PDA

View Full Version : Need of Tips

wildedove
July 2nd, 2011, 08:59 PM
I'm a newbie in need of tips. What are the best ways in keeping hair nice and healthy from the scorching sun? I live in the central valley and it's blazing hot!

kitten1986
July 2nd, 2011, 09:08 PM
a hat?
orr i think there are hair sunscreen products too but I dont know much about them :D haha

feralnature
July 2nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
Hi! I live in central Texas and have to protect my hair, head and face from the sun too. I have a collection of cute hats...a beat up cowboy hat, a sombrero, a straw town hat, a sunbonnet. I am looking at the Tilley website for a new traveling hat: http://www.tilley.com/Hats.aspx

There is also a silk infinity scarf made for the sun that I have my eye on, UPF 50!: http://www.coolibar.com/07508.html

Madora
July 2nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
Oh, boy, you have my deepest sympathy! I've been in that area and its like Hell's anteroom..as far as the heat is concerned!

To protect your scalp and hair from the sun, wear a white scarf or white straw hat.

While the color will not deflect all the harmful rays associated with sunlight, it WILL protect your scalp and hair and help deflect some of the heat.

Also, if possible, wear your hair up to protect the ends, and moisturize those delicate ends with a little bit of coconut oil, or the oil of your choice.

To keep your hair in tip top shape, detangle with a wide tooth comb before brushing. Brush with a pure boar bristle brush. The benefits of brushing with a bbb are many: brushing removes the grit and lint from your scalp and strands, it exercises your hair follicles, it distributes the natural sebum down your hair strands, and over time, gives a wonderful shine and softness to your hair.

Brush gently and slowly, and always remember to detangle FIRST. There is a proper way to brush, and your hair will thank you if you take pains to care for it gently.

Also, airdrying is best. No blow fryers or straighteners. Never brush wet hair because hair is at its weakest when it is wet!

To cut down on tangles at night, try a silk or satin pillowcase.

What you eat is very important for good hair health..so eat wisely and drink plenty of water. Supplements are also beneficial, although they take time to "kick in".

And please remember, much of your hair health is also derived from both parents. The genes from both of them determine your hair color, whether its curly or straight, thick or thin, coarse or fine...and HOW fast (or not) it will grow.

Keep your ends in fine fettle by doing minute trims (called S & D (Search and Destroy) to the ends to get rid of the splits or damaged strands. Get a regular trim every 4 months or so.

Or learn how to do Feye's Self Trim, which is easy and yields great results!

There are a LOT of other hair tips here in the Mane Forum. Just use the Search box and see what turns up.

Good luck! And remember, growing hair takes time and buckets of patience!

wildedove
July 2nd, 2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys!

Darkhorse1
July 2nd, 2011, 10:32 PM
I work outdoors and am athletic and the sun is my enemy to my hair and skin.

Remember that sunblock won't protect natural hair, but will protect colored hair from fading/going brassy.I use a spray on/leave in conditioner by Schwarzkopf for that.

as for other options:
1. Tilley hat--expensive, but protects head and hair if you do an updo that fits under it
2. baseball hat of a microfiber nature--keeps head cool and wicks away sweat, and you can find a size that fits hair under it

I also bought an SPF buff to use to cover any buns/braids I use outside of a hat. This also helps with sun damage.

Water: It's harder for the sun to damage hair if it's wet, according to some literature I've read. So far, that seems to be true, but I also just wet/soak my head if it's a scorching hot day and I'm going to be outside for 16 hours. Keeps me cool.

Many styles i've used are:
braided bun
french braid folded
english braid folded
my version of a figure 8/log roll twist held with a ficcarissimo and kept under a hat
scrunchie bun (read: running too late to style hair)

Hope those help.

MonaLisa
July 3rd, 2011, 04:05 AM
Question here!
I'm very active person, and i don't think i can keep the hat or scarf except a little bit.
So putting oil on my ends to protect them is what im gonna do, but im slightly worried if that can be actually harmful? oil + lots of heat?