PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations? Shampoo or conditioner with scent that lingers?

intothemist1999
July 1st, 2011, 12:10 PM
(edited to now search for scented sprays, too, but I'm not having much luck in that regard either - see later posts)

...and must have these requirements:

'cone free
SLS free
cruelty-free
gluten free (wheat, oat proteins)
silk free
ideally vegan

Hehehehe

I've always heard one should avoid 'poos and condition where the scent sticks around because that means it's too heavy on perfumes. However, sometimes one just wants sniff-able hair :D (well, THIS one, at least! lol) Although I'm sensitive to many, I do love scents.

Also I find when my hair is in a bun all day, it sometimes smells a bit...I dunno..."musty" (?) when let down. Sounds gross. Usually that dissipates afterward.

The best one I have for sticking power is Nature's Gate Herbal, which I love. However, it's a fairly heavy-duty scent that I'm often worried might not sit will with people who are situated really near me (for instance, I never use it if going to the dentist, doc, etc).

Bunned or not: "Hello, I'm Mist...and I'm a hair sniffer". :D

Helix
July 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM
I was going to recommend dove intense therapy (original formula in the blue bottle), but it does have a cone in it.

I remember standing near a coworker one day (she's taller than me), and she says "Mmmm..you smell nice." I wasn't wearing any perfume that day so it had to be the conditioner. I had washed my hair two or three days previously and she could still smell it on me. It was just decent for my hair but I kept buying it for the smell .

Maybe you could try Tresemme Naturals. I've heard it smells great from some reviewers (not sure if it lingers) and it's cone-free (even says so on the bottle).

HairFaerie
July 1st, 2011, 04:12 PM
I just started using Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo & Conditioner. They meet all of your requirements and I LOVE the fragrance. I washed two hours ago and I still smell it!

Also, I like to make special "potions" in spray bottles with essential oils. I always get compliments on the smell and my hair is short! Maybe you could try that and spritz it on after you de-bun it.

I really miss that about my hair when it was longer. I LOVE great smelling hair! I can't wait to use my oil misters when my hair is a lot longer.

Good luck!

Love,

A Fellow Hair Sniffer :D

virgo75
July 1st, 2011, 06:06 PM
The 2 I would recommend have already been listed: Nature's Gate Herbal and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose.

The only other suggestion I have is to use a mist or oil with fragrance oils. I know Whole Foods sells essential and fragrance oils that you could apply to your hair for a lovely fragrance of your choice when you take your bun down. Most conditioner scents don't last as long as I'd like in my hair either.

Roseate
July 1st, 2011, 06:28 PM
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose

I third this! The most deliciously fragrant, and the most moisturizing conditioner I have ever used, hands down. The scent lingers for days, but I never find it overpowering.

QueenJoey
July 1st, 2011, 06:36 PM
I have this great deep conditioning stuff that smells just like Hubba-Bubba bubble gum. I love the smell, and I love that it lasts hours even after my hair as dried. I doubt it meets all the requirements, but I know it has no cones and makes my hair feel unbelievably soft and moisturized.

It's called Status Deep Softening Conditioner. It's for professional use only (my aunt has a license and bought it for me), and isn't to be used on the scalp.

Yeah, this was a bad recommendation, but the smell is so heavenly...

Kleis
July 1st, 2011, 06:43 PM
It doesn't fit all your requirements I think (SLS in it?), but I just have to mention... Lush's Henna and Jasmine Fluff-Ease...

HOLY COW JASMINE! DAYS OF JASMINE!

If you want a scent, this will lock itself on your hair with no mercy. None. I felt like a biological weapon.

whitestiletto
July 1st, 2011, 06:50 PM
I absolutely love Sonoma First crus (http://www.amazon.com/Sonoma-Conditioner-First-Crush-12-Ounces/dp/B002NH6MU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1309567736&sr=8-1)h. Don't worry it doesn't smell like artificial grape at all, it's a nice clean and sweet smell. After I use it the whole house smells like it.

Also if your bun smells a bit musty, I know what you're talking about. It happens to me if i put it up still wet and don't touch it at all til dry. I have to either let it down to air out periodically as it dries, or wait till it's totally dry to keep it up.

whitestiletto
July 1st, 2011, 06:52 PM
It doesn't fit all your requirements I think (SLS in it?), but I just have to mention... Lush's Henna and Jasmine Fluff-Ease...

