends?

GingerSnapO
July 3rd, 2011, 08:43 AM
I've noticed recently when examining some shed hairs that some of them are fine near the roots, but actually seem to get thicker toward the ends, which seems odd. Is this actually possible, or is the extra toward the ends all build-up?

I've been CO'ing with Wen since December, and have recently been trying cheaper CO options. I did my first clarifying shampoo just a week ago. I occasionally use small amounts of Nightblooming Panacea on the ends of my hair on non-wash days, and I occasionally use Nightblooming Triple Moon Annointing Oil as a heavy oiling before I shampoo.

Thoughts?

Hairizona
July 3rd, 2011, 09:04 AM
I don't know the cause, but I have the same thing going on. I will be following this thread to see what others have to say or might know about it.

GingerSnapO
July 3rd, 2011, 12:36 PM
Hmmm... that's interesting that we have similar hair types also.

Kdc0180
July 3rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
The same for my hair. I also have REALLY thick strands randomly on my head. Most of the strands on my head are medium. My mom has always joked that it is because of the native american heritage on her side of the family but does anyone else have that?

FluffSpider
July 3rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Having 'mixed hair types is not at all unusual. The fine shifting to medium, I can't really account for, unless it's ever so slightly damaged and the cuticle is puffed up. I would be able to explain medium roots and fine length by just regular wear and tear, but the opposite? Unless it's damage, I don't know

lacefrost
July 3rd, 2011, 12:49 PM
I have the same thing and my hair type is wildly different. My hair is fine at the root and gradually gets thicker till it's coarse at the end. At first I only noticed this on shed hairs, so I initially thought as my hair was getting ready to shed, it made less and less keratin. But it's like this on ALL my hairs.

I'm starting to wonder if this is the same on everyone's head or if this means my hair type is changing from Coarse to Medium and maybe eventually to Fine.

DoubleCrowned
July 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Perhaps you can figure out from the length of the fine part when it was that the hair started changing. Then trace back and see if there was a change in you life at about that time. Change in diet, housing, daily routine, body care products, sleep conditions, household chemicals? Did you remodel or redecorate? Different job? New car? Convenience foods? Added stress? Subtracted pleasure or exercise?

Maybe you could send some hair for a hair analysis to see if you are holding toxins and to make sure you are getting the nutrition you need. (Just because you eat it doesn't mean you are absorbing it properly.)

jaine
July 3rd, 2011, 07:31 PM
This happened to me when I changed my diet. I started eating more meat and vegetables, less grains and dairy. (Actually my previous diet was almost completely comprised of bread, milk, cheese, apples, peanut butter ... the new diet is much more varied and more healthy - meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruit, nuts, and occasional rice.)

Yeah my ponytail circumference is smaller ... but I had so many other good changes happening because of my diet, I never looked back! It was definitely a good change.

I think (just a hunch here) it's because my new diet is less insulinogenic. Higher levels of insulin cause higher levels of androgens, which affects hair.

My body hair also became more fine, incidentally.