PDA

View Full Version : My dry patches are back :-(

Gilly
July 2nd, 2011, 12:42 AM
Yep, I noticed today that I have got several nasty dry patches on my scalp and when I ran my fingers over them they broke up into lots of flakes which then spread themselves through my hair :rolleyes: I have been using shampoo bars for a good 2 months and following with a conditioner that had citric acid as an ingredient, my hair was feeling great, my scalp was not itchy so I just carried on. I am now thinking that I need to rethink things, I don't want to use a scrub on my hair as its already very fine and rolls over and breaks if I threaten it with anything more that a wide tooth shower comb:rolleyes:.
I don't like SLS as it irritates me hence the move to shampoo bars, but now I don't know what to do, I need some suggestions please, I am also in Australia so we don't have Walmart or Sallys here.
:confused:

Chiara
July 2nd, 2011, 04:20 AM
Hi Gilly,
Have you tried this? http://www.moogoo.com.au/scalp-friendly-shampoo.html
I've got some, but haven't tried it yet (washday is tomorrow!).

I find that my scalp is always flakier in winter, due to the drier air. Also, given that your regime was working OK, have you changed anything in your diet, or had a bit more stress lately? These are all things that I find can bring on an attack of the killer flakes! Too much sugar, milk, refined carbohydrates are all triggers for me (I think it's something to do with the glycemic index of these foods, maybe...)

Gilly
July 2nd, 2011, 04:26 AM
Hi, Yep I have tried MooGoo, it did nothing really for me:(

Chiara
July 2nd, 2011, 04:31 AM
What a pain!
One other thing, have you been checked for psoriasis and all those kinds of things? Sorry if I'm suggesting the obvious, but I had a friend who had this problem, of recurrent flaking in defined patches, tried all sorts of things, and it turned out to be psoriasis (which responded to a UV lamp!).

Gilly
July 2nd, 2011, 04:39 AM
Its not psoriasis, I get it in random areas of my scalp and it will go away if I manage to find a shampoo that won't annoy my scalp, it then plays nice until it has yet another hissy fit and we have to change things again :rolleyes: My hair has the attention span of a squashed pea at times!

Gabriel
July 2nd, 2011, 05:39 AM
Didn't you just switch to an olive oil soap? I thought I remember your post on the shampoo bar thread.

I used olive oil as one of my oils when I tried the oil cleansing method for my face. Maybe it's a little too cleansing for your scalp or maybe it left a coating?

Maybe you need to clarify?

I clarify every few months but mostly use shampoo bars followed by conditioner. Sometimes I get a few washes where it seems like my scalp gets crazy ideas and decides to flake so I alternate shampoo bar washes with an anti dandruff shampoo. This usually helps things settle and I can go back to just shampoo bar and conditioner washes.

HintOfMint
July 2nd, 2011, 07:45 AM
I've had this problem before. There are two things that worked for me, but again, YMMV.

1. Coconut oiling the scalp before a wash and then, after shampooing, washing the scalp with a bit of my acne face wash with salicylic acid. I'm guessing that the oil loosened the dry flakes and softened the skin, and the salicylic acid dissolved the dead skin. It worked pretty well.

2. Head and shoulders. Yes, chockablock full of sulfates, but it worked.

Gilly
July 2nd, 2011, 11:11 PM
Yes I had changed to the Olive oil soap bars but I had noticed the flakes before starting on them, I was hoping that they would add some moisture but it does not look like it.
I washed with Nioxing system 3 shampoo and conditioner this morning and already it looks better :cheese: