PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong? (long)

neesalena
July 3rd, 2011, 05:41 AM
Today I washed my hair per my normal CWC routine, using a diluted Suave shampoo and Aussie 3 min miracle conditioner. I rinsed the conditioner with hot and cool water, while combing it out with a wide-tooth comb. It does not feel clean. If I put my fingers in my hair, they feel grimey/ greasy/ something.

Today isn't the first time it happened though.

I recently got my roots recolored (not the first time) and ever since then I've had this issue.

I did a CWC wash with Suave dilution and Suave conditoner and got the same weird grimy result.

Clarifying seemed like an option, so I did that with PM clarifying and used Nexxus Humectant following that. My hair was fine. I was all, 'phew!'

Today, I already accounted for.

What am I doing wrong? Maybe I shouldn't keep the diluted shampoo in a bottle for so long, like I should mix some up fresh every time? It's the only thing I can come up with.

Thank you for your wisdom!

Peashy
July 3rd, 2011, 06:09 AM
I don't have any advice but I am keeping an eye on some of these answers as I too never seem to get the conditioner thing right. No matter how much I rinse my hair always has that greasy feel afterwards and looks awful but I know it is damaged so it does need something lol

kittymallow
July 3rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
To me it sounds like you get some kind of buildup or something. Maybe you should switch the brand of shampoo and conditioner and that may help.

feralnature
July 3rd, 2011, 12:00 PM
I only use freshly diluted products each time. However, we have a shallow water well, unchlorinated of course, so microbes can taint anthing sitting around for any time period.

Safira
July 3rd, 2011, 12:03 PM
Maybe you should try clarifying? It sounds build-up.

When I feel like my hair needs clarifying, my hair feels greasy, lifeless, tangled. I use Joico Chelating, I´ve found it best. After clarifying, I use keratin treatment and after that, moisturizing treatment. Sometimes when I´m lazy, I just follow moisturizing treatment.

Henrietta
July 3rd, 2011, 12:06 PM
I have it occasionally too but it's because I used too diluted shampoo, too small amount of shampoo or a conditioner managed to touch my roots somehow. Since you have this thing regularly lately, I'd vote for build up.

LunaMoon
July 3rd, 2011, 12:13 PM
When the same routine start giving different (worse) results, for me it is time to clarify. Also, the mix water+ shampoo doesn't last long time. One more vote for build-up problem.

dragonchickx
July 3rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
this might sound weird but try using like a suave conditioner on your head and rub gently for a few mins... like you are shampooing with conditioner instead... because oil is not water soluble using a light conditioner might help move the oils out before you can use a shampoo.. rinse the conditioner out well. Im aware all hair types are different so this my or my not solve that temptorary greasy feeling. The great thing about conditioner is that it can mix with water but it is sort of like a oil without being greasy and it can always be rinsed out.

GRU
July 3rd, 2011, 07:37 PM
I'd guess silicone buildup from the Aussie (it has simethicone).

Try a full-on wash with a sulfate shampoo, followed by conditioning with something cone-free and see if that helps.

torrilin
July 3rd, 2011, 08:13 PM
Aussie 3 minute miracle conditioner is pretty silicone heavy. It does very little for my hair (and my hair likes cones!). If I'm remembering right, the formula doesn't lather well at all, and my hair gets pretty unhappy with most conditioners that don't lather.

That said... I'd probably look at your dilute shampoo method too. Most hair products are formulated to be used at full strength, so there won't necessarily be enough preservatives if you dilute it and store it. I do use diluted shampoo on my hair, but instead I pour out a small quantity and form a lather on my hands. A dime sized puddle is enough lather to thoroughly wash my scalp. This works fine for me with my standard Alba Botanica leave in conditioner. But if I use a product that's more prone to build up... It's time to break out the big guns. My usual shampoo is a good clarifying one, and a nickel sized puddle produces enough lather to thoroughly soak my scalp and my length with bubbles.

spidermom
July 3rd, 2011, 08:17 PM
I always mix my diluted shampoo immediately before use and have no issues, so that is one thing to try.

Did you hair still look/feel dirty after it dried? Often my hair will still feel like something is on it after washing/rinsing, but it's fine after it dries.

You could try applying the conditioner first, washing your scalp area, then rinsing. Don't condition again.

caiti42
July 3rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
My hair disliked cwc with cones. Always lead to terrible greasy waxy buildup. It loves, however, co washing with no cones.

I clarified to get rid of the build up with a clarifying shampoo.

dmarie16
July 3rd, 2011, 08:58 PM
Yep...cones!! Clarify, switch conditioner and maybe try a ACV rinse

neesalena
July 4th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Lots of good ideas have appeared since I was here last.

My plan is this:

1. Throw out the diluted mix. It's been hanging in the shower room of my increasingly hot house, so probably icky.

2. I will clarify next wash, and use my good ol' Suave naturals conditioner. If that works, then I will feel just in blaming the old shampoo mix. I'd recently stopped shampooing my hair more than once, so may it is a problem of not cleansing enough now (?), ugh.

-----

On an interesting side note, once it all dried, the weird feeling was gone and I was left with RINGLETS?! All of my hair, from about chin-length down, curled up and was looking very much how I never thought it could. And then I slept on it (satin pillowcase) and today they're mushed. Still, what a sight it was! I hope this is something that will happen more!!

Thank you for all your ideas!