PDA

View Full Version : What is this white gunk on my scalp?!

Fluffy01
June 23rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
For years no matter what I have done any time I scratch my scalp I get white gunk under my nail. It's not dandruff I presume cause it's only when I scratch my scalp. I'm a curly so even tho I have tried harsh shampoos in the past....I now wash with very gentle shampoos and only a few times a week. But it really doesn't matter what I do. It's always there! It's gross. Anyone know what it could be? Thanks!

Anje
June 23rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
It's probably sebum. (Only reason to believe it isn't is if you're using lots of products on your scalp and have buildup there.)

Sebum is supposed to be there. It is an oily wax that your body produces to lubricate and protect your scalp and hair. You can massage your scalp and move it down onto the hair shaft, where it's quite nourishing to the hair. If you can subject your curls to a boar bristle brush ("BBB" around here) or a wood or horn brush or comb, that can also move it down the length. Only do this with dry hair and only if you can without breaking hairs.

Oh, and if it's white, it means it's quite clean. If your hair and scalp weren't clean it might be yellow or gray.

Pierre
June 23rd, 2008, 09:23 AM
There's also blype in it. If I scratch it the day after hennaing, it's red.

Does fingercombing move sebum down? What about piling hair atop my head, which I do at night?

ChloeDharma
June 23rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
There's also blype in it. If I scratch it the day after hennaing, it's red.

Does fingercombing move sebum down? What about piling hair atop my head, which I do at night?

I get the same thing after i henna....what's "blype" though?

I'm not sure finger combing alone would move it down, though i don't fingercomb from the scalp.....maybe you do it differently. What seems to work is more a massage of the scalp then pulling it down that way.

If it gets built up alot or you want to make sure it's getting washed off then Jojoba oil used to massage the scalp is one of the best to use as it dissolves sebum. I find other oils work too if Jojoba isn't available....sweet almond is quite cleansing.
Another thing that can cause dry sebum is a lack of essential fatty acids in the diet, so sometimes adding more of those can help.

WritingPrincess
June 23rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
What I do when the white gunk gets to be too much, i.e., I'm getting tons of it whenever I scratch a bit, is I do a Brown Sugar Scrub. Basically, I mix 1-3 tablespoons (depending on what I'm feeling like) of brown sugar (you can also use white sugar) with enough conditioner to make a thick paste, then I massage it into my scalp. I wait a minute, then rinse it out. Be sure to rinse out all the sugar, else you get a "crunchy" spot where you missed it.

heidi w.
June 23rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
That's SEBUM my Dear!

We all have it and is part of a healthy acid mantle. If you wait longer between hair washes, that is beyond 2-3 days, you're going to have a lot of it, and it may even have a faint odor that most of us recognize as unpleasant or "dirty". Left unwashed too long, this sebum becomes somewhat discolored (yellowy usually), aromatic in an unpleasant way (that's bacteria eating the sebum), and maybe even a bit gritty, and possibly can even get a little dried on, hardish and not the usual white stuff that is mooshy and can be shaped into a ball and rolled around so easily. Left too long it can also feel gritty.

ACID MANTLE
http://www.smartskincare.com/skinbiology/sebum.html
Understanding something about skin biology is important.

The acid mantle is the balance between sweat and sebum, bacteria that are healthy in presence and numbers all balanced to create a pH.

Overwashing strips the acid mantle incredibly frequently forcing the glands to produce MORE sebum, FASTER.

Underwashing means that your sebum rate can build, and then this balance of the acid mantle can get out of whack and the pH can go awry. Indeed, long enough between hair washes means you can end up with some of that bacteria and such getting out of control and actually causing a mini infection of a hair follicle and thus lose a healthy hair strand before it's lifespan is up. (Yes hair follicles have their own lifespan for holding on to a strand, and know when to 'shed'. This explains why you don't go bald with the constant shedding because every hair follicle is on its own timeline.)

OK, so I would say washing the hair around every third day is about right. The hair for most Average Janes becomes a little greasy or separated by then, but it's not so soon that you can't ever get that acid mantle set. ETA: I would also say that being the one who can go the longest without shampooing is not an award you want to win. Those who claim to go long between hair washes likely have sebacious glands that produce little or slowly (such persons do exist), or they may be elderly, when a lot of things stop working as they seem to have always been! LOL. Wash on a reasonable timeline. At minimum, this would be every other day, the longest being about every third day.

