PDA

View Full Version : Do you scalp massage or not? If not why? If so, how often, what method?

shikara
July 1st, 2011, 12:33 AM
I know there are a number of methods that can be used- intertwining fingers and cupping your hands on top of your hair then using gentle pressure and movement to move the scallp, getting your fingers right in there making small circular movements, among others. Do you scalp massage? How do you manipulate your scalp? How often do you do this?

Dreamspell
July 1st, 2011, 12:57 AM
For a lot of methods that I read about, I find hard to understand or too time-consuming or end up hurting my neck. For me, I like to keep it simple, circular motions starting at the nape of the neck and working up to the forehead. Then I shake my hair at the root a little and I'm done. Scalp massage is most effect done every night, before bed, which is why my method is pretty simple and easy and non time-comsuming (much better have a simple method that you will do often rather then a complex method that takes a while that you wouldn't be able to keep up with).

QueenJoey
July 1st, 2011, 01:21 AM
I rub small circular motions all over my scalp for a couple minutes, then I tilt my head upside down and gently tug my roots, then do this quick back and forth vibrating thing. At least, I do that when I have lots of time, as it can take almost 10 minutes sometimes to be really thorough. I tried doing that every morning and night for about a week, but now I just do the circular motions, and only every once in awhile. Maybe like once every other day. Feels so good and relaxing, and when I do it while applying hair growth stuff, I feel like this really gets it in and working.

khan
July 1st, 2011, 11:07 AM
I do when I brush it out before putting it up for the day. That's the time I luxuriate in my hair. I bend forward, brush it out, massage my scalp until it tingles and then play. I think my hair is healthier, stronger and thicker.

ashamanjababu
July 1st, 2011, 11:12 AM
I usually only massage right before washing, and then make small circles with my fingertips for about 3 minutes.

I also use a bamboo-peg brush almost daily, and I think that gives a pretty good massage.

Zesty
July 1st, 2011, 11:15 AM
I usually do a scalp massage before I wash it, because playing in it tends to make it greasier. I flip my head upside down (sometimes bending over from the waist, sometimes with my head hanging over the side of the bed, sometimes both) and detangle, then I basically just rub my scalp with the pads of my fingers and scritch with my comb. Feels nice and tingly, and my scalp itches less afterwards.

IanB
July 1st, 2011, 11:28 AM
Scalp massaghe! Tes, but with very gentle circular movements using just the fleshy tips of the finger (no finger nails)

celebriangel
July 1st, 2011, 01:32 PM
I do it every day (or I was, before I moved house. It's been 3 days since I last did it...must get back into habit). I used Snowymoon's Massage Technique http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15976

Because it's a preening method as well as a massage, it has improved the feel of my ends, and prevents my scalp from feeling gunky since I wash so infrequently (once every 10 days or so. I can and have gone longer, but by this point I normally just want to.)

spidermom
July 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
I like leaning over so that my hair falls toward the floor, then dragging the tines of my hardwood comb over my scalp. That's the best scalp massage for me.

Lianna
July 1st, 2011, 03:33 PM
If I was to do it, I'd do it just for the circulation leading to faster growth. Just using castor oil is easier for me (I don't massage it, just use an applicator bottle).

Delila
July 1st, 2011, 03:46 PM
I use my BBB, all over my scalp. Feels great. Somehow I can never stick with the more standard actual massage techniques.

RubyEmpress
July 1st, 2011, 03:54 PM
I was just massaging my scalp getting ready for a wash as I came across this thread lol
I massage by using my fingertip pads and making small circular motions all over the scalp.

Aredhel77
July 1st, 2011, 03:57 PM
I oiled my scalp tonight as it's been a bit itchy for over a week. I used a homemade coconut/essential oil blend and it's already relieving it. I applied it with a dropper and massaged my scalp well with my fingertips.

Kdc0180
July 1st, 2011, 11:15 PM
Before I go to bed every night I lay over the side of my bed upside down and rub massage my scalp for a couple of minutes. Very relaxing :)

gthlvrmx
July 1st, 2011, 11:25 PM
I love scalp massages! Works great on me, i see better growth because of it :)
I try to do it at least 5 times a week, at LEAST once a day for 10 minutes.

I start from the very front and use the pads of my fingers and move the scalp in circles, NOT moving around the hair like im scratching :p It just doesn't feel relaxing when i do it to myself. I make small circles and go very slowly my first two rounds to the back of my head, then apply more pressure and go a little faster as i repeat every time.
Feels so good that i usually i cannot even keep up till 15 min without stopping because i get soo relaxed i feel like falling asleep in happiness (sorry, i've ALWAYS loved the feeling of people scratching my touching my head) or my hands cramp :p

No oil, but i do massage after applying Rooibos tea spray every single time :) I figured why not get more blood circulating? It can only be good right?

Henrietta
July 3rd, 2011, 12:56 PM
I simply use the circular motions technique. Sometimes before wash, sometimes during wash, to make a shampoo working better. Mainly when I need to relax.