PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I just wanna cut all of my hair off.

snakewitch
July 1st, 2011, 06:23 PM
It gets annoying. The constant tangling, how greasy it gets if I don't wash for a day, how I have to braid it everytime I go to bed or I wake up with matted hair...

I don't think I'll ever go through with it but sometimes I just wanna cut it until it's like 2 inches long and doesn't need as much of my attention.

I love my hair, and I really wish it would grow to terminal length, but it's taking too long and sometimes it's annoying.

Anyone else ever feel like this?

Cardinal
July 1st, 2011, 06:37 PM
Yup. Reminds me of that old CSNY song:

Almost Cut My Hair

I almost cut my hair, it was happened just the other day.
It was gettin' kinda long, I could've said it was in my way.
But I didn't and I wonder why, I feel like letting my freak flag fly,
And I feel like I owe it to someone.

Anyway, that feeling hits me every so often, but since finding this forum and reading of the ways to take care of my hair, I am going to start putting some time and care into it.

No doubt, the urge to cut will hit again some day.

spidermom
July 1st, 2011, 06:40 PM
Oh yes; sometimes I feel like my hair is eating my life and I need to get rid of it.

The feeling never lasts for two weeks, though.

QueenJoey
July 1st, 2011, 06:44 PM
No, don't get annoyed. My hair was tangled and greasy when it was short, too. At least now it's long and pretty as well.

layla<33
July 1st, 2011, 07:20 PM
sometimes! I have to wash mine everyday or it gets SUPER greasy! its always been like that plus i hate those nasty tangles :( the ones where no matter how careful you are you always hear that dreadful snapping of a hair breaking before its all over with :(

Corvus
July 1st, 2011, 07:38 PM
Can't say I've ever felt like that......

A few years back I cut my long hair to a short bob at the advice of a friend who said my long, straight hair aged me. I cried every time I saw a pic of my long hair and so regretted the decision. Now I rejoice in my long hair, and no matter how hard it is to de-gray, or wash and condition, I know that for me the alternative is just horrible!!!

McFearless
July 1st, 2011, 07:42 PM
I feel the same way. I don't have straight, silky hair. It is so hard to maintain and take care of. I know I will be unhappy with short hair so that fear keeps me from cutting.

elbow chic
July 1st, 2011, 07:43 PM
Yeah, sometimes. I have a friend with that kind of spiky-but-femme hair that I'd wager only 5 percent of the population can really pull off and sometimes I wish I could just swipe a comb through twice, throw in a handful of gel and call it good.

My hair's been short, but never 2 inches.

But I know on ME, that hairdo would look like I had no hair at all. And it wouldn't exactly do my big nose any favors either. :p

CaityBear
July 1st, 2011, 07:58 PM
Sometimes because of the tangled mess. Usually it's easy to keep it from getting tangled, but every now and then my hair becomes massively tangled that I cry trying to untangle it. Or I'm just doing something and it gets in the way (such as working out and it won't stay in a bun) then yes I do want to cut it all off. But those moments are rare. Usually I like my hair a lot. :)

dulce
July 1st, 2011, 08:05 PM
These things helped me,wear a satin or silk sleeping cap to bed[no am tangles], and wear hair twisted in a ficcare when exercising[ it holds like a rock].

embee
July 1st, 2011, 08:23 PM
I've had short straight hair and short permed hair. Both were horrid on me.

Growing out is tough. I found the best for me was to put it back, put it up, ignore it best I could. I hadn't the money for cuts, styles and trims, so pony tails and eventually some sort of updo was my answer. I wasn't best pleased with my hair, but wearing it up all the time kept down the tangles and hid the greasies.

And one day I discovered my hair was long, I found LHC, learned a couple more updo styles, got some good hairtoys, and learned how to use them. Now it's easy.

But you're right, growing can be *Really Slow*. Hang in there! :)

Madora
July 1st, 2011, 08:25 PM
Dulce has the right idea! You must be proactive if you want to grow your hair long, and have healthy hair!

If you hate dealing with snarls/tangles, wear your hair UP. Use a silk pillowcase. Learn how to do simple updos.

This is not to say you can't wear your hair down at times! Just realize that when you do, you run the risk of tangles, and the damage that occurs when you detangle later!

