PDA

View Full Version : Still a noob - hair toys question.

MonaLisa
July 2nd, 2011, 06:13 PM
So today I got my first pair of hair sticks, they are purple and lovely. Problem is I can't seem to make a proper style that they'd hold, it's ok for 1 minute then everything unwraps and falls apart...
Is there some topic with instructions or something?
Please help! I really do wanna use them!
And something simple if possible for start..

Second, I also got a ...what i believe is a hair fork, it's silver and pretty but i think it might be too small, it just disappears in my bun and also falls apart..
So any instructions on that?

And is there different hmm...'sizes' of hair toys for different lengths?

:o:o:o

Good thing is that my hair's starting to feel longer and longer, and for the first time i actually feel the need to wear it up, to protect it from damage and myself from summer heat :)

Anje
July 2nd, 2011, 06:31 PM
There's definitely a trick to it... the Nautilus bun is a good one to start with. You just have to stick the stick in the right place. Here's a video of our lovely Hyponotica making one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-BQ5OMV2Y)

HairStickler
July 2nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Yes, there are definitely different sizes of hairtoys. The prongs of the fork or the usable part of the hairstick should generally be a little longer than the diameter of your bun. But if your hairtoy is shorter than that, don't despair, because there are also some center-held buns (like the Nautilus) where the hairtoy goes through less hair.

My buns also fall apart if I do them too loosely. I think there is a bit of trial and error in getting the tension right.

Maybe some action pics would help us troubleshoot with you. :eyebrows:

LornaDoone
July 2nd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Start with the stick going through the edge of your bun, with the bottom of the stick angled away from your bun, then slide the bottom of the stick (gently) along your scalp toward your bun to catch some scalp hair and then through your bun making sure you catch the edge of your bun on the other side.

Most styles will hold with one stick, but a second stick can add some stability. Or the second stick can be purely for aesthetics.

Some styles are easier than others. The nautilus is a good one especially for learning how to use sticks. I have been using hair sticks for years and I still can't get a cinnamon bun to stay more than thirty seconds.

A fork is used in a very similar manner.

HTH

LornaDoone

Madora
July 2nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
You Tube tutorial by Isabelle Naturelle..the Chinese braided bun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrJYzX4cbXU

Easy peasy, with beautiful results!

Enjoy!

MonaLisa
July 3rd, 2011, 04:01 AM
Oh thank you!!
think now i get the point!
I was using it just straight through bun anywhere!
Gonna have some fun trying to copy these 2 vids! :)
And might make some pics too!

tinti
July 3rd, 2011, 07:51 AM
Torrin's how to use sticks tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWf4ElyLAAE&feature=channel_video_title)
Hair forks is used in a similar way. HTH!

GoatLady
July 3rd, 2011, 08:53 AM
Start with the stick going through the edge of your bun, with the bottom of the stick angled away from your bun, then slide the bottom of the stick (gently) along your scalp toward your bun to catch some scalp hair and then through your bun making sure you catch the edge of your bun on the other side.

This. I was going to type similar instruction but Lorna Doone put it so well. You basically need to grab the edge of the bun, some scalp hair, and the opposite side of the bun. And be gentle when inserting delicate hair sticks, or they can snap. :p