Shampoos tend to upset the pH, but some products work to reset it via one's conditioner. But for many, this does not work at all, hence the ACV Rinse (or lemon in water -- that's acidic too) to help restore that acid mantle (pH balance of the skin itself, not the hair).

So, don't fret. All is well up there. If it smells, it's definitely time to wash. If it's yellowish or hard and gritty as opposed to pretty darn white and smooshy (like a waxy substance), then it's fine.

On occasion, we let this stuff build up too much over & over again, and eventually one's hair wash isn't quite as effective and the hair ends up after a fresh hair wash still kinda smelling, but mostly have a film to it on top, near the hairline, for example. This is a likely indicator to clarify hair wash (to be executed with a strong conditioning session as a companion to the event -- don't skip conditioning) and just start over. Average folks may need to clarify around every 3 months, perhaps...at least those with an active sebacious gland system. (Count me in!)

Sebum isn't an oil, even though when it builds and the hair becomes stringy looking we call it, name it, label it "greasy". Sebum is actually a waxy ester intended to help keep the acid mantle in shape, to help keep the hair closest to the head in some reasonable "condition" and for the overall benefit of the skin itself so it isn't dry, flaky, and unpleasant. Resists sun a little, that kind of thing. It has its uses even if we have a love-hate relationship with it.

But basically, you're fine.

heidi w.

blondecat
June 25th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Thank You for the explaination Heidi W,

I've always wondered about that white stuff too.

[I'm one of those don't wash my hair more than one a week people, cause my hair just doesn't get the greasies [I do rince it in water daily tho when I shower, so perhaps thats the difference.

Garnett
June 26th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Heidi W. I always love your posts.

Riot Crrl
June 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM
LOL, I had to look up "blype."

But it's true and that was also what I was going to say. Skin cells exfoliate on your head just like everywhere else, but they hang around more because hair is in the way of them falling off. It's likely that dead skin cells are comprising most of the volume of what you are finding. It has to be cleaned off somehow or bacteria will eat those too.

suicides_eve
June 26th, 2008, 01:46 PM
ohh i love brown sugar scrubs! i always feel so 'clean' afterwards and my hair loves it too!

Pierre
June 26th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Properly speaking, it's a sheet of dead skin cells that peels off when you have a sunburn or the like, but I often call dead skin cells "blype" even if they don't come off like that.

Gladtobemom
June 26th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Dead skin cells and sebum (natural oils produced by your scalp).

Darkhorse1
June 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I produce wayyy too much of this, and am glad as I'm aging, my oil glands are finally slowing down a touch. As a result, I have to use a clarifying shampoo every 2 days when I wash. I'm going to invest in some Burt's Bee's shampoo (the conditioner is AMAZING), because it's PH balanced. I remember this of Timotei shampoo and that was the best shampoo I ever had...until they stopped making it. Sniff sniff.

So, if you have an oily scalp, I reccomend PH balanced shampoos. I've also suffered from dandruff around my hair line for awhile, and I've found this really, really helps. :)

Boon
June 27th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks for this thread! I've been wondering about this too... :)

brixxgirl16
August 6th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks everyone, I've been wondering about the same thing. But when is it time to clarify? I'm thinking I might need to because any time I scratch my scalp/attempt a scalp massage I end up with flakes of it in my hair.

p.s. I am pretty positive, based on the info here, that this is indeed sebum and not dandruff.

thankyousir74
August 6th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Oh wow now I finally know what that is, I can't believe I never upright asked what it was I just always assumed it was like skin flakes or something :goes to massage her head:

Chromis
August 6th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I have good luck with simply scritching my scalp in the shower before I wash my hair. I use my fingernails and simply scritch in small spots, pausing to rinse the gunk off. It's a nice scalp massage and has really been helping to lessen the amount of gunk I get between washes! (Have not changed anything else in my routine)

Slug Yoga
August 6th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Properly speaking, it's a sheet of dead skin cells that peels off when you have a sunburn or the like, but I often call dead skin cells "blype" even if they don't come off like that.