If you want a scent, this will lock itself on your hair with no mercy. None. I felt like a biological weapon.

I'll have to try this... I have a soft spot for both jasmine and biological weapons.

Well it's not a conditioner but I just bought myself rose water and jasmine EO, and mixed them in a spray bottle which I keep in my purse and keep spraying all over my clothes, hair, and face. It fades a bit but it's always on hand now, and when I first spray it, it smells really strongly and it's sooooooooo pretty smelling!

TiaKitty
July 1st, 2011, 08:36 PM
I really like the Etsy shop, Gudonya and GudonyaToo.

I believe they fit your criteria.

And their conditioner is *highly* fragrenced.

My fave is the Mayan Gold, which smells like the perfume called Angel by Thierry Mugler (sp)... kind of a mix of patchouli and chocolate with some amber in there. I'm sure it is more complex than that, in reality, but ooooh does it smell good to me!

http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?search_submit=&q=gudonya

RitaPG
July 1st, 2011, 08:48 PM

I just love your description :rollin: If they put that sentence on an ad, I'd probably buy it :D

Mairéad
July 1st, 2011, 08:56 PM
I don't know of any shampoos and conditioners that leave a scent and meet your requirements.

I remember my days of Pantene and my hair constantly smelling good for hours, but it wasn't the best for my hair. What I do now a days is keep a nice EO in my hair. I always used to have hair that smelled of roses but I haven't done that in awhile.

McFearless
July 1st, 2011, 09:55 PM
Live Clean's Argan oil conditioner. Their whole line pretty much. Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner has a yummy smell that stays in my hair for at least 2 days. Its very cheap too.

intothemist1999
July 1st, 2011, 10:43 PM
Live Clean's Argan oil conditioner. Their whole line pretty much. Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner has a yummy smell that stays in my hair for at least 2 days. Its very cheap too.

Oh, I just LOVE Live Clean! I always have the invigorating formula on hand and yes, the scent hangs on quite well. I just bought the Bali conditioner which is a little different from their other lines and very pleasant. However, it didn't stick around so well.

I just started using Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo & Conditioner. They meet all of your requirements and I LOVE the fragrance. I washed two hours ago and I still smell it!

a

Hehehhe. Thanks! You know, I had it my hand last week at the store and didn't get it -- not sure why as I've heard raves about it here. Could be I had the wrong glasses on and couldn't make out the ingredients...that happens alot these days. hehehe

Ohhh, niiiice! :inlove: I have a rose water spray but it's extremely strong (never thought to dilute it - doi!). Jasmine, I would just LOVE!

I absolutely love Sonoma First crus (http://www.amazon.com/Sonoma-Conditioner-First-Crush-12-Ounces/dp/B002NH6MU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1309567736&sr=8-1)h. Don't worry it doesn't smell like artificial grape at all, it's a nice clean and sweet smell. After I use it the whole house smells like it.

Also if your bun smells a bit musty, I know what you're talking about. It happens to me if i put it up still wet and don't touch it at all til dry. I have to either let it down to air out periodically as it dries, or wait till it's totally dry to keep it up.

I have Desert Essence Red Grape which is very nice and a true grape scent (I know this only from my one stab at making grape jelly lol).

Thanks for the tip about letting it down periodically!

dmarie16
July 1st, 2011, 11:09 PM
Oh I know just what you are looking for!!!!! :bounce:Look at the products on Etsy from Toadstool Soaps!!!! These scents are to DIE for!! They last all day and the store owner is soooo sweet. She makes shampoo, leave in condish, deep treatments, soaps, lotions, in every imaginable scent. I can't even pick a fav but on the tops of my list are Sexy Girl, Pink Sugar, Merapi, Mini Skirt... Yummy :yumm:

SearMeCarefully
July 2nd, 2011, 02:22 AM

Also, I like to make special "potions" in spray bottles with essential oils. I always get compliments on the smell and my hair is short! Maybe you could try that and spritz it on after you de-bun it.

I really miss that about my hair when it was longer. I LOVE great smelling hair! I can't wait to use my oil misters when my hair is a lot longer.

Good luck!

Love,

Mmm' that sounds like a really nice smelling combo.. can you find it in most "health" food stores?

