PDA

View Full Version : I have fine hair but alot of it?

TealDolphin
July 2nd, 2011, 11:04 PM
My ponytail measures 4.5 last time I checked; but my hair strands themselves are fine. Does that mean I have thin hair? Or am I overthinking it? :P

MeganE
July 2nd, 2011, 11:07 PM
Your hair is fine and thick. The term "fine" has been used to mean "thin" in many cases, but they are best considered as separate classifications. My hair is also fine and thick. It's definitely a handful as a hairtype!

Sundial
July 3rd, 2011, 12:22 AM
The "fine" refers to the texture of individual hair strand while the third classifier "iii" indicates that you have a lot of them (hence the ponytail circumference of 4.5) :D
So it just means that you have fine strands but a lot of hair! We have some members with similar classifications as you :flower: you can check out the article section for an article written by Phalaenopsis on how to handle thick fine-textured hair

celebriangel
July 3rd, 2011, 01:10 AM
No, you definitely have thick hair.

I sorta feel your pain on this one - my hair has a tendency to be *extremely* voluminous. I thought it had calmed down since puberty, but no, I'm growing it out now and there's a big demarcation line where the hairdresser thinned it to death and it looks like the beginnings of another where my stress-and-illness shed is growing out.

But yeah. Definitely not thin hair. Thin hair is less than 2 inches of ponytail, nomatter what the individual strands feel like.

MonaLisa
July 3rd, 2011, 04:07 AM
I'm the same! extremely fine and a lot of it, which i really like and want even more of course :)

tabby28
July 3rd, 2011, 04:40 AM
I ahve fine and thick hair too :) I asked my hairdresser, because we have similar looking curls, but her hair strands of hair are double the thickness of mine when compared side by side. So I am definitely fine but thick haired.

jojo
July 3rd, 2011, 04:44 AM
Your my hair twin! People get thin hair and fine hair mixed up. Fine is your individual hairs and thick is your overall volume or thickness!

pepperminttea
July 3rd, 2011, 05:32 AM
You have thick hair with fine strands; by no means is your hair thin. ;)

Handy article by Phalaenopsis here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=188). (She's a 1a, but it's still worth a read for a wurly. :) )
You'll also want to check out the Fine and Thick hair thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=24724). :D

Guenhwyvar
July 3rd, 2011, 05:39 AM
My hair is the same :). Fine but thick.

kyandii
July 3rd, 2011, 06:53 AM
My hairdresser says this to me all the time. "Your hair is so fine but there's so darn much of it!"

jojo
July 10th, 2011, 07:23 PM
^^ dito I get told this everytime I went to a hairdressers

MissManda
July 10th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Yep, it's definitely possible to have fine, thick hair. :D All of the hairdressers I've been to have told me this as well.

It can be such a pain to find a balance between hair that is limp and stringy and a massive fuzzball sometimes.

archel
July 10th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I, too, have tons and tons and TONS of fine hair. It's erm....rather a pain. :-P

elbow chic
July 10th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Sounds just like me. I'm fine but thick. in more than one way.

MeganE
July 10th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Sounds just like me. I'm fine but thick. in more than one way.

In more than one way?? What can she mean?

elbow chic
July 10th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I'm talking 'bout my backside, woman. Fine but thick. ahahahha.

never mind....

MeganE
July 10th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I'm talking 'bout my backside, woman. Fine but thick. ahahahha.

never mind....

Bahaha. I guess you're not the only one. I'm obviously thick, at least. :D

Arianoor
July 13th, 2011, 04:12 PM
You have thick hair with fine strands; by no means is your hair thin. ;)

Handy article by Phalaenopsis here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=188). (She's a 1a, but it's still worth a read for a wurly. :) )
You'll also want to check out the Fine and Thick hair thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=24724). :D

Thanks for the link! I'm fine, but thick, too. I just found the forum and am trying to get all the info digested.

BlazingHeart
July 13th, 2011, 04:21 PM
My housemate is also fine but she's got superthick hair - about as thick as mine (I'm near 6" pony circumference). I've got mostly medium hair with fine and coarse thrown in to make knots (I swear, that's all the fine hairs seem to be there for! Make knots and blonde streaks in my chestnut hair.)

~Blaze

Buggheart
July 13th, 2011, 06:37 PM
My hairdresser says this to me all the time. "Your hair is so fine but there's so darn much of it!"

Mine says the same thing.

TealDolphin
July 13th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks everyone :)

lapushka
July 14th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Got that comment a lot from hairdressers in the past. Most of them kind of went Jekyll & Hide on me in one sentence, when I told them what kind of cut I wanted. "You've got fine hair :( (rummaging through hair)... but there's a lot of it. :D That so weirded me out.

theodora
July 14th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Fine hair but lots of it: definition of my hair too. Problem is, hairdressers can't deal if they don't have the patience.
I had this amazing guy who used to do my full heads of highlights, really thin and natural like I like them. It would take 3 hours literally.
Cutting was even worse as every time, stylists thought it was a good idea to 'thin' my hair. The last haircut I got was in may 2010, and I'm still paying for it. I wanted a little bit of volume up top and layers, but something subtle and classy. The guy just wouldn't stop cutting and I got some layers on the top of my head that were so so short.
It's really awful as well when you're watching the person cut your hair and you can see the look of panic on their face when they realise you have so much hair and they can't actually get the layers to sit right so they just keep cutting, and cutting.

This is why, more often than not, I'd rather cut my hair myself!

ChatNoir
July 14th, 2011, 04:02 PM
4.5 inches?? :O Oh, no, dear. You do NOT have thin hair! :P I do. My PT circumference is approx. 1.5 inches... not too happy about that, but hey. It's my hair :)

terralerra
July 16th, 2011, 06:35 AM
I have fine hair and they are very few in numbers,what can I do?