Above all, be gentle with your hair. I know the frustration of trying to reach your goal...and the frustration of "but it is taking FOREVER. My hair grows so slowly!"..but you must be patient! Every person who wanted to advance to the next stage of hair growth has been in the same boat. Patience is the number one ingredient you need - in spades - to achieve your hair goal.

All the things you do to your hair have a bearing on how healthy/beautiful it will be! The tried and true methods work! Having long hair means a real committment over time. It does not happen in a month or two months. You've got to be willing to "go the distance" and do everything possible to nourish and protect your hair.

Perhaps you might be happier with short hair. Short hair can be beautiful too...if it is properly taken care of.

UltraBella
July 1st, 2011, 10:47 PM
I have never had the urge to cut it shockingly short, but I kept having the nagging feeling that I wanted a BIG trim and when it never went away, I did it. I am so much happier. However, had I gone too drastic I would probably be very upset with myself. Maybe a change would do you good ?

gthlvrmx
July 1st, 2011, 10:52 PM
The greasies don't leave after trying to stretch washes slowly for a long time?

I'm right with you with the feeling sometimes.

But either way, hair grows no matter what you do :p

CathyEarnshaw
July 1st, 2011, 10:57 PM
I'm going through that right now. The worst thing for me is when I exercise. My hair gets soaked with sweat.....every single day! Since turning grey, my hair is very dry and I try not to wash it every day, but it's gross! Lately, I just want to cut it into a pixi.

Kdc0180
July 1st, 2011, 10:58 PM
Been there. I felt like donating it, but I really want to enjoy it for as long as possible. I know if I cut it, i'd regret it and be right back to wanting to grow it out haha

Sunny_side_up
July 2nd, 2011, 04:04 AM
My hairs been hanging about at the length nearing my armpits for a year now, this is because of regular trimming over the year
I have since decided i will leave it be and on days when its feeling like it needs a bit of attention just do a massage or use a tad more coconut oil on the ends and am happy again the next day.
Summer is a great time for my growth, but also i'm wary of being in the sun too long and dryer ends. there are different sections that grow at different speeds, some noticably so especially at the back section on my hair;) i will just let it grow for a solid 6 months then decide what i want to do trim wise or layers...

Nev
July 2nd, 2011, 04:10 AM
my hair annoys me and its not even that long! i'm sure that when it does get long (someday! :cloud9: ) the upkeep is gonna annoy me even more, but it'll definately be worth it.

MissAlida
July 2nd, 2011, 04:31 AM
About two months ago I've decided to cut my hair to pixie. I had chosen the style, had the picture of it on my phone, was ready to go to the hairdresser and cut it. My hair was tangly, shineless, and a big pain in the #@@#. Lucky me, I couldn't shut up about my intentions in front of my girlfriends and told them what I was about to do:p. They persuaded me not to cut it. Around that time I found LHC. I registered last week (I think), now I'm learning much, had a small cut, just the ends, condition everytime I wash it, use a deep conditioning every week, and my hair is gorgeous and happy:D. So am I. Just bought the roiboos tea, can't wait to try it on my scal, hope it helps with the shedding. Happy growing everyone:cheese:

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 10:07 AM
About a year ago I got really frustrated with my damaged long hair (I hadn't been caring for it properly AT ALL. I used to straighten it everyday and constantly wash/play with it.) and I grabbed a pair of scissors and chopped my hair to shoulder length. It's gotten long again, it's now past my chest, and this time I have been properly caring for it (no chemicals, no heat styling, jojoba oil) and it's in wonderful shape :cheese: I am glad I cut it!!

lapushka
July 3rd, 2011, 10:58 AM
Doing something drastic is never a good idea. I know this because I did something drastic as a young teen, when I was unhappy with my hair. It was classic then and I hated the fact that I sat on it *every* *damn* *time*. So, I went from classic to a pageboy cut. Big, major change. Our hairdresser tried to stop me, and my mom tried to stop me multiple times, even at the salon, urging me to go shorter but not that short, but no, I kept having this cut-it-all-off-dammit kind of feeling! Regretted it the next day.

If you feel really unhappy and the feeling doesn't go away for weeks, then maybe trim. Don't take it out on your hair, don't do it on emotion or on impulse. Think about it. A slight to medium trim will probably already do wonders. I agree with UltraBella on this.