Gulbahar
July 2nd, 2011, 03:50 AM
All the Lush stuff sticks to everything like hell. I didn't like it but I don't like strong scents anyway.

Brianna
July 2nd, 2011, 04:21 AM
Have you tried Goth Rosary's stuff? I don't remember how long it lingers (I had to give them up because of the shipping price) but they have a long line of lovely scents. :D I think they fill all your other criterias, too.

http://www.gothrosary.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6

intothemist1999
July 2nd, 2011, 08:40 AM
I do like Lush, especially Karma. I was disappointed that in their store (not sure about online) they had stuff listed as vegan that wasn't. Thankfully they show all the ingredients.

I'm a bit leary of ordering online due to my initial bad luck with bpal and Possets, but I may check out Goth Rosary. Thanks, though, to those who have suggested oils etc, too...I hadn't really thought of that.

SearMeCarefully
July 2nd, 2011, 11:29 AM
Have you tried Goth Rosary's stuff? I don't remember how long it lingers (I had to give them up because of the shipping price) but they have a long line of lovely scents. :D I think they fill all your other criterias, too.

I really love her stuff! I'm cheap/poor so don't get much but I got some of her conditioner as a gift and it smells really nice. I also have some of her body sprays and solid perfume mmm'!

Schmoomunitions
July 2nd, 2011, 11:49 AM
I second Toadstools soaps! She has a million fragrances and you can get shampoo, conditioner, and deep conditioner . And she puts in ALOT of fragrance! I love "Black Pepper".

McFearless
July 2nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Oh, I just LOVE Live Clean! I always have the invigorating formula on hand and yes, the scent hangs on quite well. I just bought the Bali conditioner which is a little different from their other lines and very pleasant. However, it didn't stick around so well.

I saw their new Bali line the other day and I freaked out. I have so many products I need to use before I can buy new stuff though, sadly. How did the conditioner work for you?

I'm sure this isn't very good for the hair, but I've been know to spritz perfume in my hair, hehe.

oktobergoud
July 2nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
It does have cones but JOHN FRIEDA FRIZZ EASE. When I have used that hair mask, I feel like I'm wearing perfume the whole day! It smells great and really really strong, even when my hair is dry!
But, it's full of cones sadly :P

oktobergoud
July 2nd, 2011, 12:05 PM
It does have cones but JOHN FRIEDA FRIZZ EASE. When I have used that hair mask, I feel like I'm wearing perfume the whole day! It smells great and really really strong, even when my hair is dry!
But, it's full of cones sadly :P

& Stuff from Lush!! But they do have SLS in some of their masks/deep conditioners etc. But they smell amazing and the smell last forever!

Scarlet_Heart
July 2nd, 2011, 12:22 PM
I cowash with Suave Tropical Coconut and the dreamy scent of coconut lingers on my hair for at least 2 days. No cones, no SLS.

HairFaerie
July 2nd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Mmm' that sounds like a really nice smelling combo.. can you find it in most "health" food stores?

Yes! I have seen Aubrey Organics in several health food stores. If you are in the US, I got mine from The Vitamin Shoppe.

HairFaerie
July 2nd, 2011, 02:38 PM
I washed & conditioned my hair with the Honeysuckle Rose that I mentioned and 1 day later....I still smell it! I smoke too! AMAZING! (It's not an overpowering smell though, it's subtle...but it lasts!)

SearMeCarefully
July 2nd, 2011, 11:16 PM
I washed & conditioned my hair with the Honeysuckle Rose that I mentioned and 1 day later....I still smell it! I smoke too! AMAZING! (It's not an overpowering smell though, it's subtle...but it lasts!)

I totally got it today. Looks like I have a wash coming up.

it was kind of expensive.. for what I use. I usually use cone free cheap conditioner lol. Ah well it will last me awhile as I don't shampoo much. It does smell really nice, I hope it sticks to my hair! =] :flower: Thank you

adiapalic
July 2nd, 2011, 11:33 PM
I use AOHR... have been for a few years now--it's my all time favorite. I buy mine on Amazon, 11oz for $8.99 + 99 cent shipping. One bottle lasts me few months.