That is an amazing word and learning that makes my day :eek:

I'm not sure I could stand to wash my hair every 2 or three days. Maybe it's laziness, or maybe it's not liking having wet hair. Or both.

spidermom
August 6th, 2008, 07:58 PM
all of the above plus pollen and dust and all sorts of stuff you'd be better off not knowing about

Bill D.
August 6th, 2008, 10:13 PM
all of the above plus pollen and dust and all sorts of stuff you'd be better off not knowing about

Yes. For me, it's white for some hours after I shower, unless I've been out and about where my oily scalp can pick up some dirt, in which case it's a dirty color.

If I scrape my scalp right after a shower and before my scalp dries, I'll get this but it'll be dead skin cells mixed mostly with water. Once my scalp is dry then oil gradually takes over, then over time dirt mixes in too. If I catch this stuff in between the water and oil phases then it may be dandruff-like.

Bill D.

poookie
August 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM
For years no matter what I have done any time I scratch my scalp I get white gunk under my nail. It's not dandruff I presume cause it's only when I scratch my scalp. I'm a curly so even tho I have tried harsh shampoos in the past....I now wash with very gentle shampoos and only a few times a week. But it really doesn't matter what I do. It's always there! It's gross. Anyone know what it could be? Thanks!

Hi there :)

That's product build-up. This will accumulate when you fail to thoroughly rinse out all of the products you put on your hair.

One of the easiest ways to get rid of it (without having to resort to a harsh, sulfate-filled shampoo) is to lightly scratch your scalp as you wash your hair.

However, if you're like me, and have zero fears whatsoever of cones, sulfates, and other chemicals :) then find a good clarifying shampoo. Apply a small amount of it to your scalp, and lightly scratch as you rinse it out. That should help.

UP Lisa
August 7th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Thank you, Heidi W. I have always wondered and worried about this. I figured that was what it was, since I have a very oily scalp, but it is frustrating that it is always there. Even when I have just washed, it is there. It does take on a yellowish tint after about a day. I have to wash every other day for sure, or I'll practically be dripping.

In my case, it shouldn't be product build-up. I never put anything on my scalp but shampoo, and I rinse a lot.

Anje
August 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks everyone, I've been wondering about the same thing. But when is it time to clarify? I'm thinking I might need to because any time I scratch my scalp/attempt a scalp massage I end up with flakes of it in my hair.

p.s. I am pretty positive, based on the info here, that this is indeed sebum and not dandruff.

Well, clarifying will remove the sebum, but it's harsh enough that you might actually get more sebum faster if you do it often. What works well for removing built-up sebum is something like the brown sugar scrub described earlier. (Brown sugar + conditioner = paste. Scrub scalp, rinse with water)

Clarifying is more of a solution for when you have buildup from products like conditioner, leave-ins, hard water, and anything containing insoluble 'cones that don't come out as part of your normal routine. You probably don't want to do it more than once a month.

Sorry, poookie, but I don't think it's product buildup in this instance, since she describes it as being constantly there, despite harsh shampoos. Sebum with dust, dirt, product buildup, or that's just been there too long tends to be gray or yellow.

brixxgirl16
August 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Well, clarifying will remove the sebum, but it's harsh enough that you might actually get more sebum faster if you do it often. What works well for removing built-up sebum is something like the brown sugar scrub described earlier. (Brown sugar + conditioner = paste. Scrub scalp, rinse with water)

Clarifying is more of a solution for when you have buildup from products like conditioner, leave-ins, hard water, and anything containing insoluble 'cones that don't come out as part of your normal routine. You probably don't want to do it more than once a month.

Sorry, poookie, but I don't think it's product buildup in this instance, since she describes it as being constantly there, despite harsh shampoos. Sebum with dust, dirt, product buildup, or that's just been there too long tends to be gray or yellow.

Thanks Anje! :D

UP Lisa
August 8th, 2008, 05:46 AM
I keep wondering how people do brown sugar scrubs. How do you keep the sugar from disolving right away, therefore being useless?

Also, I don't find that shampoo removes the sebum from my scalp. I can scratch it off right after washing. It's just softer then.

Chromis
August 8th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I keep wondering how people do brown sugar scrubs. How do you keep the sugar from disolving right away, therefore being useless?

Also, I don't find that shampoo removes the sebum from my scalp. I can scratch it off right after washing. It's just softer then.

