PDA

View Full Version : I want to blow dry again

Um Enis
June 23rd, 2008, 05:47 AM
I haven't blow-dried in years and years. I just got my hair cut in the salon and I let her blow dry... and oh how I miss it.

I don't need to blow-dry to straighten, but what I really, really miss the most is how every single strand is completely silky and separate. As opposed to clingy, tangled, and eventually clumped up and stringy.

So this question is 2 part:
1. Is there any way to occasionally blow-dry my hair without damaging it?

2. Is there anyway to acheive the "separate strand" thing without blowdrying? Or at least the silky feeling!

Nat242
June 23rd, 2008, 05:52 AM
Do you think that "separate strand" feeling is due to the heat styling, or the brushing that accompanies it?

You can always blow dry your hair on the cool setting, and you won't get heat damage (obviously). Your hair can still suffer mechanical damage from the combing/brushing or friction that accompanies the process.

Sorry I can't be more helpful :shrug:

-- Natalie

Riot Crrl
June 23rd, 2008, 06:03 AM
What's your hair type? Diffusing on cool is supposed to be halfway decent for wavies and curlies, but that's with totally not separating it in any way while doing so.

FrannyG
June 23rd, 2008, 06:09 AM
Yes, it's time to get your hair type and length stats in your profile, so that we can give you more informed advice. :)

I'm wondering if what you're feeling in your hair is from the use of cones in the conditioner that the salon may have used rather than the blowdryer. Are you currently using cones or are you non-cone? If you are currently non-cone, maybe you want to give them a try.

I can't in good conscience recommend blow-drying, because of my own personal experiences with it, but I do know that there are others on the board who do blowdry successfully. Perhaps one of them will drop by.

lora410
June 23rd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Yes, it's time to get your hair type and length stats in your profile, so that we can give you more informed advice. :)

I'm wondering if what you're feeling in your hair is from the use of cones in the conditioner that the salon may have used rather than the blowdryer. Are you currently using cones or are you non-cone? If you are currently non-cone, maybe you want to give them a try.

I can't in good conscience recommend blow-drying, because of my own personal experiences with it, but I do know that there are others on the board who do blowdry successfully. Perhaps one of them will drop by.

I also second what franny said. I used to get the stringy hair from cones.

nicolina
June 23rd, 2008, 07:26 AM
It depends on your hair type and length, obviously, but I get that separate-strand thing if I finger-comb my hair while it air dries. I've also found my hair much silkier since switching to CO washing.

Katze
June 23rd, 2008, 07:47 AM
I have to third the idea of 'cones. That's probably what's making your hair feel different. Salons want you as a customer, remember; they want you to love the feeling of your hair afterwards!

That said, occasional blowdrying, on low and with the dryer held at a distance from the hair, really isn't such a bad thing.

My hair is fine and damaged. I mostly airdry (while sleeping) but occasionally I wash during the day and need to get my hair dry before going out. It's cold and damp here, and going out with a wet head, even under a hat, subjects me to chills and ear infections. So I am known to blowdry my hair, often to encourage the wave or volume at the scalp, sometimes for special occasions. I always wait until my hair has airdryed a bit on its own, then focus on drying my scalp and drying out my ears.

Another thing I do is to "plop" my hair on top of my head in a towel, wait a while for it to blot dry, then dry the whole thing (towel with hair inside) with the blowdryer.

Given the climate I live in, I can't imagine going year-round without occasional drying. We don't have clothes dryers here, or central heating, as I was used to in the USA, and things like hot baths and occasional use of the blowdryer, especially for my ears, really help me be able to survive a dark, wet winter.

spidermom
June 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM
I can't decide if blow-drying is really all that bad or not. I don't do it often, but when I do, I use a warm setting at the scalp area and cool from about shoulder length down. I use a wide-tooth comb to hold my hair out, and I don't pull at it. I like the result. My hair turns out straight, smooth, shiny, and silky. I don't have near the tangling problems that I do when I let it air dry, and I think untangling causes damage too. However, I have more than a personally acceptable number of split ends, although I suspect I'm reaching for a level of perfection that just isn't possible for my hair type. From arm length away, my ends look great. They feel good, too.

bex487
June 23rd, 2008, 08:53 AM
I blowdry my hair quite often (2-3 times a week) and my hair is surprisingly very healthy. I do certain things that help, though.

-Get a microfiber towel to dry your hair. It soaks up most of the moisture, drying your hair much quicker than a normal towel does. I gently squeeze my hair a few times over the span of 10 minutes or so, and get rid of at least 1/3 - 1/2 of the moisture.

-Buy heat protectant styling products. I use a leave-in on my ends, and it helps protect them while I blow dry.

-Never hold the blowdryer really close to your head, keep it at least 6-8 inches away from hair.

spidermom
June 23rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
I truly don't think that my split ends are because of occasional blow-drying, which I might have implied above. I think they're far more likely to be due to 1) twisting for buns, 2) pulling strands apart for S&D, 3) detangling, 4) sunshine -- and not necessarily in the order given.

mommy2one05
June 23rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
I would think that if you blow dry on a cool setting then you would be avoidint the "heat" damage.

ChloeDharma
June 24th, 2008, 01:46 AM
I don't blowdry my hair as a rule....but i do think it can be done without having to cause much damage. As has been said making sure the heat isn't too high is very importand, cool-warm is best. Keep the nozzle facing down the hair so that the air blows towards the ends in flow with the way the cuticle lies.....if you blow up the hair it can ruffle up the cuticle causing damage and making the hair less shiney and increasing frizz and tangles. Allow the hair to dry a bit before using the dryer....also don't blow it bone dry....one of the problems with using a hairdryer appart from the heat is that if you use it to dry the hair too much then it causes the hair to loose too much moisture.
Oh the other thing, try not to let it blow the hair all over the place as that can cause tangling.

I also picked up on the idea somebody else had that maybe it's the brushing that gives the seperation and smoothness you are enjoying....maybe it would be an idea to try airdrying then smoothing the hair with a BBB? Though blow drying done properly does set the hair in a certain shape which i'd think would give longer lasting results.

atlantaz3
June 24th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I blowdry my hair quite often (2-3 times a week) and my hair is surprisingly very healthy. I do certain things that help, though.

-Get a microfiber towel to dry your hair. It soaks up most of the moisture, drying your hair much quicker than a normal towel does. I gently squeeze my hair a few times over the span of 10 minutes or so, and get rid of at least 1/3 - 1/2 of the moisture.

-Buy heat protectant styling products. I use a leave-in on my ends, and it helps protect them while I blow dry.

-Never hold the blowdryer really close to your head, keep it at least 6-8 inches away from hair.

I used to blow dry about the same 2-3 times a week. I also use a microfiber towel and it really does help. 5-10 minutes with my head up in the towel has really reduced the blow dryer time. I also use a ionic dryer - not sure if it has really made any difference. Now during the summer I blow dry about once a week and air dry if possible the other wash days - but I just don't like sitting around with a damp head.
I do somewhat regular smt's and usually finish my wash with a diluted vinegar rinse. For me I haven't really noticed any major damage from blow drying. Maybe my hair isn't growing as fast as I would like, but I don't notice any fewer split ends from air drying. Disclaimer - this works for me - I think we each have to find our own methods.

bex487
June 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I have an ionic/ceramic dryer, too! I have noticed that my hair seems to dry a heck of a lot faster. I'm with you, unless I'm swimming or something I hate sitting around with wet hair. I've tried cutting back the drying, but my hair is in a layered style now and tends to look better with a bit of styling. I have limited my drying time to under 5 minutes, though by using that microfiber towel.