I'm always on here raving about it when I get the chance. The smell lasts in my hair for days. Absolutely love it. :)

Hiriel
July 3rd, 2011, 09:59 AM
The 2 I would recommend have already been listed: Nature's Gate Herbal and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose.

The only other suggestion I have is to use a mist or oil with fragrance oils. I know Whole Foods sells essential and fragrance oils that you could apply to your hair for a lovely fragrance of your choice when you take your bun down. Most conditioner scents don't last as long as I'd like in my hair either.

Yeah, I think the simplest solution would be to add the scent you want to a mister bottle. I have my Kimberlily defrizz spray scented with lily of the valley :)

intothemist1999
July 20th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I'm sure this isn't very good for the hair, but I've been know to spritz perfume in my hair, hehe.

I am sooooo tempted!

I'm not having any luck finding shampoo or conditioner, and the essential oils I've been trying just aren't working (and i have to put so much in the mixture to get any scent into the spray!!)

I even tried a Rosewater & Glyerin spray I had -- it smells very strong (which is why I didn't use it previously) but again, the scent doesn't hold.

Maybe it's my hair. :shrug: :(

eta: no luck with the Aubrey H&R either (I think I was looking at some other product last week when I thought that's what I saw). I'm wondering if they don't sell it in Canada, as I've checked out several likely locations.

intothemist1999
July 20th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I'll have to try this... I have a soft spot for both jasmine and biological weapons.

Well it's not a conditioner but I just bought myself rose water and jasmine EO, and mixed them in a spray bottle which I keep in my purse and keep spraying all over my clothes, hair, and face. It fades a bit but it's always on hand now, and when I first spray it, it smells really strongly and it's sooooooooo pretty smelling!

So you mixed them straight?

Maybe that's my problem, I've also been trying Kimberlily's defrizz spray with different scents but with no luck.

Maybe my Rosewater & Glycerin spray I've been using is too old to hold its scent.

intothemist1999
August 16th, 2011, 07:16 PM

I checked out GudonyaToo and Toadstool, and the former had wheat in the products and the latter has vitamin E (usually sourced from wheat). I've contacted both to see if they have alternatives.

I saw their new Bali line the other day and I freaked out. I have so many products I need to use before I can buy new stuff though, sadly. How did the conditioner work for you?

I'm sooo tempted! I like all the Live Clean that I've tried. The newest one I've tried is the Argan, which someone here suggested. I have to say, the LC always leaves my hair super shiney!!

archel
August 16th, 2011, 07:40 PM
It's not a conditioner, but the Aveda Brilliant shine spray smells INCREDIBLE and lasts and lasts and lasts. It has their signature ylang ylang blend that's in a lot of their products. It's also cone free and quite lightweight. I love this stuff SO MUCH and can't stop smelling my hair when I use it.

chelles2kids
August 16th, 2011, 09:20 PM

I second the AntiSally products...I would suggest ordering the 'sample' set of scents though...it's been a while since I placed my last order from her but it used to be around $5.00 for the sample set.

She has alot of really great scents but I would recommend a sniff test first because they all smell sooo great and it's always hard for me to imagine what something will smell like by a description.:p

dRummie
August 16th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Uh.. so I bet this isn't what you're looking for, but I couldn't resist: the JessiCurly conditioner I use lingers. Oh boy, does it ever. I can rinse it as much as I want, and the smell will still be there on the third day.

Only problem, it's not a perfumy sort of smell :( It's a lovely herbal bouquet that's very enjoyable in the shower, but at least for me, it's not the sort of smell I'd like permanently on my hair. Just thought I'd mention it, since everyone's taste is different. It's not a bad smell, but too "herbaly" for my liking.

spidergoat
August 16th, 2011, 11:16 PM

I believe they fit your criteria.

And their conditioner is *highly* fragrenced.

My fave is the Mayan Gold, which smells like the perfume called Angel by Thierry Mugler (sp)... kind of a mix of patchouli and chocolate with some amber in there. I'm sure it is more complex than that, in reality, but ooooh does it smell good to me!

http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?search_submit=&q=gudonya

Wow! Thanks for sharing that link :) I want to buy out the entire store!

Loviatar
August 17th, 2011, 02:47 AM
I;'ve used Goth Rosary in the past but I've recently discovered OliviaMorgana on etsy. I dont know if they fit your ingredient requirements though.