You put the brown sugar in just a little conditioner. I mix it up only as I'm right about to use it right there in the shower. It stays crunchy long enough for a scrub then rinses away with warm water.

I find just hot water alone is enough to soften my sebum enough to scratch it off easily. I scritch with my nails before shampooing that way I can wash any loose chunks that didn't stick under my nails and are just sitting on the hair looking icky. I also have to wash my comb and brush because they get coated with sebum esp if I don't scritch.

tritty
September 1st, 2008, 10:55 AM
Hi all,

Im new here, and kinda just singed up cause I have this white stuff on my scalp too :P. Im a 23 yo old guy, with short hair that I bleach blonde every 2 months or so. I get alot of the white build up, but not just on my scalp, on my side burns, can be in my stuble on my chin, and even on my chest where I have a bit of hair... is that still all normal?

I wash and shampoo basically every day, do you think thats too often? I am using a head and shoulders dandruff shampoo cause I thought that might help, should I go back to regular and shampoo less often?

Thanks heaps for your help, I was a bit worried till I read this thread!

plainjanegirl
September 1st, 2008, 11:34 AM
This sounds like what I had a few days ago. I didn't know what it was. I was thinking maybe it was from using a different shampoo.

danacc
September 2nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hmmm... Did the Head and Shoulders help any? Does it itch or burn?

There are several different things this could be. If it's fungal, the Head and Shoulders could help a little, or could get rid of it completely. H&S has a strong detergent, so it's not likely that it is leaving much on your skin immediately after cleansing. If you are shampooing thoroughly, and the white build-up continues and bothers you, I recommend having a dermatologist take a look.

tritty
September 3rd, 2008, 06:18 AM
The head and shoulders doesnt seem to do much... and no it doesnt itch or burn.. Hmm dermatologist ay.. that could be a winner.

Memme
October 22nd, 2009, 08:31 AM
I have the same problem! Next up to try is the brown suger scrub (thanks a million for the recipe) and oil...would you guys say jojoba or sesame oil ? I've read that both are good.

UP Lisa
October 22nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
For me, the brown sugar melted too quickly to be of any help.

Lisa

going gray
October 22nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Heidi W. Thank you for the very informative post.

x0h_bother
November 19th, 2010, 12:12 PM
This post really helped me with what I am going through. I use H&S daily; if I use the regular (harsh) kind, I get hard dandruff. If I use the 2 in 1 H&S, I get lots of sebum and buildup. Next stop is mechanical removal, maybe not with a brown sugar scrub though.

Tia2010
November 19th, 2010, 02:30 PM
OK a weird question....

I usually wash my hair twice a week. I use SLS free shampoo then conditioner. I oil the ends a little each day ...but I have never been able to see or feel anything under my nails if I scratch my head...does that mean my scalp is dry and needs more moisture ?

UP Lisa
November 22nd, 2010, 05:48 AM
I think it means your scalp is healthy. No excess oil, no dandruff. You are lucky.

Slamca
November 30th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I also get sebum - but only if I don't blowdry after I wash (if I let it air dry). If I do, my scalp is spotless. Does that make sense to anyone?
So far putting lemon juice on a cotton ball and dabbing my scalp with it has helped a lot, but I'd rather use preventive measures. :/

lw8666
November 30th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Ive been trying to figure this out with my scalp too! Im Glad someone posted this!!

arwenevenstar37
November 30th, 2010, 07:22 PM
what would be other ways of getting rid of the excess apart from the brown sugar scrub and the scrithing? also, I was wondering if there is any other option to clarify without resorting to harsh shampoos

mira-chan
December 1st, 2010, 08:16 AM
what would be other ways of getting rid of the excess apart from the brown sugar scrub and the scrithing? also, I was wondering if there is any other option to clarify without resorting to harsh shampoos

I get the dry sebum (white gunk) too, I found the oil shampoo (shampoo mixed with coconut oil) put on the scalp and left on a few minutes before rinsing out, clears up the white gunk really well. This is not a harsh method. The oil helps dissolve the sebum, since "like dissolves like", and then the shampoo can move it off to be rinsed out.

arwenevenstar37
December 1st, 2010, 09:04 AM
thanks mira-chan! I will try the oil shampoo :) does it only work with coconut oil or can other oils be used as well?

mira-chan
December 1st, 2010, 09:09 AM
thanks mira-chan! I will try the oil shampoo :) does it only work with coconut oil or can other oils be used as well?
Other oils do work but not quite as well as coconut oil. I have tried it with castor oil but it was a bit too heavy and my hair can handle a lot of oil. There is a whole huge thread on it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025).

svehex
August 12th, 2012, 03:02 AM
I get massive amounnts sometimes, and it happens an hour or so after I wash. I can go for months without this problem, but then it appears again, and sometims in piles on my scalp.

A hairdresser once said it was Seborrhea http://www.thefreedictionary.com/seborrhea+capitis

I've got it again now, so I'm going to try a vinegar rinse, to see if it helps.

I'd be thankful for more ideas. I wash every 4-5 days, and don't use cones. I don't use any other products besides shampoo and conditioner. My hair is almost to the middle of my back, and there's a lot of it.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 13th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I always assumed it was a mixture of skin oils and dead skin cells. Have never worried about it though, it comes away when I wash my hair. If my scalp was burning or very itchy I would think I had a problem and get it checked but otherwise, it doesn't worry me. I don't get a huge amount of it anyway.

Lady Neeva
August 13th, 2012, 10:11 PM
The symptoms of the white gunk/itchiness usually occurs about after three days without cones. I wash the next morning (after a night of scratching) and I should be fine until the next wash.

OilPaint
August 14th, 2012, 06:03 AM
I run into this if I use my husband's Head and Shoulders shampoo, or use anything that's harsher than my usual shampoo/conditioner. I find if I use Suave, baby shampoos or V05s I never have this issue.

When it does happen I find myself mentally obsessed with it, to a degree. It's usually something I discover while I'm out of the house and I can't just go do a conditioner-rinse or have access to my other supplies. Drives me nuts because my brain is yelling, "You're oily, you're itchy, and everyone is going to think that you have layers of dandruff... Stop messing with it!" :bigeyes:

Messyhair
August 14th, 2012, 06:28 AM
I wash every day and have this white stuff every day. I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones. :rolleyes:

UP Lisa
August 14th, 2012, 07:13 AM
It seems to go in streaks for me. I've never figured out why I have it when I do, or why I don't when I don't.

mamaherrera
August 7th, 2013, 03:59 PM
weird things of our unique bodies. My question after reading that great write-up on sebum is this: I either sulfate-free wash or water wash daily BUt. . . I still have it. Now let's say I need to try and wash less frequently, but if I have lots of sebum right now, should I wash right now to get rid of it and then start doing less frequent washes, or leave it on my scalp/hair and wait out another couple days to wash regardless?? also, yesterday I just rinsed my scalp, scritched lightly with a wide-tooth comb and did a citric acid rinse, thinking that might help. But now I have more of it, so what would that mean for my pH balance of my scalp. It's all such good info, but when my scalp is opposite of all this, then I get confused. I didn't like the sugar scrub cuz it was messy and if you apply to much pressure, I feel like you can hurt the scalp/hair, but I might try an oil massage and then do a shampoo brush/massage of scritch to get the same benefits of the sugar with the oil.

meteor
August 7th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Sorry, double post.

meteor
August 7th, 2013, 04:47 PM
weird things of our unique bodies. My question after reading that great write-up on sebum is this: I either sulfate-free wash or water wash daily BUt. . . I still have it. Now let's say I need to try and wash less frequently, but if I have lots of sebum right now, should I wash right now to get rid of it and then start doing less frequent washes, or leave it on my scalp/hair and wait out another couple days to wash regardless?? also, yesterday I just rinsed my scalp, scritched lightly with a wide-tooth comb and did a citric acid rinse, thinking that might help. But now I have more of it, so what would that mean for my pH balance of my scalp. It's all such good info, but when my scalp is opposite of all this, then I get confused. I didn't like the sugar scrub cuz it was messy and if you apply to much pressure, I feel like you can hurt the scalp/hair, but I might try an oil massage and then do a shampoo brush/massage of scritch to get the same benefits of the sugar with the oil.
I am really wondering about the same!
Can somebody on NW/SO routine address this issue? I would assume that the more you stretch your washes the more white gunk will build up? Or does the scalp just stabilize and the gunk is removed through scritching only?