PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else undo single-strand knots

McFearless
July 2nd, 2011, 06:25 PM
With a sewing needle? :o I've taken this hair obsession too far, haven't I?

Vani1902
July 2nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Is it possible to undo them? I have so many of them and I have tried to undo them, but I can't. :/ I hate those things. I don't even get split ends. I just get those knots.

CurlAhead
July 2nd, 2011, 06:45 PM
Well, I just rip them off. :D

Helix
July 2nd, 2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks for posting this. Now I don't feel like such a freak for doing this. I just tried this last week. I went at those SSK's with a sewing needle with the precision of a surgeon. I managed to undo a few but snapped a couple too so that wasn't so great...Although, in my defense I was a little bored at the time.

pixi_stix
July 2nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
If I have a tricky knot, I smother it in oil before untangling it. never failed yet

lacrymosa777
July 2nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
my hair is not long enough for that yet.....but i just keep a pair of scissors handy when i'm doing my hair and snip as needed

Zesty
July 2nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
I know there are definitely LHC members who also do this. I don't personally have any needles or pins handy ever, or I probably would try it. I just snip them like they're split ends, usually. I don't get too many though.

Lianna
July 2nd, 2011, 09:18 PM
If I have a tricky knot, I smother it in oil before untangling it. never failed yet

This (http://www.naturalhairrules.com/10-tips-for-preventing-one-strand-knots) is a single strand knot, it mainly happens in curly hair. It isn't like a tangle knot, it's just one hair strand.

I've read about doing this, but I only found 3 so far in my bangs. I try to keep it stretched so it doesn't happen that often. I also heard the strand would be very fragile in that spot, but I think it's worth the shot.

Mesmerise
July 2nd, 2011, 09:22 PM
I snip them! I'd never tear them out though :bigeyes:.

feralnature
July 2nd, 2011, 09:23 PM
I don't get this type of knot but find this all very interesting.

Unnamed
July 2nd, 2011, 09:26 PM
I've only been able to undo single-strand/fairy knots a couple of times, and only ones that hadn't fully tightened. Once they have there's no way to get a needle or pin in to undo it and they need snipped. :oops:

lyria
July 2nd, 2011, 09:33 PM
I use safety pins :)

EdG
December 27th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I tried this successfully today on a half-dozen knots. It works! :cheese:

The trick is to use a large sewing needle on a knot that is at least a little open. The needle diameter has to be large enough to loosen the knot as the knot is slid down the needle. Then, slide the needle down to the end of the hair. This worked on all but a few knots. :)
Ed

Nae
December 30th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I had never thought about trying that. I usually snip them when I find them. Now I may have to try to de-knot them. Interesting.

XcaliburGirl
December 30th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Sometimes I can un-knot them with my finger nails if the knot is not too tight. Usually half of it breaks anyway. Otherwise, I leave them or cut them off.

Lostsoule77
December 30th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I don't get too many of these, but those that do appear get snipped.

Amber_Maiden
December 30th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I'd rather snip them.

ArienEllariel
December 30th, 2011, 04:40 PM
It's pretty much impossible once I notice them.. I just end up trimming above the knot.

Juneii
December 30th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Too much effort for one single strand of hair, I get a few of these so they just get snipped. I usually find them at the last inch or so of my hair anyway, it will take about a month or two to grow back. Not a big loss. :)

EdG
December 30th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I normally snip out knots, but these knots were on the ends of my (very few) length strands. I didn't want to loose length, so I was happy to salvage them.
Ed