LyraS
July 4th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I agree nothing drastic should be done. I have this feeling from time to time to just cut it off. But when i do something as little as trimming it, i wonder if i took off too much, if i didn't need to trim that much etc. That's how i know i really don't want short hair though it's quite a pain, quite alot.

turtlelover
July 4th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Try a small trim. If that doesn't work, go for a medium one. Don't do a big chop unless you are 110% sure of what you really want long term!

Kristin
July 4th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Mine annoys me pretty frequently these days, but I'm still not ready to cut. If I did, I wouldn't cut it short- maybe just back to BSL with lots of layers. :)

CarpeDM
July 4th, 2011, 01:16 PM
YES, YES and YES! Everytime I try to style my hair I just want to throw my hands up in the air and give up, that is when I start fantasizing about a nice short chin length bob.......

tabby28
July 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Mine drives me crazy alot of the time - its curly and dry and it gets really tangled and I have to wash it every other day.... blah. I have to work really hard at reminding myself why I want to grow it! I have teeny tiny trims when it gets too much and it really helps because it improves the condition for a few months and keeps me from getting it all chopped off! Might that work for you?

Pumpkin3826
December 21st, 2016, 11:09 AM
RE: Sometimes I just wanna cut all of my hair off

I completely know how you feel, sometimes I wonder if it is all worth it. I just always remind my self one or two "bad or frustrating" hair days is not worth throwing away all your hard work of growing your hair out!!!

I have learned that my "Bad hair days" are simply days where my hair is dirty and in need of a good washing, then the next day I am so thankful I did not cave in on one day of weakness.

;)

Sarahlabyrinth
December 21st, 2016, 11:44 AM
Sometimes I get annoyed with it and imagine cutting it short - then I put those thoughts away, put my hair up in a bun and forget about it until my hair apologises and becomes friends with me once again :)

Also, every time i have chopped it in the past I have regretted it!

spidermom
December 21st, 2016, 02:20 PM
Yep, felt that way over the past 2 years on and off, and when the feeling became more on than off I cut it.

I don't regret it one tiny bit.

thunderseed
December 21st, 2016, 02:54 PM
Many years back, I had beautiful long hair and decided to cut it all off into a short pixie cut and I LOVED it. Just the breeze, the freedom, the feel of it. Everyone always wanted to run their hands through my hair when it was short like that, because it was so fun. It was straight at that length but would hold in place really well even if I stood it on end.
But then some guy told me i looked like a boy so I decided to grow it out again and have had long hair ever since. If I really didn't care what I looked like, i would totally go with short hair again, it felt so amazing and it was so fun to style.

But I look really bad with short hair, and I've gained weight since then too so I don't think I could pull it off.

thunderseed
December 21st, 2016, 02:55 PM
Oh I wish I could edit my posts. Because I forgot to add that I've always been into wigs. So whenever I crave having short hair, I just wear a wig. But it's still not the same feel, with short hair that breeze feels amazing.

young&reckless
December 27th, 2016, 07:03 AM
When I want to chop it all, I organize my hair toys. It's a good reminder of what I won't be able to do with short hair.

Pumpkin3826
December 28th, 2016, 05:18 PM
I completely understand this feeling!!!

It would be so much easier to have short hair, but then I think about how much up keep that would be as well.

There is no winning some days! :lala:

JillRenee
December 28th, 2016, 05:46 PM
I wore a pixie until around ten years ago, when I decided to very slowly grow it out. The short hair took far more money and time to care for. I agree it takes far more upkeep. Not sure that I will ever cut all my hair off again, never say never. But I think long hair suits me better.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 28th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Whenever I feel like chopping it I look at old photos of myself with pixie cuts, and damaged, gross, breaking off hair.
It makes me feel less inclined to rush to chop. Sometimes we get frustrated and forget the progress we have made.
I like to sit on it for 2 weeks, usually tangles mean something else for me and not damage: like build up.
I might just need a good deep treatment, some ACV and maybe a clarifying. Trims and cuts are last option especially since I do monthly trims.

Sulis
December 28th, 2016, 08:58 PM
I've been wanting to cut my hair shorter a lot lately because I've been getting so frustrated with it. Whenever I feel like this I always make myself wait a few weeks and the feeling will go away. Wearing my hair up in a bun or ponytail more frequently helps too

wanaberapunzel
December 29th, 2016, 07:00 AM
I did that once, I got so mad that I shaved it all off but I learned my lesson so never again. Now every time I get the feeling I start looking at other people with long hair. That's always helpful.:D