PDA

View Full Version : Will 30vol damage my hair?

sunnydays
July 1st, 2011, 09:15 AM
I recently had my hair dyed brown, as a hairdresser completly messed up my highlights and so I went brown as I didnt see how it could be fixed. Now I am really missing my highlights, its been about 2months that I have had the dark, I really want to have some highlights put in, say maybe half a head and gradually build them back up again, would 30vol be damaging as underneath my brown I have highlights?

UltraBella
July 1st, 2011, 09:23 AM
Well, I remember you stating that 40vol was used last time. And you said your hair looked dry and damaged when curly, so you should proceed with caution. Yes, it will damage your hair, but many people have highlights and, although damaging, their hair is healthy overall. I have highlights, my hair is very healthy. I suggest a strand test......

sunnydays
July 1st, 2011, 09:35 AM
Well, I remember you stating that 40vol was used last time. And you said your hair looked dry and damaged when curly, so you should proceed with caution. Yes, it will damage your hair, but many people have highlights and, although damaging, their hair is healthy overall. I have highlights, my hair is very healthy. I suggest a strand test......

Yes maybe I will get a hairdresser to do a strand test, i have been looking after it well since then and giving it lots of care and it feels no where near at dry, it has got alot of shine back as well, I suppose the worst they could tell me is, I have to wait a while for it to grow out some more. I do love highlights to.

My hair is lightening alot each month the brown has got lighter, do you think it will reach a peak? or keep on lightening? Before I could only see one or two highlights peaking through from underneath now I have lots :)

sunnydays
July 1st, 2011, 09:36 AM

Also luckily was only the middle section that was like that and was only highlights, I dread to think what an all over colour would have done to my hair using 40vol, and the 40vol ones were very fine luckily

Lianna
July 1st, 2011, 10:32 AM
Of course I agree with the Queen of Layers ;) but whatever you do, don't let it sit too long. Most disasters I've seen came from letting it too long! Maybe you could do a protein treatment before and after. And use coconut oil before the action (don't rinse it out).

celebriangel
July 1st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Um...sorry for being captain obvious, here, but it's peroxide. Yes. Yes it will damage your hair. All peroxide and bleach damages hair, just to varying degrees.

I agree with Lianna - do an oiling with coconut oil on your whole head at least an hour before you get the highlights. This will help to mitigate the damage.