PDA

View Full Version : Plopping: Scalp adjustment period?

shrimp
June 23rd, 2008, 06:32 AM
I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this?
And if so how long it took before it went away?

I've returned to curls for a while (again... :rolleyes:) and have noticed recently that my scalp is really hurting, absolutley aching in fact (Im eyeing up some ibuprofen right now).

I can understand why this would happen as it is so used to being combed into a straightened centre-ish parting and with plopping that doesn't happen. The roots get a chance to curl and more lift so I'm sure they are pulling in directiosn they are not used to and they will dry in a slightly different placement whilst under the towel than when let loose. :ponder:

I've tried scalp massage but it isn;t really helping.

Any tips?
(or just support!)

TIA :flower:

shrimp
June 23rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Anyone? :wail:

Seriously - I cannot cope with several hours of pain the day after washing.

lora410
June 23rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
I get a painful scalp when I ponytail it way to much. Nothing takes my pain away but a few days of healing time. I suggest no plopping until your head feels better, and try a heating pad :flower:

shrimp
June 24th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks for replying lora410.

I straightened my hair again last night. So frustrating just at the point that the curls are truly coming back in full force.

lora410
June 24th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks for replying lora410.

I straightened my hair again last night. So frustrating just at the point that the curls are truly coming back in full force.

I have wavy hair and used to straighten it and sometimes chemical straighten it when I was a child. I always plop (I am assuming placing hair on pillow above head?) and last night I tried a high bun on my head (the way I used to do it) and the sides of my head go soooo sore eventhough it wasn't tight. Sometimes scalps are finicky. Have you tried braiding it wet before bed and wearing it wavy in the mornings? my dd has curls and this makes it wavy in the morning.Or braiding it and wrapping around you head since you have long long hair :)

jojo
June 24th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I would give your scalp a rest for a day or two, seems its pulled too much. A nice lukewarm rinse may help.

Sorry I am not much help and I am sorry you are in pain, hope it gets better soon.

{{{{{hugs}}}}} Jojo xx

missy60
June 24th, 2008, 07:52 PM
When I wear my hair up to long I get scalp pain. When I let the hair down I sort of massage my scalp for a little while. Sometimes the pain goes away after a little while but it always goes away after I wet it. I know that doesnt really help your problem though maybe try to go let it go curly with out plopping. Maybe dont leave it in the towel or what ever you use to plop with as long. When I use to plop I only left my hair up for about 10 or 15 mins.

shrimp
June 25th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I've gone back to wet braiding for a while to give my scalp a break. I will try plopping again soon maybe without piling all the hair on top of the head. Briad waves are fun, but yeesh does my hair feel thinner without the curls. Longer though :wink:

Katze
June 25th, 2008, 05:14 AM
I honestly can't imagine this. When I plop, it feels so nice to have all that hair on top of my head.

However, if I 'scritch', massage my scalp when dry, or otherwise touch my scalp, it starts itching, I start touching more, then BAM the crusty flakiness comes back. Touching and picking at my scalp is a nervous reaction so it is hard not to do, but I'm relearning.

Don't braids give you weird bumps? if I braid, I can never wear my hair down again without washing...

shrimp
June 25th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Yup I get braid bumps - but I don't wear my hair down so it's not an issue, plus to be honest they usually look ok as when I unbriad my hair can still be very damp so they pulled out a lot in combing and bunning.