PDA

View Full Version : What would you use with my hair?

Saranne772
July 3rd, 2011, 02:06 AM
I have been absent from the site for over 12 months and my hair has suffered over this time. I have slightly shorter hair due to a trim (Its about an inch and half below waist), needs more trimming due to split ends but dont want to loose the length. I have also lost a lot of thickness but can feel the hair growing back in around the scalp- wonder if I'd reached terminal and they fell out. The ends are rather fairy tale like also.

I have hair colour in my signature and currently and trying to highlight naturally more the colour (not with henna though) with honey and camomile. Been looking at the chargrin valley shampoo bars. I fell of the wagon and started using shop shampoo and conditioners again due to lack of time and the convience of it.

What supplements would you take also. I used to take biotin but got out of the habit again.

celebriangel
July 3rd, 2011, 02:24 AM
Sounds like your hair needs a treat! The first thing I would do is go and get some cheap conefree condish (rich if possible - superdrug do an awesome Intensive Coconut and Almond one - own brand, and it comes in a tub), some aloe vera gel and some honey and do a long, warm SMT.

Have you tried CO? I looked at CV bars, and they look yummy, but my hair does very well on CO and that's very convenient for me. You might have the ingredients around anyway :)

With regards supplements, it is important to not take lots of just one thing because it sets everything out of whack (this obviously doesn't apply if you have, e.g, specific anemia due to heavy periods or something). It's also important to avoid megadosing, and supplements which have like 350% RDA in them. It's crazy, you only need a little boost.

I'm currently taking an A to Z multivit and minerals, all the things in it are around 80-100% RDA which is cool since you don't absorb all you take anyway, and the RDA is supposed to be something to aim for, not something to never go over. Fish oils are always good and safe, though sometimes they add extra stuff so you want to watch if you're already taking supplements.

Could you do an S&D to remove splits?

Regarding your thickness, are there any health issues involved? Just reaching terminal would not cause a significant shed and loss of thickness. Stress can also cause shedding; take care of yourself with plenty of water, a varied diet with plenty of fruits, veg, and lean protein, gentle exercise and relaxation time. All these things will improve your hair :)

Best of luck.

celebriangel
July 3rd, 2011, 02:26 AM
Oops, double post!

Saranne772
July 3rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Yes, I used to do S&D but I dont have the haircare scissors at the moment. I should really buy some more but would not spend much on that.

And stress could well be a factor in loss of thickness.

Ye the SMT does sound good ;) I will have to read up around the site different things to try. I need to get back on top of it and hope to get some more significant growth again also. Still hoping to reach knee length!! Yh will have to look into a good multivitamin.

And I did use to use CO but not done that for quite a while. Should think on it again I suppose. Ill probs be browsing on here again on tuesday evening.

Beatnik Guy
July 3rd, 2011, 04:00 PM
Good to see you here again Saranne!

It's also important to avoid megadosing, and supplements which have like 350% RDA in them.

I disagree. I choose high strength supplements and believe they aid good health. :twocents:

You might also want to try Silica and /or MSM. :cool:

BlazingHeart
July 3rd, 2011, 05:24 PM
Good to see you here again Saranne!

I disagree. I choose high strength supplements and believe they aid good health. :twocents:

You might also want to try Silica and /or MSM. :cool:

Megadosing can be dangerous. It means making your liver and kidneys work overtime, and can cause damage to both.

angelthadiva
July 3rd, 2011, 05:30 PM
Welcome back! :waving:

If I were you, I would baby your hair. Do whatever that means to you. It could be wash/style less often, wear your hair up or contained daily. Do deep conditioning etc until your hair reaches a length you'd feel comfortable trimming back to. This obviously can take a while, but what's the rush?