PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q's :)

ccmso12
July 1st, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hello, Ive been reading up here for about a month (okay I lie I did a clarifying poo 1X after going to the pool--had greased heavy in olive oil and a leave in masque prior . . .then exposed to chlorine) . . .but had moderator delayed approval to post???? So I have questions building :)

Ive been poo free for 1 month now (woo-hoo yeah!) I started using WEN, then stumbled across you guys trying to find an alternative (less$$$$$$) as I went through the 12 oz bottle in 1 wk that was supposed to last a month. Not sure I wouldve had the balls to go COing if I hadnt used 'wen' as my "gateway drug" first. What are your thoughts on WEN if youve tried it?

my COing . . .sound right???(Coing every other to every 3rd days)
Im now using VO5 kiwi lime for 'cleansing conditioner'- though didnt feel it was enough of conditioning so Im following with . .

Suave naturals lavender lilac conditioner for conditioning And most recently . . .

A 1:10 ACV rince (I put 1oz in a 10oz bottle then squirt all over my hair) . . .Are you supposed to rinse afterwards with reg water or not? I havnt been . . .and now using it twice my hair felt dry at the ends? SHould I stop or am I doing it wrong?

Ive been olive oiling 1Xwkly the night before a shower also . . .havnt fine tuned that process on my "thin texture strands, but thick over all hair" to get a not greasy look.

I also bought a boar brush . . .and tonight when I brushed I had 17 strands in it afterwards . . .is this normal?? They were from the root??? Should I just go back to my 'finger combing'?

Havnt found a good lightweight leave in yet???

ccmso12
July 1st, 2011, 09:11 PM
I can reply now??? But I get a 'disabled' msg when I try to post new . .and if I try to look at someones pics under their prof I get the'disbaled' msg???

Help moderators?

McFearless
July 1st, 2011, 09:25 PM
I can reply now??? But I get a 'disabled' msg when I try to post new . .and if I try to look at someones pics under their prof I get the'disbaled' msg???

Help moderators?

Welcome to the LHC! :)

You have to have 25 posts to view pictures and post threads.

McFearless
July 1st, 2011, 09:32 PM
It sounds like you're doing all the right things. We have a CO wash thread you'll probably find helpful. Here it is: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898

Many people cleanse with VO5 and other cone-free conditioners. Personally I use Suave on my scalp and a thicker, richer conditioner on my length, exactly like you are doing. I do it all in one go- first applying the rich conditioner on my length, and then I massage Suave into my scalp. After I rinse I follow that with an ACV rinse(it makes my scalp happy) and I don't rinse it out. If it doesn't work for your hair I wouldn't use it, but you may need to adjust your ratio first. Maybe try a little less ACV in your water.

Is your hair still greasy from the olive oil after a CO wash? Maybe try leaving the conditioner on for longer. Many people apply to conditioner to dry hair 10, 15, 20 minutes before they get in the shower, to make sure all of the oil is removed. You have to experiment with that.

Good leave-ins are hard to find. Some people use oils to trap in moisture. Some use water-based moisturizers. Personally I use whatever is lying around because I'm lazy.

You can also use to search bar at the top of the page to read all posts on here mentioning Wen, or any other topic you want more information about.

Madora
July 1st, 2011, 09:38 PM
Re: hairs in brush/fallen out. No worries. Normal range of hair loss every day varies from individual to individual..but runs about 80 hairs average. You may shed more..or less.

Brushing is good for your hair..IF you use a pure boar bristle brush. How you brush your hair determines the overall appearance of your tresses. Brushing correctly improves your hair in many ways:

1) removes dirt/lint/any dandruff
2) exercises the hair follicles
3) distributes the natural sebum down your strands
4) over time, imparts softness and shine

How you brush your hair makes all the difference. If you are rough, your hair will suffer. Brush correctly, and your hair will reap the rewards!

GingerSnapO
July 1st, 2011, 09:53 PM
I'm another Wen user who's trying to find the cheaper alternative, and our hair types don't appear to be very different. I've been very happy with my Wen (my fave is Sweet Almond Mint, with Tea Tree when my scalp gets cranky, but I like Pomegranate too.)

I found Wen before I found LHC, and although I'm going to try going cone-free (which Wen is not) so I don't have to clarify as often, I'm not going to be too adamant about it. I was using Wen for a good 5-6 months before I though I might be getting some buildup from the cones, so My hair apparently doesn't hate either cones or protein (which Wen has also.)

Using 2 different conditioners in the same shower seems like way too much work for me, so I'm looking for one that works in one shot, although I don't mind keeping a couple on hand for different uses. For example, more astringent for after heavy oilings or tea tree for cranky scalp days or richer for drier times, etc.

The only other products I've tried have been Nightblooming Panacea as a light oiling leave-in (works best on dry hair for me) or Nightblooming Triple Moon Annointing Oil for heavy pre-shampoo (often overnight) oilings.

ETA: My shedding initially decreased when I went to CO. It's increased again some-- still not as bad as it was a year ago-- but now it's most either in the shower or when brushing. Before it was any time, all the time.

swetiepeti
July 1st, 2011, 10:05 PM
new here as well, just got activated today. Have just over WL blondish hair although the ends are thin and tapering.

whitestiletto
July 1st, 2011, 10:13 PM
I CO in one step with the 2.99 trader joe's conditioner. It leaves my hair squeaky clean, even after olive oil deep treatment. I was reading the WEN thread on here earlier and several people said that WEN users who find LHC switch over to regular COing with no difference in quality, and that WEN is basically overpriced BS but a good transition for people who otherwise would not have found LHC.

dmarie16
July 1st, 2011, 10:19 PM
Personally I have never tried Wen. Oil is tricky for me also. I try to oil once a week with coconut, camilla or monoi oil. I think if the vinegar is too drying for you, try a 1:20 ration instead and rinse well with cool water. Vinegar helps remove residue so it's not neccesary to leave in hair. And possibly your hair would prefer a tea rinse.

I use a few drops of whatever conditioner I have as a leave in. No need for the extra expense. Personally I CO and use whatever I have for the roots then usually use Biolage balm or Toadstool soaps deep conditioner on the ends. I also love yes to cucumbers conditioner for both first and second conditioner. And I have dry frizzy hair!!

So many options in every price range!!! Good luck hunting!:D Try least expensive products and work your way up til your hair is happy.